GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Resort"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/09/02 at 14:37
Regular
To be sung to the tune of... er... "Last Resort" by Papa Roach.

Cut Bill Gates into pieces,
This is my first resort.
Suffication, no breathing,
Don't give a f*f**k if I cut his arm bleeding.

This is my first resort.

I've reached my first resort, suffication, no breathing.
Don't give a f*f**k if I cut his arm bleeding,
Do you even care if he dies bleeding?
Would it be wrong, would it be right,
If I took his life tonight? Chances are that I might.
Mutilation out of sight,
And I'm contemplating homocide.

'Cos I'm losing my sight, losing my mind,
Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine.
Losing my sight, losing my mind,

I never realised he was after my cash,
Til it was too late and then my soul was slashed.
Always feeding on money and living in sin,
Dollars spiral, where do I begin?
It all started when he stole my wallet,
No regret for his sins or "sorry I stole it".
I'm seaching to find a decent console,
Finding nothing but train sims and Halo.

I'm losing my sight, losing my mind,

Nothing's all right, nothing is fine.
I'm running and I'm crying.
I'm crying, I'm crying,
I'm crying, I'm crying.

He... can't... go... on... spend... ing... this... way.

This is my first resort.
Suffication, no breathing,
Don't give a f*f**k if I cut his arm bleeding.

Would it be wrong, would it be right,
If I took his life tonight? Chances are that I might.
Mutilation out of sight,
And I'm contemplating homocide.

'Cos I'm losing my sight, losing my mind,

Nothing's all right, nothing is fine.
I'm running and I'm crying.

HE... CAN'T... GO... ON... SPEND... ING.... THIS.... WAY!!!!

Can't go on,
Spending this way.

Nothing's all.... RIGHT!
Sat 21/09/02 at 17:56
Regular
I see your point Savatt, and who knows, maybe everyone will get Broadband GameCube and ignore the 56K option, but if someone really wants to go online and can't get Broadband, Nintendo have catered for them, despite the fact it's a much more primative service.
Sat 21/09/02 at 17:43
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Dev - Yeah we'll have to pay the broadband bill, but at least its a fixed price and you know what your paying each month. With a modem, you ten to have pay call charges and even at local call rate, these soon mount up.

The danger is if you really enjoy online gaming and find yourself getting on as much as you can. Local call rates seem like nothing at first, but when you spend a good amount of time online, it'll soon turn the phone bill pretty ugly. Overall I'd rather pay something like £30 a month than £100. I've had experiences like this from the DC. I enjoyed playing Quake 3 and PSO and I was soon clocking up some time on them.

I can see Mav's point in that its better than nothing, but at the same time, for online gaming to really take off, it can't be held back with a modem service as it will just get a reputation as an over expensive service filled with problems.
PC owners will leave something on download for ages, but console owners won't want to sit for stupid amounts of time waiting to download extras for their games (while being charged to do so).
Lag will seriously limit the amount of players in a game making them little different to having your friends over. Not to mention that the servers will struggle when a decent amount of players try to sign on at once.
Most of the time I played on the DC online, I had to wait till stupid hours of the morning before even trying because it just wasn't worth trying during the day on weekends or between 4pm - around midnight on weekdays as there were too many people trying to get on.

I mean, its nice to be thought of with another option, but do you see what I'm saying ? The only way online play and all the excellent features that come with it will really work, is through broadband.
Plus your not clogging up the phoneline when on broadband, so people can still call you and stuff. ;-))
Sat 21/09/02 at 00:34
Regular
I didn't realise Sony were doing a 56K modem.. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be around the same as a broadband one, and surely it's better than nothing at all. Also, I doubt even 50% of gamers will make use of online gaming, so Nintendo are being quite clever to keep low key about it, and have a back up if it does appeal to most gamers.
Fri 20/09/02 at 22:25
"The Will of D."
Yeah but you have to pay your broadband bill as well though (have you moved out of your parent's house yet? with your parent's internet bill.
I'm pretty well off even for my age, because my birthday is half way through the year, my presents are spread out a bit evenly as well. So I can save up for some things and leave the rest for either Christmas or my Birthday. I'm quite organised this way.
Fri 20/09/02 at 21:54
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Devious Dragon wrote:
> Don't forget all of the other accessories for the Xbo, don't get me
> wrong but there are a few little extra things that make the Xbox tick
> as well, not to mention the PS2 with it's vertical stand and memory
> card.

