GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft buy Rare?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
Thought you guys would be intrested in this if you haven't already see it

Please not that none of this article has been confirmed yet, and it's all just rumour.

Activision didn't have enough money, but Bill 'Richie Rich' Gates's company was willing to knock down 350 million for them. This is about 500 million Euro/dollar.

Microsoft is said to have held a meeting recently with Rare in a hotel near Twycross, the developer's base. A deal was made, and Microsoft will make make a big announcement at their X02 event in Seville later this month, where the company will showcase new exclusive Xbox titles.

The rumour continues. Perfect Dar Zero will be developed exclusively for Xbox. That would also be the reason why we haven't heard from it anymore since last year's E3.

Hmmmmm is this true, you guess is as good as mine.
Sat 07/09/02 at 18:07
Regular
I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Sat 07/09/02 at 17:44
gamezfreak wrote:
> Hopefully an annoucement should be made soon.

Heres me hoping :)
Sat 07/09/02 at 17:27
Regular
Hopefully an annoucement should be made soon.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:46
Lets hope so :)
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:12
Regular
Gridloch wrote:
> well if Rare get a large injection of cash they can start development
> on some good projects. When you say multi-format would that include
> the PS2 maybe? Microsoft may try and cash in on the popuality of the
> PS2 asuming the deal gos through.

Urgh, Rare games on PS2, i hope i never see the day that happens.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:06
"For the horde!!!!"
gamezfreak wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Can't understand really why Rare would go along with this. The best
> thing would be for them to go multi-format but anyway we will see.
>
> I agree, It'd be best all round if Rare went Multiformat, that way no
> console will have Rare "Exclusive" games.

well if Rare get a large injection of cash they can start development on some good projects. When you say multi-format would that include the PS2 maybe? Microsoft may try and cash in on the popuality of the PS2 asuming the deal gos through.
Sat 07/09/02 at 15:45
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Can't understand really why Rare would go along with this. The best
> thing would be for them to go multi-format but anyway we will see.

I agree, It'd be best all round if Rare went Multiformat, that way no console will have Rare "Exclusive" games.
Sat 07/09/02 at 15:16
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'll have to goto Fog chat soon then and see whats happening. ;-)

As for the multi-platform thing, yeah that would be a good direction, but if Microsoft are giving them an excellent price, then both companies are getting something. Rare get a large wad of cash and Microsoft have an excellent edition to the X-Box's support.

Will be interesting to see how Rare may use the X-Box's hard drive if they do end up becoming exclusive to the X-Box. Plus Microsoft get another audience attracted to the X-Box because there are a lot of people that enjoy Rare's games. You only have to look on these forums to see that Rare's move will attract more people to the console.
Sat 07/09/02 at 14:38
Regular
You may want to check out chat as well for more info on the Rare thing. Though none of it's official I got a gut feeling that the Rare thing is gonna be settled soon and all fingers are pointing at Microsoft buying them out.

Can't understand really why Rare would go along with this. The best thing would be for them to go multi-format but anyway we will see.

Oh and the DK racing thing, depending on how far along they got in the games development it's more than likely that they'll take Donkey Kong out and still carry on with the game. As far as I know Rare own the rights to Diddy Kong and all of his ar$e faced chums.

If there's one good thing coming out of this it means we get to see the back of Diddy Kong one of the most annoying characters in game history. :D
Sat 07/09/02 at 14:28
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Anyway back to the subject before it became console wars. The Ninty forum has an interesting thing to read in their MS buy Rare topic. Its not official, but still an interesting read.

Starfox being the last Rare game for Nintendo is pretty believable too as things like Donkey Kong Racing seem to have just disappeared off the face of the earth as far as news is concerned. Of course Donkey Kong Racing won't come to the X-Box, but Perfect Dark 0 could very well end up as an X-Box exclusive if Rare make the switch.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.