GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox DVD playback"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/09/02 at 00:49
Regular
Heh, i love reading through the arguments in this forum...

Anyways, i aint here to comment on that...

Basically, I want a DVD player for my bedroom. I was thinking of buying a player for around £150ish. Then all of a sudden it hits me that the Xbox is around the same price, and will also be multi-region when dvd region x comes out later this month. Plus i'll be able to play the few quality titles on the xbox ;)

The main question is this, how does the DVD playback compare with the PS2 playback?

All comments appreciated.

WoRd
Mon 02/09/02 at 13:48
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Ortega...
>
> Don't you already have a PS2?

Yes, but thats set up downstairs. I want somthing personally for my Bedroom.
Mon 02/09/02 at 13:34
Regular
I have'nt got the dvd playback kit yet, but loads of my mates have.

I must say the remote gives all the features you would find on a stand alone DVD player.

Also i don't think you get the green-screen problem that yo do with the PS2 on some DVD's.
Mon 02/09/02 at 13:05
Regular
"yamahapkowner.com"
Whitestripes wrote:
> garbe123 wrote:
> The
> actual DVD player is superb and is actually better than a lot of the
> top end stand-alone DVD players on the market.
>
> I wouldn't go that far...Sony (and others) don't make £400 DVD
> players tat can be beaten by a £150 'console'.
>
> Anyway, if you want the best DVD player you should get a DVD drive on
> your PC. Unless you have some sort of Super TV, monitors have a higher
> level of detail, and a quicker refresh rate than TV screens do.
> Although of course a Super Monitor beats a Super TV :)
>
> Plus you only need a 2x DVD drive to watch DVDs, and you can get them
> for anywhere between £20 - £500, and anything over about
> £200-250 is likely to have a DVD writer/RW as well.

Actually just to add more flavour to this argumentative soup :) The Quality of DVD on the PS2 and the Xbox is very good compared to a lot of mid range players. Just think of all the hardware in the Xbox, the graphics power we enjoy. The money Microsoft has spent building the Xbox, it cost £400 per Xbox when it first was released which would meet your Sony Player any day.

I have seen many DVD players including Sony ones and found that the Xbox has the better features and the better picture.

The Computer Monitor argument i dont agree with either (sorry!!!)

Yes monitors have higher resolutions and refresh rates, but the humble TV although no where near as high as a monitor presents DVD films better then monitors.

It clears up the compressions defects in a lot of areas due to less pixels then a monitor, where as a monitor shows these up very clearely which is not of course a good thing.

I do video editing on my PC and use MPEG-2 all the time now. Stick with the tried and tested TV. Bigger, Gets rid of some compression problems (all be it not very cleverly) and is much nicer to watch on a TV then on a monitor with your PC humming loudly!
Mon 02/09/02 at 12:07
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Also, the annoying whine from the fan can make movies less enjoyable, unless you have some super duper sound system...like me ;-)
Mon 02/09/02 at 12:05
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
If I were you, I'd wait for region X to be released before you get one, if multiregion is that important to you.

It's just the release date has been put back quite a few times for this, and there is speculation on the newsgroups e.t.c. about whether datel will be able to get it to work (unless they've already released it, and me being slow, I haven't noticed :-))
Mon 02/09/02 at 10:54
Regular
Ortega...

Don't you already have a PS2?

Anyway, from SR you can get an Xbox with Halo for 180, and the DVD remote is another 20 quid.
Personally, I think that we should all boycott the Xbox for a few months, so poor sales force MS to cut the price even further...
Mon 02/09/02 at 08:59
Download dvd genie if you want to reset the region lock.
Mon 02/09/02 at 01:44
Regular
I already got a DVD player for my PC. But these days the drives get locked onto a region after you play a DVD for about the 6th time (i need multiregion ya see). THe only way you can reverse this is by messing about with the firmware, and to be honest I havnt got a clue on how to mess around with that. PLus you can actually destroy your drive...
Mon 02/09/02 at 01:29
Regular
garbe123 wrote:
> The
> actual DVD player is superb and is actually better than a lot of the
> top end stand-alone DVD players on the market.

I wouldn't go that far...Sony (and others) don't make £400 DVD players tat can be beaten by a £150 'console'.

Anyway, if you want the best DVD player you should get a DVD drive on your PC. Unless you have some sort of Super TV, monitors have a higher level of detail, and a quicker refresh rate than TV screens do. Although of course a Super Monitor beats a Super TV :)

Plus you only need a 2x DVD drive to watch DVDs, and you can get them for anywhere between £20 - £500, and anything over about £200-250 is likely to have a DVD writer/RW as well.
Mon 02/09/02 at 01:27
Regular
Ah cool.

Right, now i just need to find the best deal. Best I've seen so far is on Gameplay.com £189.99 For Xbox+ Dead or alive 3 and official dvd playback kit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.