GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Fire fighter's strike - For or Against?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/10/02 at 13:59
Regular
Personally, I'm in favour of it. These guys put their lives on the line day after day, and they deserve a decent salary for doing it. It must really grate that some footballers get more than double their annual salary in a week, all for kicking a ball around for a maximum of three hours a week.

40% may seem high, but considering they'll probably only get half that (if anything), then it's fair play. They always say you should ask for double what you actually want!

I appreciate that a strike may put lives at risk, but that's something held over them by government - and if they don't strike, they'll continue getting screwed.
Wed 23/10/02 at 13:59
"High polygon count"
Personally, I'm in favour of it. These guys put their lives on the line day after day, and they deserve a decent salary for doing it. It must really grate that some footballers get more than double their annual salary in a week, all for kicking a ball around for a maximum of three hours a week.

40% may seem high, but considering they'll probably only get half that (if anything), then it's fair play. They always say you should ask for double what you actually want!

I appreciate that a strike may put lives at risk, but that's something held over them by government - and if they don't strike, they'll continue getting screwed.
Wed 23/10/02 at 14:02
Regular
"Not your monkey"
I am in favour too.

As you say, on any given day at work, these guys could lose their lives whilst saving others.

The money is a lot but as you say, when people like Keane get nearly double their salary a week for injuring people, it puts it into perspective.
Wed 23/10/02 at 14:06
Regular
"..."
I am well in favour. All they earn is approx £17,000 apparently, which for risking their lives each day is quite a poor salary.

Especially seeing as tube drivers get £32,000 and 42 days holiday a year...
Wed 23/10/02 at 14:10
"High polygon count"
Darkus wrote:
> Especially seeing as tube drivers get £32,000 and 42 days
> holiday a year...

Yes, I found that pretty unbelievable! All that for pushing a few levers and a pedal, and watching out for signals. Highly responsible job, certainly - but not exactly taxing or life-threatening, is it?!
Wed 23/10/02 at 14:31
Regular
"Evenstar"
I'm for the strike as I know the army will be taking over the fire fighting role for the strike duration. I think fire fighters deserve a pay rise as they are endangering their own lives greatly.

If there was nobody to fill in their place, then I would have to be against it as it is endangering millions and millions of lives, rather than how ever many fire fighters there are employed in Britain.
Wed 23/10/02 at 14:37
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
It's a toughie this one - Yes I agree that they should be paid a decent wage for what they do - but - they knew the salary when they started and 40% is a hell of an increase.

I think the salaries of all the emergency services should be linked in some way as they are all doing damn fine jobs. If nurses can earn 25 K then so should firemen etc.

The problem that the govt and local authorities have is that 40% is a big rise and if they get that then whose to stop ambulance drivers, police, coastgaurd etc from striking to demand the same increase - then we will find that our council tax goes up to pay for it and then we want higher increases to pay for the higher taxes etc.

It's a bit of a catch 22 and the govt are trying - I suppose - to ensure that things dont get taken out of control.

Maybe some kind of 5 year wage structure plan needs to be laid out or something like that so that they can see they will be getting increases to make their wages better for what they do but also so that other wage demands dont end up going totally out of control.
Wed 23/10/02 at 14:49
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
who else recently voted for a 40% wage increase?

Oh it would be those highly competent Westminster ministers. Greedy? Oh no not like those scavenging fire fighters, not them.

The Fire fighters union has been treated with absolute contempt and as such it is entirely apporpriate in calling strikes. However, I do think that the imposition of a strike over the days before, after and including bonfire night does seem a little callous.

Hopefully the government will enter into substantive discussions before that time.
Wed 23/10/02 at 15:53
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I'm in favour, Although I don't like the idea of them going on strike as lives will be at risk but it is something they have to do to get their point across i guess.

Look at the Wages politicians get, it is rediculous. All emergency service workers like firemen and nurses etc deserve a better wage. About time something was done about it.
Wed 23/10/02 at 16:22
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Firefighters do deserve more money, that is for certain. I think the problem they face is that the profession they are in is so popular, yet undervalued. 48 people apply for every position filled in the F-brigade so recruitment has never been a problem, thus salary has never been used as an incentive.

That said some people in the army do not start on anymore than a fireman and they put their lives at risk. They can't go on strike either...
Wed 23/10/02 at 17:11
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It's a capitalist world. If people can be found who are willing (and capable) to do the job for that money, then to pay them more makes little sense. Supply and demand...

Are the firefighters grateful that they have a job that many envy? Do they like the feeling of doing something for the community, and the image associated with firemen? They have a lot going for them, yet they see fit to complain further. All these people knew the deal when they took the tests, and if they didn't then more fool them.

Anyone remember the Unions and Margaret Thatcher?

Miners risked their lives. Not to save others perhaps, but their workers effectively kept the economy going. During strikes Britain was basically shut down. Perhaps the miners deserved better pay, more priveledges and whatnot for the job they were doing, but strike threats are an abuse of power. They had the power do seriously disrupt the country, and did so for their own ends. This is no different.

So all we need now is to privatise the fire service :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.