GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Final Fantasy really good? Or has hype brainwashed you to think so?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/09/02 at 10:37
Regular
Hi,

I've always been puzzled by the massive success of the Final Fantasy series. I'm just as astonished on how many people like its disjointed interaction that it calls gameplay. I mean, the battles are done on a AI level with little interaction from the player, you just press the attack button and random calculations are made based on if your character is quicker, stronger, or has special abilities that the enemy finds septuple to. You just sit back and watch the computer fighting with it self, occasionally changing its path so that it can continue to fight but in a different manner. If you think about it, your not playing the game at all, but rather the game is playing you. The computer is using you as a tool so it can continue on performing random patterns and calculations, and probably is enjoying every moment of it, too.

So I say this. Make a stand for what is right, say NO to turn-based RPGs and say yes to real-time ones. It's the way RPGs are ment to be played, and if some developer can break this awful trend that is turn-based combat, then I think we'll be back in the good old days of such classics as Zelda, Illusions Of Time and Terranigma.

I've never liked a turn-based RPG up to this day, and I've played alot of them I can tell you. Would you ever replay an RPG after all that stopping and starting, stopping and starting? I would rather put my nads in a vice.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:53
"period drama"
Elhan the Wizard wrote:
> Darwock wrote:
> That was Emerald. He was the daddy.
>
> Emerald was one bad monster. I am going to try defeat him (or her)
> this time round. Ruby is weak, just hard to catch, and while the one
> near the Gold Saucer is tough it ain't no big problem.

Ruby IS the one near the golden saucer : )
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:39
Darwock wrote:
>
Emerald was one bad monster. I am going to try defeat him (or her) this time round. Ruby is weak, just hard to catch, and while the one near the Gold Saucer is tough it ain't no big problem.
Thu 17/10/02 at 18:32
Darwock wrote:
> That's something I do miss, the ATB gauge. I hope they bring it back
> for the next installment, cos although the new system works well
> nothing beats the tension when you've got to get a turn in before the
> enemy attacks. It's not quite as dramatic when you know in advance
> what the order of turns will be.
>
> I also miss the world map - the sense of exploration isn't the same
> when you're just clicking randomly on a map to uncover new locations.
> Plus you can't explore until the very end, so none of the extra skills
> you can find have much bearing on the actual quest, which is a shame.
> And like somebody said there isn't much variety in the monsters this
> time around.
>
> The real strengths of FFX are definitely the graphics (obviously) but
> even more than that it's the plot. It's the most well thought out,
> sensible and adult-themed story of all of them. I really liked the
> spooky weirdness of FF8 but it was let down by that bizarre plot twist
> in the middle (the one where everyone had lost their memory?). FFX
> also took the longest time to finish despite being completely linear
> until the end. I think I clocked about 65 hours before I had any
> chance to go and do sidequests and the like! Despite everything above
> I think it's a contender for the best of them all, probably equal with
> FF7.
>
> I reckon all FF games are meant to be rushed through the first time,
> because that way you really will have a tough time of it at the end.
> The first time I fought Sephiroth it was a huge achievement when I
> beat him. The next time around I had all the big summon materia and
> stuff, and I kicked his (bottom) no problems.
I HATED the ATB and turn based battles. To hell with them, they just removed the fun out of a gem of a game series. The random pseudo battles eventually turned from fun to monotonous and annoying. At least in Chrono Cross you could see your foes (random and bosses). That was cool. SO is FF10 real time?

Adult themed plot? thats great. I liked FF8 for its adult characters and plot, especially Edea and Squall. FF7 and FF9 (yes even 9) where childish in some ways.

I saw a demo of FF10 graphics. They're breathtaking. As for the dialogues you say they're spoken. Please tell me it has british accents and not the abhorent yankee accent. But its certainly a huge improvement from the previous mute FFs.

I clocked FF9 in 67 hrs, FF7 in 50 and FF8 in 70 (:eek:)! I tried to get all the items and magic etc. so it took me a lot more time. I am currently replaying FF7 to beat the game and get all the materia and items. You really do need a walktthrough the second time round.

No world map? Ah! Or is it just altered?

BTW what is Lulu like? Is she tall and graceful and tough or a whiny crybaby? Please say its the former!

Anyway FF10 sounds soooo great! I will definitely get it when I get my PS2. ;)
Wed 16/10/02 at 19:37
Darwock wrote:
> From what I gather FFXI is not really story based at all... you take
> on quests which are basically monster killing missions, and you join
> up with other online players to achieve your goals. There are no
> pre-written characters, no dialogue or anything that you'd normally
> associate with Final Fantasy. So I think it should have been like it
> was for Final Fantasy Tactics - they could've named it Final Fantasy
> Online instead of trying to sell it as part of the series.

idiotic! Its not a true FF then, its something else. Its more of a Wizardry than a FF. Bad move. They should rather name it something else.

And you know lovers of the series will just have to have FF11 so they can have the complete set, so prolly it will sell well. But still its not a FF11. I also hate the thought of having to pay monthly for a game. I bought the damned thing, I pay the 'net bills and thats it. No more should be bloodsucked from us poor gamers. Its a rip off!
Wed 16/10/02 at 19:32
Darwock wrote:
>
> By the way, Elhan, you can't rename any of the characters except Tidus
> in FFX, because all the dialogue is spoken this time round.
Oh. Damn! Lulu is so childish. I was aiming for Rumina, the sorceress from the Adventures of Sinbad (for those of you who know what I'm talking about). I love the name and the Sorceress Rumina, and so all my female sorceress characters are usually called Rumina (males Elhan or Kirinaldo :p).
Wed 16/10/02 at 11:35
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
From what I gather FFXI is not really story based at all... you take on quests which are basically monster killing missions, and you join up with other online players to achieve your goals. There are no pre-written characters, no dialogue or anything that you'd normally associate with Final Fantasy. So I think it should have been like it was for Final Fantasy Tactics - they could've named it Final Fantasy Online instead of trying to sell it as part of the series.
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:55
Regular
Or months and months in some cases :D
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:52
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I used to hate Final Fantasy games, but i gave it a try as everyone else thought it was good and i stand corrected. One of the great things about it was the life span, days and days of gameplay; brilliant.
Tue 15/10/02 at 18:12
Regular
Darwock wrote:
> I don't agree about the airship thing, cos in the other games you got
> the airship quite a long time before the end.

Perhaps... but not *that* far from the end. They`re always in the later parts.

> In FFX you get it for
> the sole purpose (as far as the story goes) of flying to Sin and
> finishing the game.

As far as the story goes... or at least, the one that is there for those who want to complete it as fast as possible. If you try to get everything out of the game then you could easily spend more time with the ship than without.

> (not counting FF11, which seems to be more of a spin-off)

Spin-off? To be honest, I don`t know much about it yet, but I thought it was going to be a whole new thing again, and completely different because of the online features. I`ll have to check out some of the reviews - if any are in English :D
Tue 15/10/02 at 16:48
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
About the ATB, it also meant you had to be able to think fast, cos you would be attacked if you took too long to decide what you wanted to do (as long as you had it set to 'Active').

I don't agree about the airship thing, cos in the other games you got the airship quite a long time before the end. In FFX you get it for the sole purpose (as far as the story goes) of flying to Sin and finishing the game.

It's a pointless discussion really, cos the next FF will no doubt have some more pretty radical changes that will require getting used to!

(not counting FF11, which seems to be more of a spin-off)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.