GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Final Fantasy really good? Or has hype brainwashed you to think so?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/09/02 at 10:37
Regular
Hi,

I've always been puzzled by the massive success of the Final Fantasy series. I'm just as astonished on how many people like its disjointed interaction that it calls gameplay. I mean, the battles are done on a AI level with little interaction from the player, you just press the attack button and random calculations are made based on if your character is quicker, stronger, or has special abilities that the enemy finds septuple to. You just sit back and watch the computer fighting with it self, occasionally changing its path so that it can continue to fight but in a different manner. If you think about it, your not playing the game at all, but rather the game is playing you. The computer is using you as a tool so it can continue on performing random patterns and calculations, and probably is enjoying every moment of it, too.

So I say this. Make a stand for what is right, say NO to turn-based RPGs and say yes to real-time ones. It's the way RPGs are ment to be played, and if some developer can break this awful trend that is turn-based combat, then I think we'll be back in the good old days of such classics as Zelda, Illusions Of Time and Terranigma.

I've never liked a turn-based RPG up to this day, and I've played alot of them I can tell you. Would you ever replay an RPG after all that stopping and starting, stopping and starting? I would rather put my nads in a vice.
Sun 20/10/02 at 12:41
"For the horde!!!!"
tweetypie wrote:
> Hi tweetypie here. I think the Final Fantasy games are brill. I have
> played loads of diffrent ff games and the story lines are great to
> start off and charators sorry if theres spelling mastakes are really
> cool but diffrent. It all so explanes there back ground. The best ever
> ff game is ff10. The story line is great the charators are great but
> most off all the graphics are supper. I would recomend this game to
> everone.

yes this is my fav FF game to although i'm not keen on the Bliztball game, i do like the plot and all the charactors are good. The sphere grid rules the only bad thing about it is them pesky level locks.
Sun 20/10/02 at 09:33
Regular
"where's my tag?"
You all talk about how great the story is, and that's just it, it's just a story. A book!

And Fanatic, you said you lost 600 hours playing it but I must ask the question, was that was 600 hours 'playing it' or 'reading it'? READING IT!
Sat 19/10/02 at 23:11
Hi tweetypie here. I think the Final Fantasy games are brill. I have played loads of diffrent ff games and the story lines are great to start off and charators sorry if theres spelling mastakes are really cool but diffrent. It all so explanes there back ground. The best ever ff game is ff10. The story line is great the charators are great but most off all the graphics are supper. I would recomend this game to everone.
Sat 19/10/02 at 19:29
"period drama"
WickedWare wrote:
> FINAL FANTASY SUMMARY: FF is Pokemon without the collecting.

Ahem
FFX - you collect monsters.
Ahem
Sat 19/10/02 at 19:27
"period drama"
INKman wrote:
> I think Pokemon is more involving that Final Fantasy because there's
> less reading to plough through (I have nothing against reading), so
> you can explore more of the gaming world without text every 5 yards.
> When you buy a FF game you are just buying a book that stops and
> starts the gameplay every few seconds, which I find annoying. I just
> want an adventure that lets me explore for like 10-30 minutes before
> encountering text. Not 30 seconds like in an FF game.
>
> A Final Fant game should be on the DVD shelf of a video store and not
> on the shelf of a games store.

Easy there pumpkin.
I must have lost over 600 hours to FF (jeez, when you put it like that...)

A breif summary:

Pokemon = fun kiddies game. Simple, easy, addictive. Collect monsters. Period.

FF = adults game. Deep story, compelling, something you'll never forget. Tons and tons to do, fighting bosses for 45 mintues beats the hell out of everything - just higher qualty.
Sat 19/10/02 at 13:39
I think Pokemon is more involving that Final Fantasy because there's less reading to plough through (I have nothing against reading), so you can explore more of the gaming world without text every 5 yards. When you buy a FF game you are just buying a book that stops and starts the gameplay every few seconds, which I find annoying. I just want an adventure that lets me explore for like 10-30 minutes before encountering text. Not 30 seconds like in an FF game.

A Final Fant game should be on the DVD shelf of a video store and not on the shelf of a games store.
Sat 19/10/02 at 13:25
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Sure that would be the other way round: Pokemon is an FF spin off with collecting.

FF has been around years, and Pokemon not all that long.

Plus, the FF series is far superior to Pokemon in every aspect.
Sat 19/10/02 at 13:22
Regular
"where's my tag?"
FINAL FANTASY SUMMARY: FF is Pokemon without the collecting.
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:31
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
btw Elhan, in addition to what I said in below, the battles are still as before except now it's "CTB" instead of "ATB". Basically the time limit element has been taken out, with the introduction of some other things instead.

It sort of bugs me when people moan about the random battles. If you don't like them, you can put a stop to them. You just need to find out how. I've just achieved this in FF10, but I did it quite early in FF8.
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:28
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
> I saw a demo of FF10 graphics. They're breathtaking. As for the
> dialogues you say they're spoken. Please tell me it has british
> accents and not the abhorent yankee accent. But its certainly a huge
> improvement from the previous mute FFs.

They are mostly American (some English) but the voice acting is *very* good. Many of the actors are regulars from Anime films (Maester Seymour is particularly recognizable) plus there are a couple of names you should know (although you wouldn't guess from listening to them. Dwight Schultz and Mike McShane provide voices to a couple of smaller characters!)

> No world map? Ah! Or is it just altered?

The game is linear all the way through, and they've sort of combined the world map with the regular game area. The whole thing is 3D, and you have to walk through some massive areas so effectively it's the same as the world map. However at the end you get to pick points on a 2D map and travel instantly there. That's as close to the world map as it gets.

> BTW what is Lulu like? Is she tall and graceful and tough or a whiny
> crybaby? Please say its the former!

Tall and moody with massive... hands. :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.