GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is Anybody Interested in MGS2 substance?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/07/02 at 12:04
Regular
Admit it,MGS2 was a tad disappointing.The FMV sequences were to long and the plot was hard to follow at times.Well, Konami are hard at work on MGS substance.For starters you get MGS:SOL (but dont worry you dont have to play through it all over again)but with loads of extras included.It will have loads of new missions including over 200 VR missions.You will also have new weapons including swords!And one mission sees you as snake on a skateboard grinding around the big shell.The really bad thing is that its not out until spring 2003 and lets hope its worth the wait!
Sun 28/07/02 at 21:54
Regular
"Hmmm....."
:O

Im shocked, I just looked at the screens that I saw a while back and yes, the guards do look cel shaded. But I thought he meant the whole thing was going to be cel shaded, which it obviously isnt. And I didnt see him saying the VR missions guards would be.

Thats the only thing that is cel shaded.

Yes, I *do* know what cel shading is.

And yeah, I suppose I owe him a slight apology.

Im sorry dude.

But im right for what *I* thought he meant though, but what I thought he meant was something different. So I was wrong.

okay?

:)
Sun 28/07/02 at 21:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Oh, and herc, you're idea about cell shading are nonsense. Mantis is spot on. It's a full 3d engine, but the polygons are shaded to look like solid blocks of cartoonesque items.
Sun 28/07/02 at 21:47
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Let's clear this up...

The Skateboarding scenes were shown at E3, but EDGE magazine clearly says that they're not going to appear in the final game. Apparantly this was just something Kojima-san did for fun.

Anyway, MGS2, in hindsight, wasn't great. It tried too hard to be a film, with excessive cut scenes and linearity. Although the gameplay style (esp in European superhard mode) was excellent (espionage proper), it got pathetic at the end.

Sonic
Sun 28/07/02 at 16:43
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Hercules!, Hurn was right all along. THe VR missions in Substance feature cel shaded guards and wireframe levels. The levels get "painted in" as you progress through them.

Don't tell me i'm wrong because i'm staring at pictures from X gamer mag infront of me with a paragraph of writing all about it.

It seams you don't understand what cel shading actually is. It is NOT like parapper the rapper. Cel shaded games are fully 3D it's just they LOOK 2D due to black outlines and bold colours.

I think you should say you are sorry to Hurn. :P
Sat 27/07/02 at 13:57
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Shut up you.....

;D
Sat 27/07/02 at 13:56
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Hehehe.

Herc's all big headed today ;-)
Sat 27/07/02 at 13:44
Regular
Hurn wrote:
> Admit it,MGS2 was a tad disappointing.

Er.. no. MGS2 was one of the best games EVER.

> The FMV sequences were to long

It's called the skip button.

> and the plot was hard to follow at times.

I agree with you there mate, it was completely full of holes, as though it had been made up on the spot.

> Well, Konami are hard at work
> on MGS substance.For starters you get MGS:SOL (but dont worry you dont
> have to play through it all over again)but with loads of extras
> included.It will have loads of new missions including over 200 VR
> missions.You will also have new weapons including swords!And one
> mission sees you as snake on a skateboard grinding around the big
> shell.

Konami actually later admitted that these were shots taken from a new Konami Skateboarding game where snake was a secret character, and not from Substance.

I'm definitely going to get substance, I just hope there's some kind of refund for people who already have SOL.
Sat 27/07/02 at 13:33
Regular
your right I never realised how hard it was to explain i think they started doing it now because consoles can now have 5 or 6 textures on top of each other and thats maybe why nintendo did it to Zelda to show of the power of the machine.
Sat 27/07/02 at 13:31
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Righty ho, no problems, at least youve told me that you dont know what it is instead of continuing with the nonesence.

Right, I cant really explain Cel Shading, it a type of how the greaphics are. Its not 3D models with skins over the top of them, its like a flat character. Kinda like PaRappa The Rappa and like animated cartoons on TV.

Take a look at the Zelda game which is in development and even Jet Set Radio Future for the XBox. They are both cel shaded graphics.

Whereas MGS Substance is obviously going to be 3D models with skins over them and everything.

Here's some pics of cel shaded graphics thingymajigger.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters /products/0,11114,475263,00.html

(remove space)

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters /products/0,11114,469050,00.html

(remove space)

Hope that cleared it up.

Now, im off to get ready and go out.

Goodbye.
Sat 27/07/02 at 13:24
OK i have no idea what cel shading is but im just reading what it says Sorry!
Can hercules! tell me what cel shading is? PLEASE!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.