Yeah the PS2 has a memory card to pay out for. Plus if you want to get the most out of some of the upcoming games and online play, you'll have to look into splashing out for not only an adapter, but also a hard drive.
So PS2 owners are in for one hell of a sting in their wallets.

As for things you mentioned such as the PS2 vertical stand and X-Box DVD controller - I didn't cover these because I didn't consider them gaming essentials. Afterall, you buy a console to play games, things like a DVD player really are a bonus.

I know an online adapter is also something that won't appeal to all gamers, but I added that because its essential for opening up another gaming option to players (you'll notice I added it after the memory card as a seperate little area to an earlier post rather than assume everyone would want an adapter). ;-)

As far as the X-Box goes, I didn't purchase the DVD remote as I already have a multi region DVD player - so its an option I don't need. As a hardcore gamer though, I'm happy that most options are already available to me out of the box with no extras needed. The only exception is the link up cable. Good news on that is that you don't need to buy the more expensive official one as cheaper PC leads can be used instead. :-)

Of course if I want X-Box Live I have to buy the package thing to subscribe and I already have broadband with my Dad on our computers. But once that package is paid for, I'm set for online play for a year.
Not only that, but if it works the same as elsewhere, the package not only gives players a years subsription, it also includes the headset and a game.
:-)

Unfortunatly for GC and PS2 owners, its not just a case of buying the adapter. I don't know how much they will charge people for using their online service, but I get the feeling that 56k users will be paying more than broadband users in the long run which isn't fair really considering they will be on a more limited service.
Thing is, how do you deal with this problem ? When it comes to 56k - if Nintendo and Sony just do it seperate with no package deals, then no doubt players will be paying out for ridiculous phone bill charges (I bloody know what thats like after playing the DC online !)
If they do manage to do a decent deal for all 56k users so they only pay so much and then use a free phone number, then no doubt everyone will pack out the servers and busy servers leads to loads of lag and bad connections.

I know its nice for Nintendo and Sony to think of people without broadband, but I can see a lot of trouble coming for people that use the 56k option.
Fri 20/09/02 at 21:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Maverick42 wrote:
> Now MS have only cut the price a third time very recently, so
> it will be interesting to see how Nintendo react around the Christmas
> period.

MS have only just done the 2nd price cut - not a 3rd. :-)
Fri 20/09/02 at 20:04
"The Will of D."
Sorry for the spelling mistake there.
Fri 20/09/02 at 20:03
"The Will of D."
Don't forget all of the other accessories for the Xbo, don't get me wrong but there are a few little extra things that make the Xbox tick as well, not to mention the PS2 with it's vertical stand and memory card.
Fri 20/09/02 at 20:00
Regular
~Ban Ban~ wrote:
> Laterz people, shame it has to come to this, just hope i become a reg
> in time for the elections :(

You? A regular? When games consoles sprout weapons and act out a console war themselves...
Fri 20/09/02 at 19:58
Regular
Savatt78 wrote:
> Thing is Strafex, yes the GC is still £30 cheaper than the
> X-Box, but you get more for your money with X-Box.
> Lets face it, when you buy a GC you need at least one memory card, so
> thats at least another £15. So what was £130 is really
> £145 unless your the 1 in a million player that doesn't want to
> save their progress, etc on their games.
>
> So overall, the GC is really £15 cheaper than an X-Box. Now
> bear in mind how huge the hard drive is and £15 doesn't seem
> like much at all. Plus if your a gamer whose interested in online
> play, if you own a GC your looking at what, another £20 -
> £30 for an adapter ? So now the GC becomes more expensive than
> an X-Box.
>
> Yes the GC is cheap - its the hidden costs that soon bump up the
> price.

Bear in mind though, that MS have been cutting their price a lot recently. First £300.00, then £200.00, and now £160.00. Throuought all of this, Nintendo have had a constant price. Now MS have only cut the price a third time very recently, so it will be interesting to see how Nintendo react around the Christmas period.

> And before someone like Devious Dragon starts stamping their feet
> about games and that Nintendo are the best, etc - bare in mind that
> thats a matter of opinion.
> A lot of people in here have bought the X-Box for the same reason
> other people have bought their PS2 or their GC - because to them, the
> console offers the best games for their tastes.

Amen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.