GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Betting League - Roma Vs Arsenal"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/11/02 at 18:53
Regular
Foreman started his League - and now it's war! Basically, expect me to get to every good game first so he can't do them.
Oh, and I thank you all for rewarding my hard work with your votes in the Notable election. All none of you. :-)
Mandatare 9000
phi11ip 5100
Reddy 1170
Reynolds 260
XRALi/Tequila Sunset 260
El Blokey 90
Figo 8
Foreman 5
AfroJoe 5
Expletive Deleted 5
Jetster 5
James Pond 5
Solskjaer 1
Dead Wonder 1
Natbuc 1
Ortega 1
Mr. Ritze 1
Quinty 1
Absolut Neo 1
Shadow 1
Badgerman 1

5 times wypo if Roma win
6 times wypo if Arsenal win
4 times wypo if it's a draw

*If you lose all your points in the Barce-Real event, you will automatically put 1 point on your choice.
Thu 28/11/02 at 16:26
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> To me, last night's game was just poor. Poor games also have goals, it
> doesn't make it a great victory.

Funny, because everyone else is saying it was a great game.

> Personally, I think PSV are an average side in european terms, and I
> never expected Arsenal to lose it. I don't rate Roma as one of the
> better teams either.

Again, different to most others.

> And your record against other teams like Juventus - who Man U have
> also beaten in recent years - is hardly evidence of your fantastic
> form in the last 2 months, or lack thereof.

I didn't say it was evidence of fantastic form, I said it was evidence that we're not doing too badly.

> but frankly, with the amount of possession Arsenal had last night,
> they should have created more chances.

They did create more chances, but not all of them were taken. Did you watch the actual match, or just hte highlights?!

> 3-1 is a flattering result. 2-1 perhaps you deserved, maybe 2-2.

No, 3-1 was a respectable result from a good but not outstanding performance. Fortunately, your opinion - while you are entitled to it - differs from pretty much everyone else. We know it was a good win for us, as do most other people who give a damn about football - particularly given Arsenal's European away form in recent seasons.

> Consider what the difference was for you last night - a lucky drop for
> Henry (very lucky)

He still had to be there and finish it, which he did. How many lucky breaks has RVN capitalised on recently? Do you feel the same about those?

> and a free kick which could easilly have been taken a few
> seconds later and been taken away by the wind.

Oh, so now Mother Nature herself is Gooner, eh? You can say the same about practically every free kick that Beckham has ever taken!

Still, I'm well aware that much of what you're saying is more than likely for the sake of argument, so I'm going to stop giving you the satisfaction now.

You really should buy your grapes in-season - maybe then they wouldn't be so sour.
Thu 28/11/02 at 15:31
"Darkness, always"
To me, last night's game was just poor. Poor games also have goals, it doesn't make it a great victory.

Personally, I think PSV are an average side in european terms, and I never expected Arsenal to lose it. I don't rate Roma as one of the better teams either.

And your record against other teams like Juventus - who Man U have also beaten in recent years - is hardly evidence of your fantastic form in the last 2 months, or lack thereof.

Losing to Everton is hardly a class performance, however well they're doing this season, and you can argue til you're blue in the face, but frankly, with the amount of possession Arsenal had last night, they should have created more chances. 3-1 is a flattering result. 2-1 perhaps you deserved, maybe 2-2.

And I've said the same of utd, 3-1 on tuesday was flattering, we barely deserved the win.

I may be a Manchester United fan, but that doesn't mean that everything my team does is impeccable, win or lose. Consider what the difference was for you last night - a lucky drop for Henry (very lucky), and a free kick which could easilly have been taken a few seconds later and been taken away by the wind.

Not a world class performance by any means, and Roma WERE just poor.

I'm not saying that means Arsenal are poor, but they aren't as good as they should be given their ability to keep the ball.

Simple
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:57
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> No, that is a typical response from a biased Arsenal fan. "we're
> great whatever we do".

I didn't say that!

> Sure, you had 55% of the possession, but what did you do with it?
> Create one decent chance which you were lucky enough to put away.

And Roma did exactly the same - the most fortunate goal of the night. There was little that was 'fortunate' about any of our goals, except maybe the way the ball broke for Henry's second.

> that Arsenal are dominating games without creating enough chances to do
> them justice.

We scored three goals against a top European side. The fact that it wasn't one of our greatest performances just makes it a better result.

Just who do we have to beat for you to give us any credit? We've beaten Juventus and Deportivo, who United are apparently wary of. We've beaten PSV and Borussia Dortmund. Granted we've also lost to them, but so have many other teams.

Before the first group started, we had "ooh, PSV will be a test for the Arsenal". Beat them 4-0. Then before this group, it was "ooh, Roma and Valencia will be a test for Arsenal". Well, we beat Roma, and now it's "oh, Roma didn't deserve it anyway - poor performance".

