GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do YOU deal with pain?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/10/02 at 21:21
Regular
Hmmm well How do YOU deal with pain???

What an odd thing to say I said you say. American Heritage Dictionary claims pain is an unpleasant sensation occurring in varying degrees of severity as a consequence of injury, disease, or emotional disorder. This is true obviousley.

But the question is, how do YOU deal with pain. When I scrape my bare leg across the corner of my bed which brings up a bruise in about 30 seconds, I grab my leg and curse once or twice and then start laughing in a slightly high pitched psychotic mode. I know it hurts but for some reason it tiggers me off laughing which makes the pain go away. But another thing I do is put my hand in a sink of water thats pretty much as hot as tap water gets and it burns for a bit but then I just forget about the pain and it goes away. Or when I've bin throwin snow around and my hands go numb, and I bite them, I cannot stand that becuase I know it hurts but its not which freaks me out. When I had my head slammed in a car door that hurt like hell but I was only young.

My theory is that if you get used to the pain instead of thinking oh man this really hurts it for some reason goes away or you can feel it hurting you but you're used to it so it dont hurt. Another was when I didn't have a shaved head and I hid something of my bros and he pinned me down and grabbed my hair and at first he was joking just say 'where is it' but then he got really serious and he was literally ripping some of my hair out of the top of my head and I never snapped by telling him. And a final probably the worst pain I ever got was getting a 1/4 inch splinter up just under the fingernail and it bled like hell. Now that was hard to kkep the pain away but I did it in the end.

So what do you do when it comes to pain ? ? ?
Tue 28/01/03 at 13:06
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Rosalind wrote:
> Heh, oh don't worry about me. He isn't winding me up. I was
> interested.

Cool.

I like your style....

:)
Tue 28/01/03 at 13:03
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I speak only for myself.
Constant physical pain as a result from a car accident in '91.
That's 12 years of almost constant headaches, an arm that aches in the cold and will reduce me to a curled-up ball if I ever knock it on something.

My choices were either deal with it, assimilate into my life and tolerate or whinge like a little girl and ask for sympathy from people.
I chose to deal with it.

I dont know about anyone else's personal tragedies and to be honest I don't care.
It works for me and that's all I need to know.
Tue 28/01/03 at 13:02
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Slaveunit wrote:
> Back off Ros, He'll only wind you up more.
>
> It's his style.

Heh, oh don't worry about me. He isn't winding me up. I was interested.
Tue 28/01/03 at 12:59
"Darkness, always"
Don't say that because you are saying that the method I'm using doesn't work, when so far for me it does.

I decided that my problem was that I think too much about things that I cannot change. Therefore I don't think about them anymore.

Missed opportunities. Bad experiences. Passing of family members. No point getting hung up on any of these. By all means learn from your experiences, but don't let them haunt you.

Life is far too brief. I turn 24 in a few weeks time, one year short of being quarter of a century old.

I feel ancient, and I've still to achieve anything of value in my life. Can't stop to think about anything that isn't going to help me move forward.
Tue 28/01/03 at 12:57
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Back off Ros, He'll only wind you up more.

It's his style.
Tue 28/01/03 at 12:52
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Don't say it because it isn't true, or because your afraid of it?
Tue 28/01/03 at 12:52
"Darkness, always"
Don't say that. I'm recovering from depression by ignoring the things that were getting me depressed!
Tue 28/01/03 at 12:49
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
Your damn right its different in the case of chronic pain.

I agree it is sometime easy to ignore transient pain, but then again not always. sometimes pain can be so painful that it makes you thorw-up. Not to easy to ignore this one. As well as that, some diseases, such as acute pancreatis cause death in many cases due to the shock of the pain. Also not so easy to ignore.

I disagree with you about mental pain as well. Although thankfully I have a lot less experiance to base this on. It is pretty hard to ignore a depression when it settles on you though.
Tue 28/01/03 at 12:46
"Darkness, always"
But pain is easy to ignore. Obviously there are exceptions, such as chronic pain due to some long term illness, or mayhap a broken leg, but on the whole, most pain is easilly forgotten.

It's like cold weather. You can either feel the cold and bunch up your muslces shivering, allowing yourself to suffer the wrath of the temperature, or you can ignore it, not shiver, and pretend it's not there, and you won't feel a thing.

Same with empotional pain. Don't think about what's hurting you, and it generally won't.
Tue 28/01/03 at 12:46
"Darkness, always"
But pain is easy to ignore. Obviously there are exceptions, such as chronic pain due to some long term illness, or mayhap a broken leg, but on the whole, most pain is easilly forgotten.

It's like cold weather. You can either feel the cold and bunch up your muslces shivering, allowing yourself to suffer the wrath of the temperature, or you can ignore it, not shiver, and pretend it's not there, and you won't feel a thing.

Same with empotional pain. Don't think about what's hurting you, and it generally won't.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.