GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Toca Race Driver - First Impressions"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/08/02 at 10:10
Regular
I got it this morning, loaded it up etc.

Chose to go straight into career. Saw that disturbing video of the crash. I only got offered one test Drive at the start but thankfully it was at an easy Brands Hatch course. Well, beat the test drive time by 18 seconds. Started up the race, and oh my God. Every car is faster than me. One little skid and you go down to last place with no chance of getting anywhere near the points. Really annoyed, so spend the entire second race driving around the track in reverse crashing into the cars and making them all boogered. Eventually retire after my car can only go in a straight line at 18 mph. Play through Silverstone, start 3rd so decide to play sensibly. The sun is so bright I can't see the track and within 12 seconds I'm 14th with all the other cars at the other side of the track. Really utterly annoyed so i decide to go on a violent rampage in this race. This results in me being 6th at the end of he first lap with little cars in sight behind or in front of me. At last a point. By the end of the 3rd lap I'm 1st. I finish in this position but realise that the bloody game hadn't told me it was a mandatory pit stop race and I come 14th again. Put everything into the last 2 races and coe 7th then 14th. Finish 13th overall in the championship. Break down and cry.

At this point in time I hate the game.

I just started a new championship thing with Alfa Romeo in an all Alfa season. It's good now as all cars are even yet the top 5 still seem to get miles ahead of everyone else. I'm on the third race of that now, I finished 5th and 6th and it's getting much more enjoyable.

View: Starts rubbish, but picks up later.

Score so far: 6/10 - A bit too tough and frustrating to be truly enjoyable.

View: Starts crap, but
Sat 24/08/02 at 22:28
Regular
Fantasy Meister, you are so right about all the technical stuff and that crash must have ruled so much bum.

I have always loved toca. I was a few years younger when the first one came out. my cousin had it, we started to play "Tig" or "Tag" and it was a luagh. And with a bench mark for handling and body damage at the time, it made it that much sweeter.

As I explained to a guy on MSN earlier. The concept was to tag your opponent by the slightest touch or by the hugest smash.

That was fun and it kinda caught on with all my other mates when ToCA2 Touring Cars was released. With new benchmarks set once again and the addition of a two player season it was a classic 'must own' PS1 game and still is.

I never ever played World Touring CArs for some very odd reason. I only noticed this when I heard about Toca Race Diver, heh.

...::The Most Amazing Game Of Tag Ever!::...

Setup: PS2, 4 PS2 Controllers, 4 Mates(who preferably bring some beer), a multitap and a copy of ToCA Race Driver.

How: When you get the game, dont tell anyone or they will try to knock down your door right away. Play one player for a wee bit to unlock a sweet MINI COOPER, CHEVORLET, MITSIBUSHI LANCER, etc. Then pick multiplayer, stick in the multitap.

By this time your mates will be bored of trying to kick your door down and will have bought beer. Get them to your house and pick a good looking car.

Explain the concept of "Tag" and there you have it. You may never have so much fun ever again in a racing game, ever! I swear. debris everywhere. Or how about having a 4-way "chicken" event.

ToCA... oh the possibilities
Sun 25/08/02 at 11:01
Regular
I miss the way you could tip other cars round by pushing into the side-back of them.
Sun 25/08/02 at 12:30
TOCA is great game can't stop playing it. I amm now on the power league and the cars are so much faster and harder to control but when they crash, they really smash themselves up. Wonder how fast the cars are in the lola championship. About the cheat codes it says that you can unlock tracks as well so do u reckon you might be able to unlock a figure of eight track? That would be the best.
Sun 25/08/02 at 15:35
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
ps2_proud wrote:
> Well, whatever that Oasis tw@t was saying was wrong. well, the pop-ups
> are a bit pants but the game is great. and what some other guy said
> about not seeing a clip in the first three seasons, bo**ocks!!!
>
> For all of us that know a great game when we see one, ENJOY!

F * * K U

This game is awful!!!
Sun 25/08/02 at 16:21
"she wants to move"
oasismark wrote:
> ps2_proud wrote:
> Well, whatever that Oasis tw@t was saying was wrong. well, the
> pop-ups
> are a bit pants but the game is great. and what some other guy said
> about not seeing a clip in the first three seasons, bo**ocks!!!
>
> For all of us that know a great game when we see one, ENJOY!
>
> F * * K U
>
> This game is awful!!!

shurrup and go back and play britneys dance game!
Sun 25/08/02 at 16:34
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Natbuc, but I've been going to see BTCC races in person for the last five years, and I think I know how the cars are affected by impacts. One small shunt into the tyre wall and a driver will most likely be getting out of the car. There is nothing realistic about the damage in this game.
Sun 25/08/02 at 16:38
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Anyway, I won't be trying out those codes to see if there's an improvement because I have returned the game. I really am mystified as to how they could release that as a final product. It's been in development for years as well! Anyone wanna bet the X-box & PC versions will be fantastic?
Sun 25/08/02 at 18:17
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Hmmm, from the comments everyone has made, the challenge alone makes me want to buy this game.
Sun 25/08/02 at 19:11
"she wants to move"
do you get to drive the nissan skyline GTR 34???
Sun 25/08/02 at 19:45
Regular
Just won my first ever championship.
The South Pacific one, won by 15 point lead.

I love this game..

It's on 9/10 at the mo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.