GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Toca Race Driver - First Impressions"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/08/02 at 10:10
Regular
I got it this morning, loaded it up etc.

Chose to go straight into career. Saw that disturbing video of the crash. I only got offered one test Drive at the start but thankfully it was at an easy Brands Hatch course. Well, beat the test drive time by 18 seconds. Started up the race, and oh my God. Every car is faster than me. One little skid and you go down to last place with no chance of getting anywhere near the points. Really annoyed, so spend the entire second race driving around the track in reverse crashing into the cars and making them all boogered. Eventually retire after my car can only go in a straight line at 18 mph. Play through Silverstone, start 3rd so decide to play sensibly. The sun is so bright I can't see the track and within 12 seconds I'm 14th with all the other cars at the other side of the track. Really utterly annoyed so i decide to go on a violent rampage in this race. This results in me being 6th at the end of he first lap with little cars in sight behind or in front of me. At last a point. By the end of the 3rd lap I'm 1st. I finish in this position but realise that the bloody game hadn't told me it was a mandatory pit stop race and I come 14th again. Put everything into the last 2 races and coe 7th then 14th. Finish 13th overall in the championship. Break down and cry.

At this point in time I hate the game.

I just started a new championship thing with Alfa Romeo in an all Alfa season. It's good now as all cars are even yet the top 5 still seem to get miles ahead of everyone else. I'm on the third race of that now, I finished 5th and 6th and it's getting much more enjoyable.

View: Starts rubbish, but picks up later.

Score so far: 6/10 - A bit too tough and frustrating to be truly enjoyable.

View: Starts crap, but
Sat 24/08/02 at 13:47
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I share the opinion that it's way too easy. I won my first championship no bother, and then won every single race in my second championship.

Combined with the crap graphics and pointless damage I reckon I'm trading it back as well.
Sat 24/08/02 at 13:53
Regular
"  "
The game kicks poo compared to the demo. There is no slowdown at all! And the damage is more evident, especially on opponents. Also the handling is mucho improvo'd. You feel like you actually have grip on the road rather than the loose handling in the demo. The replays are a little slow but they are very exciting to watch. I love it!
Sat 24/08/02 at 14:06
Regular
I think its a great game. I like the the way the game follows a story, like with Ryan McKane following his dream.

The damage rate is brilliant. The way you can wreck your car completely...
Sat 24/08/02 at 14:16
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
>
> The damage rate is brilliant. The way you can wreck your car
> completely...

The damage is so unrealistic, i've tried totaling the car by hitting barriers at full speed and all that happens is the bonnet falls off. Realistically that kind of crash would put a man in hospital, if not kill him, not let him finish race by driving wrong way around track to try and make a wheel come off.

I couldn't total the car in a 3 lap race as much as i tried.

If you like it then good on ya but i'm taking mine back for a refund.
Sat 24/08/02 at 15:19
Regular
Fine you do that, but dont paste it all over this forum. I think i speak for the majority of people here in saying that this is an excellent game.

I won my first championship just now. Whoo.
Sat 24/08/02 at 15:29
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Hmmm, I'm confused. This really is SO BAD! I haven't seen pop-up so blatant since the PS1! I had a whole bunch of trees flickering in and out of existence as I headed down the main straight at Fuji. I'm thinking Microsoft must have bribed the Codies to release a shoddy version for the PS2 so the X-box one looks so much better, cos there's no excuse for this. I fear for the quality of CMR3 now.

And be honest, hitting a wall has no more effect on your performance than it does in GT3. So what if your bonnet flies off. I'm told there are cheat codes to increase the handling difficulty and the effects of damage... that is all that can save this games reputation in my view.
Sat 24/08/02 at 16:23
"High polygon count"
A mate of mine bought this, and brought it round yesterday.

Crud.

I don't know what screenshots the mags have been using, but I'd imagine Xbox and/or PC. The graphics are average, and the replays are just plain dire.

Seeing what the PS2 can do with racing games on GT3 and the Moto GP series, this game is an embarrassment to the PS2. Shoddy work all round from the Codies; the PS1 versions were better. I'll be avoiding this like the plague.
Sat 24/08/02 at 16:35
"she wants to move"
im still waiting for mine to pop through the door sr....!
Sat 24/08/02 at 16:52
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I think it's great all round, haven't had much time to play it.

Nat, look at rear view slow-down can be terrible if there are more than five/six cars in your view.

Longtivity wise it should be great, there are a two extra secret championships to be unlocked, won't say anymore as don't want to spoil it for you !
Sat 24/08/02 at 17:27
sO i proably shoulnt buy, it as chances are, i wont like it. right?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.