GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"land of the dead demo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green'.
Sun 16/10/05 at 08:05
Regular
"Captain to you."
Don't waste your time with it.

I think it's using an unreal engine not sure which one but it's not the latest. The game play is slow and simple, the fact that it's so slow means that no zombie ever gets to you as it's one shot per zombie straight through the head.

There are a few bodies on the floor but rather than the classic bite to leg the zombie gets up making noise and taking about 2-3 seconds before it comes for you meaning to get too much warning that there's one behind you.

They just seemed to have missed what would have made this game truely great, even the super simple ravenholm was closer to what i'd want a zombie game to be like.

Rather than this check out F.E.A.R and the Suffering 2
Sun 16/10/05 at 15:10
Regular
"Captain to you."
Pandaemonium wrote:
> Just put my finger on something. It plays, looks and feels very, very
> similar to Postal 2

Postal 2 looked a lot better than this graphically IMO.
Sun 16/10/05 at 14:18
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
cipro wrote:
> And while I haven't seen the movie, I think I'm
> right in guessing it doesn't contain acid spitting zombies?

Nope, but that's one part of the game I really thought was cool. But then, I love seeing bowking zombies.
Sun 16/10/05 at 14:11
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Oh deary me, it's terrible, and those have to be some of the worst weapons I've ever seen in a game. Why on earth do six shots from a revolver AT CLOSE RANGE fail to drop a zombie to the ground even when I'm shooting him in the head? and the shotgun, christ, at close range it should be able to part zombies heads from their shoulders, yet even firing four shots, the damn thing barely seems to hit anything.

Melee weapons are terrible to, shouldn't an axe be able to decapitate a zombie? well, not here it doesn't. What’s especially annoying is that when a zombie hits you, you stumble around the place for a few seconds falling to the ground, dazed, before getting up just in time to be hit again. And while I haven't seen the movie, I think I'm right in guessing it doesn't contain acid spitting zombies?

Dreadful, it's going to need allot of work to make it even mildly enjoyable, but I'm not much a believer in miracles so I'm not holding out any hope.
Sun 16/10/05 at 12:52
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
monkey_man wrote:
> Oh dear, that stank. Worst demo ever, the presentation was the
> most scary thing.

Just put my finger on something. It plays, looks and feels very, very similar to Postal 2, but without the over the top setting fire to people, p**** them out and taking their heads off with a spade (which to be honest was the only reason to play Postal 2, which was using dated tech before it was even released)
Sun 16/10/05 at 11:20
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Oh dear, that stank. Worst demo ever, the presentation was the most scary thing.
Sun 16/10/05 at 10:45
Regular
"8==="
Not yet, will it run on a 450?

Edit: I tend to rule out PC demos because of my comp's low specs and because I don't like the controls.

I have seen the demo footage and although the Zombies appear slow I think limited ammo + large numbers of zombies could equal some frantic fun.
Sun 16/10/05 at 10:38
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Have you downloaded and had a look at the demo?
Sun 16/10/05 at 10:30
Regular
"8==="
Well I didn't think much of the Max Payne demo which went pretty far but the finished product was a lot better.
Sun 16/10/05 at 10:29
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Hedfix wrote:
> But a lot of them aren't good representations of the full product.
> They're simply small tasters.

Yeah, but when a demo sucks royally, like this LOTD demo, you can pretty much guarantee that the full product isn't going to be a whole lot better.
Sun 16/10/05 at 10:28
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Hedfix wrote:
> But a lot of them aren't good representations of the full product.
> They're simply small tasters.

Not so with PC demos, they're normally so you can see whether the damn thing will run on your damn system. I think we've got to the stage now where bugs and errors are fixed via patch downloads, which isn't as common with consoles (yet).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.