GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who thinks PS2 is rubbish?I do"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/11/00 at 18:38
Regular
It is a waste of money and is no where near as good as a N64 or a PC. Also if it is like any of the Playstation 1 games it will be rubbish
Thu 23/11/00 at 14:01
Xizor wrote:
> and rather ironically is the DC's main method
> of rendering its display (known as SuperScaling),

Duh, Its called SuperSampling not SuperScaling, /me falls over now, its amazing how much lunch enhances my memory :)
Thu 23/11/00 at 12:33
Concentration is almost non-existant for me. I'm supposed to be revising for my Windows 2000 Exam that I'm taking next week, but so far I've read the same page about 15 times and spent the rest of the time browsing the PS2 sites and reading this topic - which is the first decent discussion on here for ages.
Thu 23/11/00 at 12:24
> I'm sure the
> final game will be a very 'polished' product when it gets

Can we shoot you now, or do we have to wait?

Yes, methinks the topic is dead. At least until Meders comes back and posts more cr@p.

As for work... yes, I've stuff to do, but I get my PS2 tonight, so concentration is somewhat lacking. Ho hum.
Thu 23/11/00 at 12:07

As things stand at the moment, it only seems to affect 'basic' cars at certain angles. Race models - with the sponsorship textures etc. - seem to look fine.>

I think part of the problem is there are still several pics from old builds of the game around and it has come a long way since those first screenshots.

I'll apologise now for what I'm going to say, but I'm sure the final game will be a very 'polished' product when it gets here....arggh sorry, that was terrible :)

It seems we have come to a sort of natural end to the topic, which is a shame as I've still got the afternoon at work to get through (I'm guessing you have as well ;) ).
Thu 23/11/00 at 11:56
You know this topic was actually fun and interesting to read.
Thu 23/11/00 at 11:49
> also reduce (but not completely remove) the now infamous
> complaints about jaggies(lets not go any furthur on that topic)

Agreed. It doesn't seem to be such a problem now anyway, judging by the most recent screenshots.

> It sure is very pretty although I personally wish they would
> reduce the shinyness (sp?) on the cars as it sometimes looks a
> little surreal.

I agree. Mind youm it has been reduced a lot since the game first appeared - the PS2 footage used in the GT2 intro made them look like glass cars!

As things stand at the moment, it only seems to affect 'basic' cars at certain angles. Race models - with the sponsorship textures etc. - seem to look fine.
Thu 23/11/00 at 11:36

It is possible I suppose, and rather ironically is the DC's main method of rendering its display (known as SuperScaling), it should also reduce (but not completely remove) the now infamous complaints about jaggies(lets not go any furthur on that topic)

Ah well, guess I'll just have to be patient to see the final build.

It sure is very pretty although I personally wish they would reduce the shinyness (sp?) on the cars as it sometimes looks a little surreal.

Hehehe, you imply that he actually used his brain ;)
Thu 23/11/00 at 11:17
> How are you going to display 1280*480 on a TV screen?
> (Mine will only go to 800*600, then it begins to make strange
> noises, dont ask how I checked it will invalidate the warranty :) )

Well, I don't know how it's done, but that's what the latest reports are saying. PSM2 is where I read it, I think.

Presumably it is rendered internally at that resolution and then downgraded for TV output. If so, then the extra work involved in doing that makes the power of the machine still more impressive

> BTW: can you tell me where I can download a vid clip at that res.
> as well, I'd like to see this, all the ones I have seen (and the
> ects demo) were at 640*480.

I don't think I've even seen a 640x480 vid clip! Just the odd small one on the gaming sites.

By far the best video I've seen of GT3 is on the PSW DVD. I believe the output is taken straight from the PS2, but however they did it, the game looks extremely fast and pretty.

And finally... do we care what Meders thinks? :-)
Thu 23/11/00 at 10:55
Oh and I bet Meders is p|ssed that we turned his topic into a fairly intelligable debate :)
Thu 23/11/00 at 10:49
How are you going to display 1280*480 on a TV screen?
(Mine will only go to 800*600, then it begins to make strange noises, dont ask how I checked it will invalidate the warranty :) )

Also check the way the PS2 renders the display, it combines two 320*480 bitplanes interlaced at 50Hz to produce its output (from what I've read on the PAL output, its probably slightly more complicated than that though as the actual GS engine is supposed to be capable of rendering at higher res. I've just never seen it done and I haven't checked if the PS2 DAC can handle it either, I'll see what I can find.)

BTW: can you tell me where I can download a vid clip at that res. as well, I'd like to see this, all the ones I have seen (and the ects demo) were at 640*480.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.