GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Conflict : Desert Storm"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/07/02 at 20:54
Regular
I have wanted this game since january and this has been my most wanted game since then (i wanted it more then Metal Gear Solid 2) and this game is going to be amazing.

Basically you take control of either four American Delta force people or four British SAS soldiers, the missions stay the same but the combat gear and the accents change.

You start off as a single soldier but your first mission involves rescuing a prisoner from the iraqi guards, this prisoner is infact the top sniper rifle guy so then he joins your quest and you have two people, eventually you will have four people in your squad and they can look after themselves.

They are gonna be the most realistic AI ever and they will protect you if you decide to go in alone (apparantly) they decide which gun they want to use in certain situations and they can think like real soldiers, one example that i have read about is that if there is a group of soldiers and you hide and decide to attack one of the other characters controlled by the computer will throw a grenade at them without you telling them to, they wont however throw the grenade at just one person because it would be a waste.

The four characters are meant to be really easy to control by just using the D - Pad to switch between the characters so you dont need to bother with any of them map thingys that the PC stratedgy games bother with.

Each character has a special role assigned to him, they are, rifleman,technician, heavy weapons man and leader. The others can do all the same jobs but the person who is aquired to do the job does it best.

Your characters build up experience points and that is why it is invaluable to not lose a character you have had for say 5 levels because he would have been an expert at shooting and keeping cool etc, but when he does get really badly injured you have 3 minutes exactly to get to him or he dies and a rookie comes in who cant shoot properly etc.

One good thing that looks good is the fact that you can get a target locked in like a tank and then you can call an air strike and watch as the F-16s fly in and blow up the target.

You can ambush people by skillfully setting your troops up and then giving them the order of "attack".
Talking of Orders there are a few, to be activated all you need to do is press L1 and then either triangle, circle or X and that will make them either, "stay back and cover you" "charge" or "follow me".

Conflict desert storm supports mulitplayer but its only two player which im happy with, you can ambush your mates etc.
Sat 21/09/02 at 15:00
Regular
Completed the game on medium today with the SAS, starting it on hard mode now.

I completed the game and kept my 4 men intact all the way along the game with out them having to send in replacements at the end of the level.

Bradley and foley lasted all the 15 levels, then you get conners on the second level so he lasted 14 levels and then you get jones on the third level and he lasted 13 levels.

The graphics and draw distance have changed dramatically from the demo so if you aint sure about buying the game then rent it out first and you will be surprised.

The handling is sorted out easily if you use the whole training section of the game whcih will show you have to do everything.

next up is conflict : Desert sabre next year :D
Fri 20/09/02 at 11:11
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Just in case, and because I'm bored waiting for something to upload to my web space, here's a few tips for anyone who hasn't realised them yet, these are all general ones, not level specific, but they do work well;

*Never take control of just one guy and try to do a "Rambo", you'll just end up with one guy down too far away for your team to reach to help him.

*The team of four works best when the squad splits into pairs, I use the heavy weapons and commader together, sniper and steal together. This gives each two man team one "stand and fire" weapon and a "move and fire weapon". Also allows the teams to move closer to the enemy faster as the move and fire guy can cover the stand and fire one.

*Try to always fire from standing still, if you're taking too much fire to make this possible then you're in a bad position, move !

*Close on the enemy. Most levels have a neverending flow of Iraqi's, the only way to stop them is to reach the point they enter, get close enough and the flow stops, if you just sit back and fire you'll get nowhere and run out of ammo.

*BMPS can take on AT weapon hit from any angle, tanks 1 hit from the rear, 2 at the sides, 3 on front. C4 charges will take either out in one hit.

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 20/09/02 at 10:55
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Finished the nuke level, next mission is getting inside a massive castle to kill Iraiq supreme commander to end the war.....looks suspiciouly like Mr Hussein if you ask me.... Anyway you get the full team back and have to move down a river bed, if the alarm is raised th Iraqi's send and armoured column at you - 2 BMPs and one T72...and you get massacred 'cause there is no cover, also watch out for snipers on the ridges either side ! Oh, and get moving to because you won't have cover of darkness for long !

And yes, it's a brilliant game as long as you like military shooters and can forgive a few faults, like rubbish vehicle handling:)

~~Belldandy~~
Thu 19/09/02 at 22:47
Regular
"WWJD"
So it's a good game then
Thu 19/09/02 at 20:20
Regular
yeh i am on that one, got up to the nuke and then loads and loads of guards come, its level 13 i think, gonna do it on hard mode next, i did it on medium now.
Thu 19/09/02 at 09:41
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Yeah, POWS one. I'm one Ground Zero pt2 now, getting to the nuke and disarming it...so far my tem hasn't made it alive any further than the gatehouse.... lol :)

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 18/09/02 at 20:35
Regular
yeh done that one, i think. you have to collect the POW people? i have done that one. Or is it the one where that guy has to blow up the weapons of mass destructions when you dont have control of Jones it is some one else?
Wed 18/09/02 at 11:21
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Is anyone on, or got past the Baghdad prison level ? So far my team keep running out of ammo and there seems no way of not raising the alarm at the prison...

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 17/09/02 at 18:19
Regular
Im on level 10 now, doing it on medium mode and will probably start hard mode after. good game and glad i got it :D
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:09
Regular
THey give them selves medical stuff so when they die then you have to help them.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.