GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox DVD playback"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/09/02 at 00:49
Regular
Heh, i love reading through the arguments in this forum...

Anyways, i aint here to comment on that...

Basically, I want a DVD player for my bedroom. I was thinking of buying a player for around £150ish. Then all of a sudden it hits me that the Xbox is around the same price, and will also be multi-region when dvd region x comes out later this month. Plus i'll be able to play the few quality titles on the xbox ;)

The main question is this, how does the DVD playback compare with the PS2 playback?

All comments appreciated.

WoRd
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:05
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
not signed in on MSN sav, ummmmmm naughty naughty :)
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:00
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Enjoying your X-Box Ortega ? ;-) Theres loads of excellent games coming out over the next few months. :-)

Will you be getting X-Box Live once its available ? :-)
Wed 04/09/02 at 16:32
Regular
Or†ega wrote:
> Cheers for the feedback.

No Problem :)

> Got my Xbox in the post this morning =)

Cool! I love getting mail.

I got a bank statement in the post this morning!

> Must say I'm pretty impressed with the picture quality, i;d say its a
> little bit better than the PS2 picture.

What TV connection are you using?

> I also nearly forgot that the Xbox had a hard-drive until my bro
> reminded me! I was about to go out to buy a memory card for saving as
> well!

lol :)

Just gonna put some new soundtracks onto the drive.

What games have you got Ortega?
Wed 04/09/02 at 14:36
Regular
Cheers for the feedback.

Got my Xbox in the post this morning =)

Must say I'm pretty impressed with the picture quality, i;d say its a little bit better than the PS2 picture.

I also nearly forgot that the Xbox had a hard-drive until my bro reminded me! I was about to go out to buy a memory card for saving as well!
Tue 03/09/02 at 12:21
Regular
"accidental superher"
ok i have a ps2 and an xbox and i do find that the xbox dvd playback is better than ps2....
i think it also loads in and out of menus quicker (cos i heard that the disc actually spins faster...but then that could be a pile of bs)...
i don't like having to bring up the menus on the ps2 while playing dvds....cos the menu is obtrusive and big...
xbox does it well and has it neatly tucked in at the bottom...
not that this should make much difference (seeing as i never use these features) but it does have more features than the ps2 dvd remote...such as looping. faster ff and rewinding...zooming
Tue 03/09/02 at 00:15
Regular
Err...I think your using the wrong thing, I'll check tommorow when my technology geek friend comes round.
Mon 02/09/02 at 22:04
Regular
I have that SVHS cable Whitestripes and it cost me £27.99, the resolution is lost on the transport and your PC has to be on all the time! In short it isn't very good and I was very disappointed with it.
Mon 02/09/02 at 21:56
Regular
GlideM wrote:
>
>
> Actually just to add more flavour to this argumentative soup :) The
> Quality of DVD on the PS2 and the Xbox is very good compared to a lot
> of mid range players. Just think of all the hardware in the Xbox, the
> graphics power we enjoy. The money Microsoft has spent building the
> Xbox, it cost £400 per Xbox when it first was released which
> would meet your Sony Player any day.
>
> I have seen many DVD players including Sony ones and found that the
> Xbox has the better features and the better picture.

No. I'm sorry but your totally wrong. The reason the X-box is so expensive is because of its processor and graphics chip. The X-box costs £400 to make, but it's mainly for playing games. A £400 Sony DVD player is £400 worth of pure DVD quality.

>
> Yes monitors have higher resolutions and refresh rates, but the humble
> TV although no where near as high as a monitor presents DVD films
> better then monitors.
>
> It clears up the compressions defects in a lot of areas due to less
> pixels then a monitor, where as a monitor shows these up very clearely
> which is not of course a good thing.
>
>

Well your right about the compressions, but firstly my PC monitor is bigger than the TV in my room. Secondly, if a DVD is well produced you won't have those compression problems. My Lord of the Rings DVD has no such problems, but watching the Friends DVD, which is just episodes shoved on a DVD disc, you can notice them.

And thirdly, for the low price a simple cable, you can run the DVD on your PC and display it on your TV. So ner :P
Mon 02/09/02 at 21:14
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I own the DVD playback Kit and I think its all good. Quality is of course good crisp and although I havn't seen a DVD on a PS2, many articles have said that the Xbox is a better quality player for movies.

I read an article in some DVD mag who were assesing the Xbox's quality, the said it performs as well as standalone players of the same price(that was when it cost £200). Considering it is games console, you can't really ask for more.

As I think Tom pointed out, the "whirring" of the xbox's internal fan interups during quiet bits but generally I don't notice it. Besides, you'll be watching loud action films, won't you? :P
Mon 02/09/02 at 13:50
Regular
redeyez wrote:
> Download dvd genie if you want to reset the region lock.

DVD genie only gets rid of software region lock. My actual DVD drive has its region locked onto R1 and DVD genie does nothing for that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.