GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your albums of 2002"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 24/10/02 at 23:48
Regular
So, it's been an intersting year in music, an... actually, I can't be bothered to do a poncy intro, just tell me your favourite albums and songs of the year, because I'm going to tell you mine:

Albums of the Year:

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
I'd only been briefly introduced to them before, but on the first listen of this little beauty, I was hooked. Pure rock fury, and no mistake.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Not exactly what I was expecting (by the first single), a more chilled-out, surfed-up approach from the Chili Peppers. After a few listens it really grows on you, definitely one of my most listened LPs of the year.

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Call them indie bedwetters if you want (and you no doubt will) but this album is mature, well written and brilliantly performed, I'd kill to be able to write songs and sing them like this. Excellent.

Jurassic 5 - Power By Numbers
Only got it 2 weeks ago, it's already taken up permanent residence in my car. Proper style hip-hop, none of that poncy malarkey, full of scratchy break beats and drum stuff. Very excellent.

Also worth a mention... Primal Scream - Evil Heat, DJ Shadow - Private Press, The Datsuns, The Strives/Stropes/Hikes etc.

Just one song of the year - All My Life, by the Foo Fighters. If the rest of the album was as good as that song, it'd be the best album ever. Really. Now you talk.
Thu 24/10/02 at 23:48
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
So, it's been an intersting year in music, an... actually, I can't be bothered to do a poncy intro, just tell me your favourite albums and songs of the year, because I'm going to tell you mine:

Albums of the Year:

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
I'd only been briefly introduced to them before, but on the first listen of this little beauty, I was hooked. Pure rock fury, and no mistake.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Not exactly what I was expecting (by the first single), a more chilled-out, surfed-up approach from the Chili Peppers. After a few listens it really grows on you, definitely one of my most listened LPs of the year.

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Call them indie bedwetters if you want (and you no doubt will) but this album is mature, well written and brilliantly performed, I'd kill to be able to write songs and sing them like this. Excellent.

Jurassic 5 - Power By Numbers
Only got it 2 weeks ago, it's already taken up permanent residence in my car. Proper style hip-hop, none of that poncy malarkey, full of scratchy break beats and drum stuff. Very excellent.

Also worth a mention... Primal Scream - Evil Heat, DJ Shadow - Private Press, The Datsuns, The Strives/Stropes/Hikes etc.

Just one song of the year - All My Life, by the Foo Fighters. If the rest of the album was as good as that song, it'd be the best album ever. Really. Now you talk.
Thu 24/10/02 at 23:59
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
hmm... I haven't really bought many CDs released this year... I was going to say Rival School- 'United By Fate', but I realised that was released in 2001... I'd say Finch- 'What It Is To Burn' would have to be in there... aside from that I can't actually think of any CDs I have bought that were released this year... I seem to be buying CDs from the 90's and from '00/'01... odd that... But the Transplants CD (features Tim Armstrong of Rancid and Travis out of Blink 182) should be out now so when I get that (which may well not be until next year... :D) I'll tell you what I think. Oh, and also that Black Flag covers benefit album sounds ace. Should get that for my Bday.
Fri 25/10/02 at 10:08
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Drowning Pool - Sinner is my favourite album of this year. It's excellent, and it isn't nu-metal contrary to what others may think - it's pure heavy metal. A great album!

I might get the Foo's album tomorrow.
Fri 25/10/02 at 10:11
Regular
"Festivus!"
Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio

Total and Utter Classs... Went to see them in march in London, Brixton where we nearly saw a gunfight, whch is a regular occurence in Manchester, but scary nonetheless
Fri 25/10/02 at 10:14
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Red Hot Chillis - By The Way

Counting Crows - Hard Candy

Avril Lavigne - Let Go
Fri 25/10/02 at 10:19
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Clutch - Pure Rock Fury
Because of the title, the music and song titles. Best album by best band I've ever been exposed to.

The Streets - Original Pirate Material.
Alright, so it sounds like a mate in his bedroom talking about what he did on Friday night. But that's the point. Listen to "Dont mug yourself"

Gillian Welch - Hell Among The Yearlings
Old Timey bluegrass music, perfect for relaxing to.

Tom Waits - Blood Money
Just because I like him and I hope I'm that cool when I'm 50. And has a song called "Starving in the belly of a whale"
Fri 25/10/02 at 11:02
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Cos its not like any rock album I've heard before. Every song wreaks of sweat drugs and women. Yay.

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood to the Head.

Politik, The Scientist, Amsterdam... oh I could go on. Like Snuggles said - great songwriting and maturity.. and have managed to avoid the 'dinner party music' genre by being far too clever for their own good.

Pearl Jam - Riot Act.

OK so its not out yet but the promo I got hasn't left my cd player for the last month. A move back towards their more soulful, earthy days of Yield era PJ. Download You Are or Cropduster, then go buy the record on Nov 11th.
Fri 25/10/02 at 11:18
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ooooh, tough one this:

QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf
Great album, makes me wanna rock like a bar-steward. Grohl should've stuck with the drums, instead of writing poor 'metal ballads' with the Foos.

Cornelius - Point
I think this came out this year. Fantastic electro-rock from Japan. Always fun to listen too, because there's so much on it you forget what comes next!
Fri 25/10/02 at 11:19
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ook, ook:

Supergrass - Life On Other Planets

That rocks as well.
Fri 25/10/02 at 11:26
Regular
I've only bought three albums that were released this year. All the others weren't new.

I bought:

Eminem: The Eminem Show.

The Streets: Original Pirate Material

The Music: The Music.

I would have to say the best out of those three is...... The streets.

However, the best album I bought all year was Bonobo - Animal Magic. But that's a year or two old by now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.