GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Revolution - Any basic info?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 24/10/05 at 14:20
Regular
Anyone give me a link (or answers) for the following info:

1. Any idea of launch date/price etc?
2. How will the whole backwards compatibility work?
3. Will it purely be for games or play DVD's etc?
4. Any form of online play planned?

Cheers :-)
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:30
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
> That's nice Hedfix.... does that mean they can't make games for
> Nintendo then??

Well considering how ID staff have heavily sided with the 360, with 3D realms being rather happy with it too: quite probably.
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:28
Regular
Ah dear old IGN. Good for news but their staff are ever so flawed.
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:21
Regular
"NJAN"
Hedfix wrote:
> amos wrote:
>
> If MP3 is developed as a FPS (not as a FPA, as Dringo said) and has
> the new Revo controller implemented properly, I think it could be a
> Halo beater.
>
> Hell, if MP3 is a straight FPS (without the new controller), it
> would
> be a Halo beater!
>
> Well, here's hoping anyway!
>
> Halo's quite old now for a current generation game. They really want
> to be setting their sights on Halo 2/Prey/Quake 4

Well I was including both halo and halo 2 when I said 'halo'. And from what I read, Quake 4 isn't supposed to be overly great...
"There's a lot of shiny wrapping, but the gift inside is disappointingly small." - IGN
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:16
Regular
That's nice Hedfix.... does that mean they can't make games for Nintendo then??

Namco, Capcom and SquareSoft used to be in bed with Sony. Now they are major supporters of Nintendo.

The fact is the Revolution could see new versions of Doom 3, Half Life 2, Quake 4 etc... using the new control system. Much like Doom and Quake appeared on the N64.
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:12
Regular
"8==="
Except MS are already in bed with a lot of PC FPS designers thanks to Windows etc.
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:08
Regular
Well it has good developement software, always a strong point for Nintendo.

PC FPS designers will love the oppertunity to develop FPS games on a control system that surpasses the keyboard/mouse system. Similar specifications or not.

Half Life 2 is already due for next gen systems.
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:05
Regular
"8==="
Dringo wrote:
>
> I for one would welcome it. Especially if it brings as many FPS
> developers Nintendo's way as it has Microsoft.

Ir won't unless the Cube has really good development software and PC architecture.
Mon 07/11/05 at 22:04
Regular
"8==="
amos wrote:
>
> If MP3 is developed as a FPS (not as a FPA, as Dringo said) and has
> the new Revo controller implemented properly, I think it could be a
> Halo beater.
>
> Hell, if MP3 is a straight FPS (without the new controller), it would
> be a Halo beater!
>
> Well, here's hoping anyway!

Halo's quite old now for a current generation game. They really want to be setting their sights on Halo 2/Prey/Quake 4
Mon 07/11/05 at 21:59
Regular
The revolution will be cheaper to develop for and smaller developers will go for it. They'll also be able to use their imagination to create something fresh and a big hit on the system, therefore making a name for themselves.

It'll be a big draw for new and smaller developers.
Mon 07/11/05 at 21:55
Regular
"I got a great Idea"
i think alot of small developers will be drawn to nintendo, actually i think it was someone on here that said it,

but i can imagion them looking at the ps3, thinking "oh we could relaly go to town on graphics, but what else is there?"

and then theres nintendo, who can provide them with a truly creative control system, where games can go in alot of directions,

also a thing of note, seems as games will be able to be downloaded, maybe it will be possible for small game developers to just release games to be downloaded, just like rag doll kung foo did through valve, which makes it much easier for them smaller teams to get there game out there at a cheap price...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.