GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Toca Race Driver - First Impressions"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/08/02 at 10:10
Regular
I got it this morning, loaded it up etc.

Chose to go straight into career. Saw that disturbing video of the crash. I only got offered one test Drive at the start but thankfully it was at an easy Brands Hatch course. Well, beat the test drive time by 18 seconds. Started up the race, and oh my God. Every car is faster than me. One little skid and you go down to last place with no chance of getting anywhere near the points. Really annoyed, so spend the entire second race driving around the track in reverse crashing into the cars and making them all boogered. Eventually retire after my car can only go in a straight line at 18 mph. Play through Silverstone, start 3rd so decide to play sensibly. The sun is so bright I can't see the track and within 12 seconds I'm 14th with all the other cars at the other side of the track. Really utterly annoyed so i decide to go on a violent rampage in this race. This results in me being 6th at the end of he first lap with little cars in sight behind or in front of me. At last a point. By the end of the 3rd lap I'm 1st. I finish in this position but realise that the bloody game hadn't told me it was a mandatory pit stop race and I come 14th again. Put everything into the last 2 races and coe 7th then 14th. Finish 13th overall in the championship. Break down and cry.

At this point in time I hate the game.

I just started a new championship thing with Alfa Romeo in an all Alfa season. It's good now as all cars are even yet the top 5 still seem to get miles ahead of everyone else. I'm on the third race of that now, I finished 5th and 6th and it's getting much more enjoyable.

View: Starts rubbish, but picks up later.

Score so far: 6/10 - A bit too tough and frustrating to be truly enjoyable.

View: Starts crap, but
Tue 27/08/02 at 16:04
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Asher, "gf" is that grand father ???
Tue 27/08/02 at 15:44
Regular
It's nice to see the opposition c***-up. They drive into each other, skid around, drive into walls.

My gf was playing me at Multi, on Vancouver. She was first at the end of the last lap, and we approached the pit. She slowed down and I went straigh on into her and pushed her into the pit. I quickly reversed and won.
Tue 27/08/02 at 15:18
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Na†ßu© wrote:
> and was hit at full speed by a Vectra and was sent into a crumbling
> mess.

I wasn't aware of Vectras in the game. You sure it wasn't an Astra?
Tue 27/08/02 at 14:06
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
The A.I. in TOCA is very good, it's nice to see computer controlled cars cornering too fast and crashing or running onto the grass.
Tue 27/08/02 at 13:54
Regular
"  "
I'll have that when you've had it judged :) Please.

I just saw an amazing crash (tell me something new :D)

I was around 10th in the DTM at Nurbergring (with both SIM codes on) and I was on the home straight side by side with Bernt Shneider (Leverkusen player?) and we was at about 120 mph and I swung out and hit him in the side and he rolled then flipped over a couple of times and was hit at full speed by a Vectra and was sent into a crumbling mess. Awesome. He finished last as well almost 1 minute behind the 13th place car :P
Tue 27/08/02 at 12:46
Regular
I was the first to review it properly. :-)
Tue 27/08/02 at 12:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Hurrah, finally got it this morning, damn postal delivery service delivering my game late >:(

Anyway, great game, exactly what I was hoping to be, I've just completed the first championship and unlocked the mini from that cocky guy who challanges you. The graphics a far better looking and smoother than the demo version, although there is quite a bit of pop up and the game on the whole doesn't look as good as GT3. Still it looks good, and plays ten times better than it's graphics engine.

Great racing game, I'd say it was the best in the TOCA series so far, and the story line is supringly well told to say plots don't usually belong in racing games. Plenty og things to do as well, and unlock, this game should occupy my gaming time for while to come.
Tue 27/08/02 at 11:44
Regular
I was like you, delta.

Now I've won 4 championships and I'm in the second tier :-)
Mon 26/08/02 at 22:21
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
You unlock the Mini by winning one of the spot challenges.
Mon 26/08/02 at 21:29
I mean the demo by the way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.