GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox £99 for Xmas"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/09/02 at 13:20
Regular
Did you know that the Xbox will go down to £99.99 for Christmas ? And Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing and Ralisport Challenge will be reduced to £19.99. I kid you not my friends, at that price I will pick up another one and so will you!

Microsoft will not let the Xbox fail and with nearly 70 original titles I can't afford it it either.

So who will win the Xmas battle ? Well ask yourself this even if Sony dropped the price of the now outdated PS2 to £99.99 for Christmas which one would you want to buy ? The Xbox and that's what the majority will be saying too.

Sony have been creaming the profits and keeping the price of the PS2 artificially high for far to long, they soon dropped their plans for the PS3 didn't they because it simply couldn't compete with the Xbox. Nintendo have said that they will not make another console ever so it's a straight fight between Sony and Microsoft and one that I can see Microsoft winning in the end. They have very deep pockets and if you look at the PC market how many PC's run on Windows ? Microsoft have succeeded at everything at everything they do and they will not lose even if they have to drop the price of the Hardware and software still further.

Microsoft have the backing of the Developers and have signed up many exclusives that will never appear on Sony's outdated PS2, they have snapped up Rare which was part owned by Nintendo and who were responsible for many of Nintendo's successful titles so in the long run the Xbox will come out on top.

Independent research has suggested that the Xbox will have sold 35 Million Xbox consoles by 2005, this was based on actual sales figures and was commissioned prior to the price reduction, so what now ? well Microsoft will be on target for sales of around £50 Million Units by 2005 if there's another price reduction at Xmas.
Sat 21/09/02 at 13:20
Did you know that the Xbox will go down to £99.99 for Christmas ? And Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing and Ralisport Challenge will be reduced to £19.99. I kid you not my friends, at that price I will pick up another one and so will you!

Microsoft will not let the Xbox fail and with nearly 70 original titles I can't afford it it either.

So who will win the Xmas battle ? Well ask yourself this even if Sony dropped the price of the now outdated PS2 to £99.99 for Christmas which one would you want to buy ? The Xbox and that's what the majority will be saying too.

Sony have been creaming the profits and keeping the price of the PS2 artificially high for far to long, they soon dropped their plans for the PS3 didn't they because it simply couldn't compete with the Xbox. Nintendo have said that they will not make another console ever so it's a straight fight between Sony and Microsoft and one that I can see Microsoft winning in the end. They have very deep pockets and if you look at the PC market how many PC's run on Windows ? Microsoft have succeeded at everything at everything they do and they will not lose even if they have to drop the price of the Hardware and software still further.

Microsoft have the backing of the Developers and have signed up many exclusives that will never appear on Sony's outdated PS2, they have snapped up Rare which was part owned by Nintendo and who were responsible for many of Nintendo's successful titles so in the long run the Xbox will come out on top.

Independent research has suggested that the Xbox will have sold 35 Million Xbox consoles by 2005, this was based on actual sales figures and was commissioned prior to the price reduction, so what now ? well Microsoft will be on target for sales of around £50 Million Units by 2005 if there's another price reduction at Xmas.
Sat 21/09/02 at 13:37
Regular
xboxaddict wrote:
> Did you know that the Xbox will go down to £99.99 for Christmas
> ? And Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing and Ralisport Challenge
> will be reduced to £19.99. I kid you not my friends, at that
> price I will pick up another one and so will you!

No, I didn't, but if it's true, I might consider getting one. However, another price cut would increase the already huge loss on X-Box consoles, and Microsoft should be using their money to get exclusive games. £160.00 is a great price, I see no reason for them to change it.

> Microsoft will not let the Xbox fail and with nearly 70 original
> titles I can't afford it it either.

That's debateable...

> So who will win the Xmas battle ? Well ask yourself this even if Sony
> dropped the price of the now outdated PS2 to £99.99 for
> Christmas which one would you want to buy ? The Xbox and that's what
> the majority will be saying too.

I doubt it. It will ultimately come down to games, and I feel that with The Getaway, Vice City, Angel Of Darkness and all those that are out already, the PS2 wins hands down.

> Sony have been creaming the profits and keeping the price of the PS2
> artificially high for far to long, they soon dropped their plans for
> the PS3 didn't they because it simply couldn't compete with the Xbox.

Erm.. I don't think that was the reason some how...

> Nintendo have said that they will not make another console ever so
> it's a straight fight between Sony and Microsoft and one that I can
> see Microsoft winning in the end. They have very deep pockets and if
> you look at the PC market how many PC's run on Windows ? Microsoft
> have succeeded at everything at everything they do and they will not
> lose even if they have to drop the price of the Hardware and software
> still further.

And when did Nintendo say this? Just because they're not rushing into development of a new console (Sony and MS) and concentrating on the games doesn't mean they're ceasing hardware production - look at the success of the GameCube and GBA, where's the business sense in stoping?

> Microsoft have the backing of the Developers and have signed up many
> exclusives that will never appear on Sony's outdated PS2, they have
> snapped up Rare which was part owned by Nintendo and who were
> responsible for many of Nintendo's successful titles so in the long
> run the Xbox will come out on top.

Well, Rare are half the company they used to be, what with the good developers leaving to join Free Radical Design or Retro Studios. And I think Sony and Nintendo are way ahead of them when it comes to developer backing.