Maybe it was our performance that shut them out and stopped them playing well? We did, after all, force them to change their formation.

But no, it's always a poor performance by the other team and never a good performance by Arsenal - anything to avoid giving credit.

Even the best team in the world lost 1-0 on Tuesday, and have failed to score in their last six games. So presumably, even if we were to meet and beat them now, that wouldn't give us any credibilty in your eyes either.

> You said yourself that you dominated the game over the weekend, but
> couldn't get the goals.

Yes, and sometimes that happens. After the immense unbeaten run, it was inevitable that some defeats would come along, and that much would be made of it.

But let's remember that domestically, we are approaching the half-way stage, and we have still lost only three games. Liverpool have lost less, but are still behind us - so obviously we are winning more, and drawing fewer.

And in among those defeats is also a run of four games unbeaten, three of which were wins for us.

> It's not good enough.

Is it not? Top of the domestic league, and top of our group in the second phase of the Champion's League. Despite some inconsistent form. That seems pretty good to me.

> If Utd were doing the same (which they have been
> in some cases), I would lament them as much.

On the contrary, if United were in our position, I rather suspect you'd be shouting it from the rooftops.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:50
"Darkness, always"
§n][pe® wrote:
> doesnt show the fact that they have the world class players is it and
> ur probably celebrating over a win against Basle away which is better
> us vs Roma or urs?

Sniper, to me, is a "typical Man Utd fan"
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:47
Regular
doesnt show the fact that they have the world class players is it and ur probably celebrating over a win against Basle away which is better us vs Roma or urs?
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:40
Regular
I think the fact that Roma havnt won a single home game in the champions league this season says somthin...

They play the traditional italian "defend for 90 minutes" crap. And only attack when they fall behind. Although, i expect them to get a result at highbury, especially after they won at the bernabeu.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:33
"Darkness, always"
And I think you Arsenal goons need to re-assess what you call a "typical man utd fan", since in reality, most "typical man utd fans" actually now support Arsenal.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:26
"Darkness, always"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> A typical response from a biased ManYoo fan, not giving any credit
> where it's due! :-) We had 55% of the possesion in the first half,
> more I think in the second where we mostly controlled the game.

No, that is a typical response from a biased Arsenal fan. "we're great whatever we do". Sure, you had 55% of the possession, but what did you do with it? Create one decent chance which you were lucky enough to put away. I commented on this earlier on (which you seem to have unjustly ignored), that Arsenal are dominating games without creating enough chances to do them justice. You said yourself that you dominated the game over the weekend, but couldn't get the goals.

It's not good enough. If Utd were doing the same (which they have been in some cases), I would lament them as much.

Uniteds form this season has been nothing short of inconsistent. Sure, we've had injuries, but the richest club in the world shouldn't have to worry about a few missing people. But we've struggled, and conceding 3 goals to Newcastle, although we scored 5, is still signs of a shaky team.

> Football is all about putting away the chances you create. We did,
> they didn't. FC Basle also had many chances which they didn't convert
> to goals, whereas United did. The difference is, Roma are a top side
> who you expect to create and score chances, and it didn't take us an
> hour to get back into the game. It's not flattering, it was earned.

As mentioned earlier, it's all very well putting away the chances you get, but at the moment, you aren't creating anough of them, especially given Arsenal's tendancy to completely dominate a game from the midfield. The scoreline was flattering. especially when you consider that a different referee could have awarded two penalties against you. Roma certainly didn't deserve to win the game, I'll admit that, but arsenal we far from outstanding.
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:25
"High polygon count"
http://www.football365.com/You_Say_We_say (SPACE) /Football365_Opinion/story_48590.shtml

What a wonderfully honest article from a neutral. :-)
Thu 28/11/02 at 14:13
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> To me, you haven't fully recovered your form following your historic
> stretch of defeats.

Not fully, but we're not far off. Our mistake, I think, has been bringing back two players at exacty the same time who have just recovered from serious surgery, and are not match fit (Pires and Ljungberg).

Our team was perfectly balanced prior to that, and these two are not currently match fit. Their re-introduction has screwed up the balance slightly, but when they're fully fit, I think we'll see a return to the amazsing form that swept us through last season.

Anyway, despite all this, we are still winning games against top-flight European opposition - and away from home, too, which is something we could never manage before.

So yes, I think we're doing okay.

> And beating Roma was hardly a trouncing, you got very lucky

A typical response from a biased ManYoo fan, not giving any credit where it's due! :-) We had 55% of the possesion in the first half, more I think in the second where we mostly controlled the game.

> and the result was flattering in terms of the chances you got, and
> those you gave away.

Football is all about putting away the chances you create. We did, they didn't. FC Basle also had many chances which they didn't convert to goals, whereas United did. The difference is, Roma are a top side who you expect to create and score chances, and it didn't take us an hour to get back into the game. It's not flattering, it was earned.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.