GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PERFECT DARK RULES"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/09/02 at 13:53
Regular
perfect dark is the best N64 game ever, except for ZELDA 1. ZElda 2 is also cool because it is on a golden cartridge. Back to PD... BANG
Sat 28/09/02 at 11:30
Regular
Splinter Cell doesn't come close to Resident Evil in graphics? LOL, thats why it won the bets graphics award at both E3 and the X02 game show, mnot to mention the award for best game at X02 and other game shows. I don't need to look any harder at the GameCube release list, I have looked enough already.
Sat 28/09/02 at 01:22
Regular
Doesn't this all come down to the fact that people have different opinions? Really, all I've seen here are opinions, that are neither right or wrong. Lets just accept that both consoles have great line ups, even if they might not appeal to us.
Sat 28/09/02 at 01:16
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> Halo will still be the number 1 1st person Shooter!

I think Timesplitters 2 and Die Hard Vendetta are both rivals. They display a certain kind of imagination that Halo lacks.

> Splinter Cell will be the best looking game and probably best 3rd
> person.

Well that's set to come out on GameCube and PS2, and you're forgetting such games as Resident Evil that are third person. Also - best looking? I've seen screenshots and they don't come close to Resident Evil.

> Project Gotham Racing is better than any GameCube racer.

How about Burnout and Burnout 2? Also, you haven't considered GT3.

> RalliSport Challenge currently best Rally game out there.

Personally, I'm not into Rally games, and it's a very small market. Though with the wealth of exclusive Rally games

> Blinx/Mario will battle for best platformer so hard to tell.

What about Wario World?

> Amped is best Snowboarding game.

I played Amped in PC World and thought it was a load of tripe. In fact, I got home and had a good enjoyable blast on 1080 Snowboarding...

> Max Payne (PS2 as well) is arguably the best shooter.

Again, Resident Evil could beat this repetitive and in some places very boring game.

> Jet Set Radio Future is the best Cel Shaded Game.

That's a long winded attempt at a genre...

> If you can think of any other genres I will name you a game that the
> Xbox will be hitting high scores with. To be honest the GameCube is
> looking pretty bleak on the release front, but if you want the
> calendar just ask as I have it in front of me. Resident Evil is a
> great game and wins the Survial Horror genre (that is of course until
> we see what Silent Hill 2 will look like on the Xbox) but apart from
> that there isn't anything really good.

You're just taking into consideration this year though. Nintendo have been very clever with spacing out their releases.
Sat 28/09/02 at 01:06
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> But apart from a couple of really good games the rest look average to
> say the least. On top of this Perfect Dark 2 which was haled as the
> best game on the GameCube is now an Xbox exclusive

I wasn't aware of this (it being hailed best game on GC). In fact, it was never confirmed.

> and bar Prime I just can't see any other really good titles on the Cube
> and especially Exclusives.

Then you really haven't looked hard enough. I could list a whole load of great GC games right now, but it's 01:00 and I'm tired...

> but as for the release calendar its already amazing without Rare.

Well, I could say the same about Microsoft as you did about Nintendo for this one. I really can't see many decent games in the MS line up compared to Nintendo's excellent future plan.
Sat 28/09/02 at 01:02
Regular
ignous reef wrote:
> perfect dark is the best N64 game ever

I can think of Goldeneye and many others that were better.
Fri 27/09/02 at 16:50
Regular
I'm not sure where Xbox games are going wrong.

Digitiser seems to think that despite the great launch games (including Halo, PGR, JSRF and DOA3 etc), other than that, most Xbox games have had nice graphics but were particularly mediocre and dull in the gameplay department.

You enjoyed Halo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Half life and Deus Ex, but they all took big steps forward in the FPS genre, introducing ideas and trying new things.

It seems that most Xbox games aren't even doing that...

Then again, Digitiser has always been pretty harsh.

Nintendo have always managed to be original.
If they don't redesign a genre, they expand it in some way.
If EVERYONE gave up and called it impossible then the industry wouldn't move forward.
Fri 27/09/02 at 16:42
Regular
If thats the case then the release calendar will be pretty empty, if a game has to be original every time then producing a game will become an impossibility! Also, if a genre isn't broken then why fix it? I played and completed Half Life and Deus EX on the PC which in my opinion are the greatest 2 First Person shooters ever made with Halo in 3rd spot (followed by Perfect Dark and Golden eye) and yet apart from Deus EX they were mainly just shooter games.

