GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your albums of 2002"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/10/02 at 23:48
Regular
So, it's been an intersting year in music, an... actually, I can't be bothered to do a poncy intro, just tell me your favourite albums and songs of the year, because I'm going to tell you mine:

Albums of the Year:

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
I'd only been briefly introduced to them before, but on the first listen of this little beauty, I was hooked. Pure rock fury, and no mistake.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Not exactly what I was expecting (by the first single), a more chilled-out, surfed-up approach from the Chili Peppers. After a few listens it really grows on you, definitely one of my most listened LPs of the year.

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Call them indie bedwetters if you want (and you no doubt will) but this album is mature, well written and brilliantly performed, I'd kill to be able to write songs and sing them like this. Excellent.

Jurassic 5 - Power By Numbers
Only got it 2 weeks ago, it's already taken up permanent residence in my car. Proper style hip-hop, none of that poncy malarkey, full of scratchy break beats and drum stuff. Very excellent.

Also worth a mention... Primal Scream - Evil Heat, DJ Shadow - Private Press, The Datsuns, The Strives/Stropes/Hikes etc.

Just one song of the year - All My Life, by the Foo Fighters. If the rest of the album was as good as that song, it'd be the best album ever. Really. Now you talk.
Sat 16/11/02 at 17:41
Regular
"I love Dave music"
Would have put it in, but it was actually released in America in September 2001 and I got it before it came out in the UK, so it would have been in my best of 2001 list :-) Maybe you lot will listen to me next time I start going on about a band in every other post!!

Styke - Lifehouse. WOW!!! Absolutely. Without Doubt. THE best band ever!! OK, maybe a bit over the top, but not far. Easily the best gig I have ever been too. They blew Muse and Tenacious D out of the water.

Rasta - I agree with you. I think Everything is their best song. I was almost in tears when they played it at the gig. They left it really late as well. They actually rock pretty hard, and were building the crowd up, and then they started to play Everything, and it was just magic. Music is without doubt one of the most powerful things in the world.

Solskjær wrote:
>
> But i'm surprised to see no-one's mentioned this album yet. I only got
> it yesterday, but it has to be the funniest album of the year, if not
> also the most original too...
>
> Of course, i'm talking about Tenacious D's debut album!
> I don't think it's got a title either.
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:36
"Maladroit" by Weezer is the best album I've heard all year. But sadly, most of the album releases this year have been pretty poor in general. Even Weezer's album was a bit poor compared to their older stuff (no, I'm not just trying to sound hardcore... even the Green Album from about a year before was better).

How sad... I don't even like my favourite album of the year much!
Fri 01/11/02 at 23:46
My fave album of 2002 by a mile is :-

Butch Walker - 'Left Of Self Centered'

The guy should be huge. Great catchy songs, great lyrics, Butch ROCKS!!

I've also gotta mention the Avril Lavigne album. Totally surprised by this one. Excellent!
Wed 30/10/02 at 10:50
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Didn't "someone else" start something like this towards the end of last year??? ;P

But i'm surprised to see no-one's mentioned this album yet. I only got it yesterday, but it has to be the funniest album of the year, if not also the most original too...

Of course, i'm talking about Tenacious D's debut album!
I don't think it's got a title either.

It's not just a load of "Tribute"s, it's more like a story of the recording as you play-through it from the first track to the last.
But by all means, if you only like them for Tribute you'll love this.
Something that'll really make you laugh.
Brilliant.

Aside from that one, I haven't brought any other albums that were just released this year. Although i've heard KoRn's is good, so I might get that one.
Tue 29/10/02 at 21:43
"possibly impossible"
This is difficult, because it depends what mood I'm in, but for me the main highlights of my 2002 were:

Counting Crows - Hard Candy.
Even the 2 extra tracks were amazing and it was nice to hear Vanessa Carlton on the album too.

Foo Fighters - One By One
They keep the great tracks coming and never stop with their explosive sound, nothing can touch them.

The Doves - The Last Broadcast
A great band with an amazing album, some really good emotion from the lead singer and great lyrics too.
Tue 29/10/02 at 20:44
Regular
"relocated"
Albums that have already been mentioned:

The Streets
Jurassic 5
DJ Shadow (even if it wasn't as good as Endtroducing)

Others:

RJD2 - Deadringer: Better than DJ Shadow IMHO, proper funky turntablist stuff, and tracks like Smoke & Mirrors and Good Times Roll Pt. 2 are just brilliant soul music. He also made an absolutely fantastic mix CD called Your Face or Your Kneecaps; I don't think it ever got a proper release because of copywrite issues but I've seen it on Kazaa and Blubster (might be called the Poorboy Lover Megamix).

The Herbaliser - Something Wicked This Way Comes: superb British hip-hop with latin influences. Head nodding stuff, and they absolutely OWN live.

Roots Manuva - Dub Come Save Me: the best British rapper ever? I think so. This is the dub version of last year's album, but has plenty of new tracks alongside superb and genuinely different remixes.

Cinematic Orchestra - Everyday: jazz, but brilliant. All That You Give and All Things To All Men are just gorgeous.

Skitz - Badmeaningood: a mix CD full of dancehall, funk and hip-hop that will tear up the dancefloor (or your bedroom)

Niney the Observer - Sledgehammer: a re-release from the seventies of a brilliant dub reggae set. Skankin'.
Tue 29/10/02 at 20:17
Regular
"You've upset me"
Stryke wrote:
> Then you lie. For nothing by Lifehouse is better than Unknown.

Hehehe. The intro for that rules and the whole song just rules. ROCK! *ahem*

> Although I do think they shouldn't have kept Revolution Cry as just a
> 9/11 thing and put in on SCF. I know best, not Wade. Oh yes.

I concur. Revolution Cry is a fantisimo song.
Tue 29/10/02 at 20:15
Regular
Then you lie. For nothing by Lifehouse is better than Unknown.

Although I do think they shouldn't have kept Revolution Cry as just a 9/11 thing and put in on SCF. I know best, not Wade. Oh yes.
Tue 29/10/02 at 20:11
Regular
"You've upset me"
Stryke wrote:
Tell me what Unknown

I'd say Everything and Sick Cycle Carousel were better, but only just :-D
Tue 29/10/02 at 20:08
Regular
The GingerLord wrote:
> So i got the last 4 tickets!!!

--

Git. Well, hope you enjoy it. Tell me what Unknown and Am I Ever Gonna Find Out (the best on each album) sounds like live. You git.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.