GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Final Fantasy really good? Or has hype brainwashed you to think so?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/09/02 at 10:37
Regular
Hi,

I've always been puzzled by the massive success of the Final Fantasy series. I'm just as astonished on how many people like its disjointed interaction that it calls gameplay. I mean, the battles are done on a AI level with little interaction from the player, you just press the attack button and random calculations are made based on if your character is quicker, stronger, or has special abilities that the enemy finds septuple to. You just sit back and watch the computer fighting with it self, occasionally changing its path so that it can continue to fight but in a different manner. If you think about it, your not playing the game at all, but rather the game is playing you. The computer is using you as a tool so it can continue on performing random patterns and calculations, and probably is enjoying every moment of it, too.

So I say this. Make a stand for what is right, say NO to turn-based RPGs and say yes to real-time ones. It's the way RPGs are ment to be played, and if some developer can break this awful trend that is turn-based combat, then I think we'll be back in the good old days of such classics as Zelda, Illusions Of Time and Terranigma.

I've never liked a turn-based RPG up to this day, and I've played alot of them I can tell you. Would you ever replay an RPG after all that stopping and starting, stopping and starting? I would rather put my nads in a vice.
Sun 13/10/02 at 13:50
Regular
The swapping thing is very important. To really do well in the game its best not to rely on one, or even three characters. The key to success is to train up the party, not the person. Get them all up to strength, and you`ll be unstoppable.

As for GAD, its an abbreviation for the competition that is run here. Gameaday is the full name, and just in case you don`t know what that is, go to gameaday.co.uk to find out the rules and stuff...
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:20
WickedWare wrote:
> What does GAD mean please?

Hmm, I don't really know.
Sun 13/10/02 at 10:18
DeltaJava wrote:
> OK, so how do I get there please?

Its just a little out of Esthar, near the sea, in Esthar's continent. Its on the map IIRC.
Sat 12/10/02 at 20:36
Regular
"where's my tag?"
What does GAD mean please?
Sat 12/10/02 at 19:12
ssxpro wrote:
> Elhan the Wizard wrote:
> 99 999 HP? Eek! Thats a leap ahead of the other FFs! FF9 wouldn't
> even
> allow you to do over 9999 Damage.
>
> Yeh, there are special weapons to let you do more than 9,999 damage,
> and special armour allowing you to take your health above 9,999. Each
> has a new limit of 99,999.
>
> Anyway when I get my PS2 and FF10 I
> will make sure to make Lulu as powerful as possible and she will be
> a
> permanent in my party!
>
> It`ll depend which sphere grid you go for. The basic sphere grid -
> which they recommend you start with - will have Lulu positioned
> amongst magic spheres. She`ll build her magic quickly, but her
> strength will not move much at all. If you want Lulu to be a really
> strong player, you`ll have to use the advanced sphere grid, and take
> her down a physical attack route. The trouble with that though is that
> you run the risk of becoming weak against enemies who are only harmed
> by magic. For example the flans require Lulu to use magic against
> them.
>
> How many people can be in a party in FF10? 5?
>
> Your party is three people, but you can swap characters mid battle. I
> recommend you move Lulu as she is supposed to be moved - down the
> magic routes - and just swap the characters in and out as they are
> needed. For example, start off with Tidus casting haste, then get
> Rikku to steal, then take out the physical attack enemies with Wakka
> and Auron, then move onto Lulu to take out the magic enemies. Finally,
> anything left standing can be hit by Yuna'a aeons. Its best to swap
> characters often as this means they`ll all get some AP.
>
> How do stats work in FF10? They wwere all behind the scenes in FF9,
> but usually reached up to 90 (prime stat of PC). That was all of
> little meaning to the player though.
>
> There is a large sphere grid that you move around when you build up
> levels - one level lets you move one space on the grid. As you move
> around, you can activate nodes using special (and easy to collect)
> spheres. These will build up your strength, magic and defence etc...
> You`ll get the hang of it though as you play, its not easy to explain
> here.
>
> Anyway, hope that helps!

Thanks, that helps a lot. I want Lulu (I'm calling her Rumina though, the name is too childish for me) to have lots of HP, lots of magic power and decent attack. I don't really want another fighter, I want a hardy spellcaster.