Whats going to make Metroid Prime so special then? I have read previews and it doesn't sound that much different from any other Shooter game! Whats going to make Mario Sunshine any different from previous Mario's? Resident Evil on the Cube isn't as good as Code Veronica on the Dreamcast yet it is still selling well. Doesn't this come down to the fact that none of these are broken so they don't need to be changed? If so then once again I am happy with what the Xbox are doing, Crazy Taxi 3, Blinx and Jet Set Radio Future are enough for me thanks :)
Fri 27/09/02 at 16:34
Regular
If Xbox games don't offer anything new over previous games, then are you paying £40+ for pretty graphics?

Halo wasn't merely a technically solid clone.
Bungie put in plenty of ideas to make this game worth getting.

Even then, someone who'd played a lot of PC FPS games might not have been so impressed with it...

It's only a matter of time before people generally get sick of generic games. Originality is where the future is.
Nintendo know it. Sega know it. The Japanese games market (which is usually ahead of ours) is starting to show it.
Fri 27/09/02 at 16:27
Regular
But every game doesn't have to be imaginative and revolutionary as long as its very good and so far the Xbox has given me the best games in most genres and with the likes of Jet Set Radio Future and Blinx bringing in new styles keeps me happy. I sold my PS2 because of mediocre games and even though some were different they were pretty rubbish when it came down to it and I bought an Xbox to plau the best games on the market, so far it hasn't let me down.
Fri 27/09/02 at 16:21
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> But by the end of this year the Xbox will have the best games in most
> genres compared to GameCube:

> Halo will still be the number 1 1st person Shooter!

Hmmm... Metroid might give it a hard time in that area...

> Splinter Cell will be the best looking game and probably best 3rd
> person.

Not so sure about best looking. Starfox's visuals are looking VERY pretty...

> Project Gotham Racing is better than any GameCube racer.

Gamecube's not kicked up on racers yet. F-Zero and Mario Kart can't be TOO far away though...

> RalliSport Challenge currently best Rally game out there.

Same catagory as racers.

> Blinx/Mario will battle for best platformer so hard to tell.

Yep. only time can tell on that one.

> Amped is best Snowboarding game.

> Max Payne (PS2 as well) is arguably the best shooter.

You mean "non-firstperson" shooter, which does narrow things down a fair bit...

> Jet Set Radio Future is the best Cel Shaded Game.

Yes, it beats Cel Damage.
Impressive victory there.

> If you can think of any other genres I will name you a game that the
> Xbox will be hitting high scores with. To be honest the GameCube is
> looking pretty bleak on the release front, but if you want the
> calendar just ask as I have it in front of me. Resident Evil is a
> great game and wins the Survial Horror genre (that is of course until
> we see what Silent Hill 2 will look like on the Xbox) but apart from
> that there isn't anything really good.

That's the thing. The Xbox takes the elite of existing genres. It offers little new. Yes, Sega have given Jet Set Radio, but the Xbox needs a bit more than a DC update (which is why Rare was worth EVERY penny).

While the Gamecube gets a tie or close second best in each of the existing genres, it also offers something new a unique.
Games like Pikmin, Smash Brothers and Monkey Ball are the sort of titles that you just wouldn't see on an Xbox. They might not look impressive on screenshots, or sound great on paper, but they have some of the purest, and most unique styles of gameplay around.
Animal Crossing pushes new ground into real time gaming.
Doshin does a take on Black and White style "god" game (not copying by the way, the original Doshin was develloped BEFORE Black and White!), Eternal Darkness pushes the survival horror to new depths, while Metroid try's something new with the first person perspective by making it "adventure" based (and doing all sorts to it aparently - not sure, you'd have to ask Dringo for full details.).

And I'm sure there's plenty more if I look...

Yes, I know the Xbox has Blinx (which was either made by Sega or designed by an Ex Sonic Team designer atleast...), but MS can't rely on Sega for imagination, especially as Sega are multiformat.

Taking Rare good start, but they're still far behind Nintendo in this department.

Making imaginative games was never MS's strong point.
Making internet software, IS one of MS's strengths and Xbox live will be by far the best console online service around.
But they still don't rule the offline arena, not for the forseeable future atleast...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.