> Independent research has suggested that the Xbox will have sold 35
> Million Xbox consoles by 2005, this was based on actual sales figures
> and was commissioned prior to the price reduction, so what now ? well
> Microsoft will be on target for sales of around £50 Million
> Units by 2005 if there's another price reduction at Xmas.

That tells us nothing. Of course the sales will be high in the first year, but you can bet your gold plated hat they'll be lower in the second, third and fourth.
Sat 21/09/02 at 13:41
Regular
The £99 rumour was just a rumour before the price drop to £159.99.
Sat 21/09/02 at 13:48
Regular
I doubt they'll drop the price again, £160 is more than worth it, considering I paid 300 bloody quid for mine!

If there is a console price drop, it should be on the PS2, then maybe i'll buy one again.
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:10
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm not too sure about the price coming down again - I think £160 is very reasonable.

Plus in reply to Mav - MS aren't really losing much if anything on each X-Box sale now as the parts it uses are cheaper to get now. So its cheaper for an X-Box to made. ;-)
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:15
Regular
"everyone says it"
You talk crap. Complete crap.

I can't be bothered to waste time responding to such nonsense.

*goes back to college work*
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:26
Regular
"everyone says it"
Savatt78 wrote:
> I'm not too sure about the price coming down again - I think
> £160 is very reasonable.
>
> Plus in reply to Mav - MS aren't really losing much if anything on
> each X-Box sale now as the parts it uses are cheaper to get now. So
> its cheaper for an X-Box to made. ;-)

No, they are losing more as they lost 3million on the advertising as the ITC removed the ad campaigns from circulation. Microsoft lose about 50 per console. They aren't making it back on software either, with an average european XBox owner owning just over 1 game (averaged). Microsoft have marketed the XBox completely wrong in all continents. Its a marketing failure as yet. No matter how good the console may be, or what potentional it has, 3 price drops don't look good to the average joe. Many people come into my shop and say 'hasn't that failed'.

:-"|
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:30
Regular
I remember loads of kids coming into GAME and throwing loads of abuse at the Gamecube saying its crap, about 23 of them. Sorry er-no you just reminded me of that.
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:41
"For the horde!!!!"
xboxaddict wrote:
> Did you know that the Xbox will go down to £99.99 for Christmas
> ? And Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing and Ralisport Challenge
> will be reduced to £19.99. I kid you not my friends, at that
> price I will pick up another one and so will you!

if Microsoft lower the price that low then it looks like a desprate move to me, i woulder if the Xbox will last long

>
> Microsoft will not let the Xbox fail and with nearly 70 original
> titles I can't afford it it either.

if it is losing them money they will scrap the Xbox

>
> So who will win the Xmas battle ? Well ask yourself this even if Sony
> dropped the price of the now outdated PS2 to £99.99 for
> Christmas which one would you want to buy ? The Xbox and that's what
> the majority will be saying too.

i don't think Sony need to drop the price

>
> Sony have been creaming the profits and keeping the price of the PS2
> artificially high for far to long, they soon dropped their plans for
> the PS3 didn't they because it simply couldn't compete with the Xbox.
> Nintendo have said that they will not make another console ever so
> it's a straight fight between Sony and Microsoft and one that I can
> see Microsoft winning in the end. They have very deep pockets and if
> you look at the PC market how many PC's run on Windows ? Microsoft
> have succeeded at everything at everything they do and they will not
> lose even if they have to drop the price of the Hardware and software
> still further.

simply couldn't compete? the PS2 astablished it's user base long before the Xbox was even launched

>
> Microsoft have the backing of the Developers and have signed up many
> exclusives that will never appear on Sony's outdated PS2, they have
> snapped up Rare which was part owned by Nintendo and who were
> responsible for many of Nintendo's successful titles so in the long
> run the Xbox will come out on top.

because they need Rare

>
> Independent research has suggested that the Xbox will have sold 35
> Million Xbox consoles by 2005, this was based on actual sales figures
> and was commissioned prior to the price reduction, so what now ? well
> Microsoft will be on target for sales of around £50 Million
> Units by 2005 if there's another price reduction at Xmas.

i think the PS2 has sold almost 33 millon units world wide NOW
Sat 21/09/02 at 19:08
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
er-no wrote:
> No, they are losing more as they lost 3million on the advertising as
> the ITC removed the ad campaigns from circulation. Microsoft lose
> about 50 per console. They aren't making it back on software either,
> with an average european XBox owner owning just over 1 game
> (averaged). Microsoft have marketed the XBox completely wrong in all
> continents. Its a marketing failure as yet. No matter how good the
> console may be, or what potentional it has, 3 price drops don't look
> good to the average joe. Many people come into my shop and say 'hasn't
> that failed'.
>
> :-"|

Ah, Nintendo's version of Gobbels returns. ;-)

An average of one game a person ? I find that hard to believe. As for people going into your shop and saying what they apparently said - it must change from area to area as I know a few shops assistants that say the same about the GC.

And as for marketing, Nintendo are probably the worst of all 3 companies trying to grab the buyers. Nintendo give out this "we want to appeal to all ages and shed our kiddie only image" then they go and do ads for games such as Mario Sunshine in the States (a complete joke as far as giving off a sense of the game being for older players as well as young) and Resident Evil - Adults get scared too ? Please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.