GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox £99 for Xmas"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/09/02 at 13:20
Regular
Did you know that the Xbox will go down to £99.99 for Christmas ? And Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing and Ralisport Challenge will be reduced to £19.99. I kid you not my friends, at that price I will pick up another one and so will you!

Microsoft will not let the Xbox fail and with nearly 70 original titles I can't afford it it either.

So who will win the Xmas battle ? Well ask yourself this even if Sony dropped the price of the now outdated PS2 to £99.99 for Christmas which one would you want to buy ? The Xbox and that's what the majority will be saying too.

Sony have been creaming the profits and keeping the price of the PS2 artificially high for far to long, they soon dropped their plans for the PS3 didn't they because it simply couldn't compete with the Xbox. Nintendo have said that they will not make another console ever so it's a straight fight between Sony and Microsoft and one that I can see Microsoft winning in the end. They have very deep pockets and if you look at the PC market how many PC's run on Windows ? Microsoft have succeeded at everything at everything they do and they will not lose even if they have to drop the price of the Hardware and software still further.

Microsoft have the backing of the Developers and have signed up many exclusives that will never appear on Sony's outdated PS2, they have snapped up Rare which was part owned by Nintendo and who were responsible for many of Nintendo's successful titles so in the long run the Xbox will come out on top.

Independent research has suggested that the Xbox will have sold 35 Million Xbox consoles by 2005, this was based on actual sales figures and was commissioned prior to the price reduction, so what now ? well Microsoft will be on target for sales of around £50 Million Units by 2005 if there's another price reduction at Xmas.
Tue 24/09/02 at 18:41
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
MS won't put the price back up. Yes it was a good move to make for Christmas - but its also been brought dwn because the parts required to build the console are cheaper now as well.
Tue 24/09/02 at 15:21
"High polygon count"
If MS put the price back up, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.
Tue 24/09/02 at 09:03
Regular
"BOSE"
i haven't been here for a while. so i haven't read many of the posts. so i'm sorry if someone's already brought this up.

i think Microsoft lowered their XBOX price to boost their sales this christmas. i think it'll go back to normal price around March time
Mon 23/09/02 at 19:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
Thanks Wookie. That was basically my point.

Ah well.. today I finally got the Panasonic Q.

Thats probably the best thing ever. Seriously. Not even my iPod matches up to that in terms of coolness. I think I will buy it a small bed tommorrow. It was 300 quid, with the best DVD player I have seen and chipped to play all regions for everything. I think it makes toast too.

*nods head*
Sun 22/09/02 at 21:48
"High polygon count"
er-no wrote:
> You talk crap. Complete crap.

Agreed.

The absolute blatant lie about Sony dropping plans for PS3 - which quite simply is NOT true - means that no credibility can be attributed to the rest of the post, even though it already comes across as being a load of crap.
Sun 22/09/02 at 21:19
Regular
Which is what the GBA has done.
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thats what I'm saying - it got people seeing it as the cool console to own.
Sun 22/09/02 at 18:30
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> Mav - Thing is, a Sony handheld wouldn't really need to rely on things
> such as great games and specs to sell.
>
> Don't get me wrong, the PS2 is a good console with some great games.
> But overall its nothing special over the other 2 consoles. What Sony
> have done very successfully is made the Playstation brand the
> "cool" one to own.

But why is the PS2 the console to own? It's because it had already established it's user base with a previous console, and had almost no competition (let's face it, the Dreamcast failed miserably).

Ring any bells?
Sun 22/09/02 at 17:54
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Mav - Thing is, a Sony handheld wouldn't really need to rely on things such as great games and specs to sell.
Look at the PS2 - pretty lame launch titles, its first decent game didn't arrive for like 6 months (bear in mind it came out over here during November - a time when developers would want to get games out) and yet the PS2 was a sellout.
Both the X-Box and the GC outperform the PS2, and arguably, both have a better future lineup than the PS2.
Playstation sells though because of its image. It needs very little advertisement anymore and they could release the PS3 with 4 poor games and it'll still sell.

Don't get me wrong, the PS2 is a good console with some great games. But overall its nothing special over the other 2 consoles. What Sony have done very successfully is made the Playstation brand the "cool" one to own.
Sun 22/09/02 at 17:29
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Er-no you are talking crap, microsoft even said at a pressconference a couple of weeks back the average amount og games per console is about 3. So where did you get this tripe? Maybe www.tripe.com

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.