Swap characters eh? Like Breath of Fire 4? THats really cool and its about time.

Thanks for the advice, no doubt it helped. Cheers mate! See you later.
Wed 09/10/02 at 10:16
Regular
Elhan the Wizard wrote:
> 99 999 HP? Eek! Thats a leap ahead of the other FFs! FF9 wouldn't even
> allow you to do over 9999 Damage.

Yeh, there are special weapons to let you do more than 9,999 damage, and special armour allowing you to take your health above 9,999. Each has a new limit of 99,999.

> Anyway when I get my PS2 and FF10 I
> will make sure to make Lulu as powerful as possible and she will be a
> permanent in my party!

It`ll depend which sphere grid you go for. The basic sphere grid - which they recommend you start with - will have Lulu positioned amongst magic spheres. She`ll build her magic quickly, but her strength will not move much at all. If you want Lulu to be a really strong player, you`ll have to use the advanced sphere grid, and take her down a physical attack route. The trouble with that though is that you run the risk of becoming weak against enemies who are only harmed by magic. For example the flans require Lulu to use magic against them.

> How many people can be in a party in FF10? 5?

Your party is three people, but you can swap characters mid battle. I recommend you move Lulu as she is supposed to be moved - down the magic routes - and just swap the characters in and out as they are needed. For example, start off with Tidus casting haste, then get Rikku to steal, then take out the physical attack enemies with Wakka and Auron, then move onto Lulu to take out the magic enemies. Finally, anything left standing can be hit by Yuna'a aeons. Its best to swap characters often as this means they`ll all get some AP.

> How do stats work in FF10? They wwere all behind the scenes in FF9,
> but usually reached up to 90 (prime stat of PC). That was all of
> little meaning to the player though.

There is a large sphere grid that you move around when you build up levels - one level lets you move one space on the grid. As you move around, you can activate nodes using special (and easy to collect) spheres. These will build up your strength, magic and defence etc... You`ll get the hang of it though as you play, its not easy to explain here.

Anyway, hope that helps!
Tue 08/10/02 at 20:42
ssxpro wrote:
> Elhan the Wizard wrote:
> Yeah, I never noticed that. Oh well, when you really want to
> emphasize
> on a point I guess thats a good way of doing so.
>
> Yeh, no problem!
>
> BTW is Lulu in FF10 really as powerful as she's said to be?
>
> Erm, she's powerful, but I`m not sure how powerful she is "said
> to be". She can be just as strong or as weak as your other
> characters. If you train her, she`ll take of 99,999 with all magic and
> attacks, you can get her stats up to 255 just like the other
> characters.
>
> In the earlier stages of the game, if you`re using the basic sphere
> grid, she`ll be powerful in terms of magic obviously, but her powers
> are only on a par with other characters.

99 999 HP? Eek! Thats a leap ahead of the other FFs! FF9 wouldn't even allow you to do over 9999 Damage. Anyway when I get my PS2 and FF10 I will make sure to make Lulu as powerful as possible and she will be a permanent in my party! How many people can be in a party in FF10? 5? How do stats work in FF10? They wwere all behind the scenes in FF9, but usually reached up to 90 (prime stat of PC). That was all of little meaning to the player though.
Tue 08/10/02 at 09:10
Regular
Elhan the Wizard wrote:
> Yeah, I never noticed that. Oh well, when you really want to emphasize
> on a point I guess thats a good way of doing so.

Yeh, no problem!

> BTW is Lulu in FF10 really as powerful as she's said to be?

Erm, she's powerful, but I`m not sure how powerful she is "said to be". She can be just as strong or as weak as your other characters. If you train her, she`ll take of 99,999 with all magic and attacks, you can get her stats up to 255 just like the other characters.

In the earlier stages of the game, if you`re using the basic sphere grid, she`ll be powerful in terms of magic obviously, but her powers are only on a par with other characters.
Mon 07/10/02 at 23:19
Regular
"Notable"
Hype?I tend to steer clear from FF hype coz all i say once ive completed the latest one is the new one looks sh**e.everytime.thats probably why i havent played FFX yet
Mon 07/10/02 at 23:15
Regular
"Notable"
Is final fantasy really good?Or is this just a poor attempt to GAD?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.