GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD trouble ?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/11/00 at 14:36
Regular
Hi all,

Well , got the PS2 and I have to say - WOW. Never has £300 been so well spent. How that little box can do all this is a mystery to me..

However - I have one little 'problem'.
Borrowed 'Lock Stock' from a friend on DVD and after watching for around 30 seconds noticed the sound had got out of sync with the picture (by about .5 seconds). I assumed it was a problem with the disc.
Paused it, went to get a coffee, came back and unpaused it , and it was all back in sync again. Weird or what ?

So question is , has anyone else noticed this, my friend claims the DVD is fine on his player.

PS - SSX absolutely rocks ! Go and buy it NOW. Right NOW.
Wed 29/11/00 at 17:24
Regular
"Top Gun"
Ive used the cable which came with my PS2 and the PsOne RF Cable and it works fiine.
Wed 29/11/00 at 16:56
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
they make the best consumer electronics..we all know that dont we now
Wed 29/11/00 at 15:43
ok....

Well, I can't explain that....which scart Socket are you using, AV1/RGB OR AV2/YC2 ?

My TV gives an inferior picture with the composite lead supplied, in EITHER of the SCART sockets.

My ps1 RGB SCART cable gives a s****y picture in AV2/YC2, but still plays DVD in the correct colours. probably cos the RGB cable also has a composite video signal. However, when I put the RGB cable into AV1/RGB SCART socket, it gives a much imporved, true RGB picture for games, but DVD playback in green only.

have you tried your original PSX SCART in BOTH SCART sockets?

Anyone else care to explain this phenomenon 'cos I can't.....

(my TV is a 50Hz also)....by the way how did you guess my Widescreen TV was made by Sony?? do I know you? ;)
Wed 29/11/00 at 15:32
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
dave...im using a 28" sony widescreen as well ....50hz not 100 hz does that matter
Wed 29/11/00 at 14:52
Good question.....

Ive tried but had no luck...yet.

No luck with the Monster Cable yet, either....
Wed 29/11/00 at 14:43
So where and when can I get one of these fables S-video cables as mentioned in the PS2 instructions ?

From reading the posts they are not available in the shops, although Sony claim they exist.

Anyone know more about getting one ?
Wed 29/11/00 at 14:39
> haha I don't work in Dixons: I found most of this stuff out by
> investigating on the WEB this week.

Your average Dixons staff would have to go and find out what a SCART connection was! :-)

> Anyone else know much about S-video and how it compares to RGB and
> composite?

I've read time and time again that S-Video gives you by far the best picture quality, but I've never used it so I couldn't swear to that.

Wookiee (aka Babylonian)
Wed 29/11/00 at 14:28
Humpo...first of all, mate, what size TV are you using?

If you're on a smaller screen you may not notice;

I'm using a 28" widescreen TV, and with the RGB it looks like a high-quality computer monitor. With the composite it looks like I'm in Fuzzy-felt land. (anyone here remember fuzzy-felt?)

It really makes a LOT of difference, particularly with text and menus.

haha I don't work in Dixons: I found most of this stuff out by investigating on the WEB this week.

Morgan, At the moment, I don't know if the RGB problem is software or Hardware.

If Sony have cut the board inside the PS2, IE, Hardware, it will no doubt be difficult to reinstate the RGB DVD capability, due to the difficulty of playing around with ps2's internal circuitry.

If it's been done in software, with the internal dvd driver program, then maybe a future update of the software could sort it out. (note in the "versions" menu, the DVD driver has a version number)

However, I couldn't say exactly how many cable swaps would damage your TV or pS2, but lets just say the fewer swaps the better! these connections aren't really designed for constant unplugging, like your mains plug!

Like I said before, the only real alternative for decent picture quality will probably be the S-video cable (and what happened to that, Sony?) which, according to the manual will give superior picture quality to the composite cable supplied, AND is DVD compatible.

I've never used S-video myself but am assured that it is a good quality picture format; most home cinema enthusiasts swear by it.

Anyone else know much about S-video and how it compares to RGB and composite?
Wed 29/11/00 at 14:05
dave - Just like to add that this is the best explanation I have heard. Even I could understand it.

So what is the alternative ? What you are saying is you will *never* be able to play DVDs through your PS2 and an RGB connection.

This means I am left with two alternatives

a) Play my games with fuzzy-wuzzy visuals knowing that I *could* have had them in lovely crisp format but for some suit in Sony HQ

b) Constantly swap cables around eventually leading to damage in my TV and PS2

Surely that cannot be my choice ?
Wed 29/11/00 at 14:00
Regular
"~SRS~humpo"
but my games and DVDs look razor sharp or is there another level of clarity that i am missing cos i will be amazed to see it....dave do you work at dixons you seem very knowledgable

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.