GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Conflict : Desert Storm"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/07/02 at 20:54
Regular
I have wanted this game since january and this has been my most wanted game since then (i wanted it more then Metal Gear Solid 2) and this game is going to be amazing.

Basically you take control of either four American Delta force people or four British SAS soldiers, the missions stay the same but the combat gear and the accents change.

You start off as a single soldier but your first mission involves rescuing a prisoner from the iraqi guards, this prisoner is infact the top sniper rifle guy so then he joins your quest and you have two people, eventually you will have four people in your squad and they can look after themselves.

They are gonna be the most realistic AI ever and they will protect you if you decide to go in alone (apparantly) they decide which gun they want to use in certain situations and they can think like real soldiers, one example that i have read about is that if there is a group of soldiers and you hide and decide to attack one of the other characters controlled by the computer will throw a grenade at them without you telling them to, they wont however throw the grenade at just one person because it would be a waste.

The four characters are meant to be really easy to control by just using the D - Pad to switch between the characters so you dont need to bother with any of them map thingys that the PC stratedgy games bother with.

Each character has a special role assigned to him, they are, rifleman,technician, heavy weapons man and leader. The others can do all the same jobs but the person who is aquired to do the job does it best.

Your characters build up experience points and that is why it is invaluable to not lose a character you have had for say 5 levels because he would have been an expert at shooting and keeping cool etc, but when he does get really badly injured you have 3 minutes exactly to get to him or he dies and a rookie comes in who cant shoot properly etc.

One good thing that looks good is the fact that you can get a target locked in like a tank and then you can call an air strike and watch as the F-16s fly in and blow up the target.

You can ambush people by skillfully setting your troops up and then giving them the order of "attack".
Talking of Orders there are a few, to be activated all you need to do is press L1 and then either triangle, circle or X and that will make them either, "stay back and cover you" "charge" or "follow me".

Conflict desert storm supports mulitplayer but its only two player which im happy with, you can ambush your mates etc.
Tue 13/08/02 at 20:54
Regular
September at the latest
Tue 13/08/02 at 21:14
Regular
And, the multi-player mode is alright too, you can go through all the missions with a friend, you controll 2 squad members each.
Tue 13/08/02 at 21:33
Regular
Yeh and i cant wait to try out all four squad members, i tried a little bit of tactical stuff the other day, i got my leader guy on top of a hill (just before you get the C4) and the bad guy on top of the building tried to shoot him but i just managed to hide him, i then got my sniper and took him round the corner and gave the bad guy a tasty head shot :D

Oh and OPS2 said that you can do the first few missions just all guns blazing and every thing but the last 3 0r 4 missions you need to use a strategy (there are 15 missions altogether)
Wed 14/08/02 at 13:03
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I played the demo and it's good. I wouldn't say it's the best wartime strategy game out on the market at the moment, just play Operation Flashpoint on the PC and you'll see why I think this, but it's still a bloody fun game to play.

I like the sound of the co-operative multiplayer mode very much, as there isn't really that many co-op games out there at the moment, and this is one game which perfectly suits this multiplayer option.
Thu 15/08/02 at 19:48
I have not played the demo. The demo is so wicked. I guess. I was right about the game being not real and the soldiers not eating food. CVG (computer and video games mag)said the game was a tiny little bit fake aswell. They said the soldiers dont eat food and can take lots of shots before falling. But besides that the game is totally looking awesome and i can't wait to get my copy. It would be even better if KR does not recieve his copy. How comes you are never on MSN? I like the idea of being able to quickly change between people using the four D-PAD buttons and getting them to ambush someone. BRB, going to get CVG, 1 sec. Got it, and the large amount of DOAX hot pics are distracting me. I am directly copying their short review:

Meh, its too long I'm not dooing it anymore.
Sat 17/08/02 at 00:50
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
the demo is really good i hadn't heard of this game much until i played the demo and i'm really impressed. You can creep around and kill enemies or go all guns blazing. Dunno what CVG are on about cause if you shoot a guy in the head he goes down not a problem
Sat 17/08/02 at 10:54
Regular
Yeah, and you get a stealth kill bonus if you shoot them with the silenced pistol in the head. In the demo I like to sneak up behind then guard in the pit hting next to an exploded tank and kill him with the knife.

And it's good how you can heal your other guy with the man that you are controlling...
Sat 17/08/02 at 15:11
Regular
The game rules, must get it on 28th september.

Learned loads of new stuff now on it and this is a really really cool game.

And Slow you smell :P
Sun 18/08/02 at 14:08
Regular
Completed the game many of times now and i like doing it on hard mode becuase it is hard ;)

CVG must have had it on easy mode when they played it becuase when you have to on hard mode you have as much life as the bad guys so if you get shot in the head once your dead and it only takes a few body shots to die.
Sun 18/08/02 at 14:10
Regular
And i cant wait to use Four soldiers instead of just the two, i know all the controls easily now so once you get used to them it is simple.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.