GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's happening here?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/07/02 at 18:36
Regular
I don't know about you but it seems like everytime I come on these chatforums it just isn't as fun anymore. That is in no way due to the staff who have provided an excellent forum for us. Nor is it down to most of the people on this site.

Because my internet access is free after 6 o' clock, I used to wait in anticpation for 6 so I could come on the forums and read what people had written, whether it be an entertaining spoof, thought-provoking topic on games or even mindless silliness, which in moderation, is fun.

Now I come on and I can hardly recognise the place. I still visit the site often, but I have less enthusiasm. Just to re-iterate what I said earlier, this is in no-way down to the staff. The dynamics just seem to have changed. Everyday I see JATs who were banned yesterday re-sign with another stupid name committing the same crimes and writing the same crap. In the past when people were banned it was a shameful occurence, but people just seem to openly admit they were banned and go on to commit the same offences. And with each growing day there seems to be more and more. For people who are JATs and genuinely interested in joining and having fun it is becoming harder and harder to fit in, because people are so cynical and suspicious (which in the current climate is understandable). No wonder Tony was wondering why such a small percentage of visitors to teh site actually join.

Maybe I'm not the person that should be saying this. I'm only a regular and have been here considerably less than some well established regulars, and of course, the notables. But as someone who is proud to be part of these forums, I am disheartened and disappointed to see FOG chat pale in comparison to its former self as each day passes. Make of this what you will - agree or disagree, this is what I feel.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:27
Quinty wrote:
> The thing is, this forum at the moment could be named "The newbie
> forum" because recently when i look up and down the board, out of
> the 40 odd topics i probably recognise about 10 names. Thats poor.

This to me is a very valid point, and this is the reason why I tend to post loads of topics in Prime, because Chat is full of so much crap these days, totally irrelevant to gaming. Of course, I can shrug off the occasional comment from a trusted member, and I welcome jokes here, but I seriously think that this should be the Newbie Forum (for N00bs and JATs), and Prime should be for Regs/Notables. It does have it's disadvantages for the rare decent Newbie/JAT like Rosalind or ShadowDragon.

Anyone agree here?
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:27
Regular
"You've upset me"
Hohum.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:23
Regular
"everyone says it"
Life is what you make of it.
The forums are what you make of them.

Its up to you completely.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:20
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Rosalind wrote:
> To RM18...
>
> As a newbie I would just like to say that it is quite hard to know how
> to behave on the forums. I made sure that I read some other peoples
> posts before I made any of my own, and I sort of hung aroung a bit
> saying the odd thing here and then. After 57 days here I am finally
> feeling as if I might be able to fit in.

----

Yeah, sometimes fitting in here can take a while. If you don't make an immediately good impression on here then you tend to get slated off the regulars and notables. It can be hard to fit in if you've made a few spammy topics on your first day, as people might not even look at your topic if they think you're still that same old spammer.

----

> Your Post makes me feel really guilty for all the times I have made
> short replies to people and replied to spammy topics....It is shame
> that there isn't a set of rules for newbies to follow. I for one find
> it really hard to know whether i am spamming or annoying people or
> not. I have looked for a set of rules like these but I haven't really
> found anything which tells me how I should be behaving.

----

Yeah, it's nice to see that you've actually looked for some rules, but unfortunetly, there aren't any telling newbies much about the site. There are some at the main page when you scroll down, but they don't really explain much, and are only really talking about one forum in particular, and that's the FOG Prime forum.

----

> So now I have a comflict should I change my behaviour on the forums,
> but have a lot less fun, should I carry on the way I have been and
> risk annoying people, or should I stop coming here and lose something
> that I have really begun to enjoy.

----

If you're enjoying it here, then stay, and if you're not, don't It as simple as that. If you think you're annoying someone, you could wait and see if they react in any way, and if they don;t then you're obviously not annoying them.

----

> Any advice/Feedback from you Regulars and Notables would be highly
> appreciated.

----

No problem. :-)
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:16
Rosalind wrote:
>>
> As a newbie I would just like to say that it is quite hard to know how
> to behave on the forums. I made sure that I read some other peoples
> posts before I made any of my own, and I sort of hung aroung a bit
> saying the odd thing here and then. After 57 days here I am finally
> feeling as if I might be able to fit in.

You are doing fine Ros you join in the fun and Ive never seen you spam.

> Your Post makes me feel really guilty for all the times I have made
> short replies to people and replied to spammy topics....It is shame
> that there isn't a set of rules for newbies to follow. I for one find
> it really hard to know whether i am spamming or annoying people or
> not. I have looked for a set of rules like these but I haven't really
> found anything which tells me how I should be behaving.

Its only aimed at the ones that truley spam and quit often they are people who have been banned and come back again trouble is everyone seems to do it now and then but its within the context to

> So now I have a comflict should I change my behaviour on the forums,
> but have a lot less fun, should I carry on the way I have been and
> risk annoying people, or should I stop coming here and lose something
> that I have really begun to enjoy.

No just enjoy it you will learn from time and experiance

>
> Any advice/Feedback from you Regulars and Notables would be highly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Ros.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:14
Regular
I'm sorry if what I wrote made you feel that way, that wasn't my intention. I too have posted short replies, I'm not saying you should write at least 300 words in each reply. What I was criticising was the people that come on here, write short, crappy topics, get banned then just re-offend. I'm talking about people like J Savo, Sly weasel, those type of guys.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:10
Regular
"Orbiting Uranus"
To RM18...

As a newbie I would just like to say that it is quite hard to know how to behave on the forums. I made sure that I read some other peoples posts before I made any of my own, and I sort of hung aroung a bit saying the odd thing here and then. After 57 days here I am finally feeling as if I might be able to fit in.

Your Post makes me feel really guilty for all the times I have made short replies to people and replied to spammy topics....It is shame that there isn't a set of rules for newbies to follow. I for one find it really hard to know whether i am spamming or annoying people or not. I have looked for a set of rules like these but I haven't really found anything which tells me how I should be behaving.

So now I have a comflict should I change my behaviour on the forums, but have a lot less fun, should I carry on the way I have been and risk annoying people, or should I stop coming here and lose something that I have really begun to enjoy.

Any advice/Feedback from you Regulars and Notables would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ros.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:09
Regular
Well, firstly when i joined about 6 months ago, the place was really quiet, and unlike those newbs who come on and straightaway do a topic, i, like Kerrang hung back a bit and waited to see hwat goes down well and what doesnt, and volia! Im still here.

But i think the problem is we stereotypicalise Newbies too much. I mean okay, have a pop at the idiot who does 9 topics in a day, but you will get the odd decent nOOB who is a good contributor who still gets bashed simply because of the little line under his name. Because we do this less and less people are lasting until the transition between newb to regular, and perhaps is a direct answer to Tony's query the other day about why less and less people are coming on.

The thing is, this forum at the moment could be named "The newbie forum" because recently when i look up and down the board, out of the 40 odd topics i probably recognise about 10 names. Thats poor.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:00
I have recently returned, but I see no reason to stay as their are no topics which I value to cme back and look at again.
Fri 19/07/02 at 18:57
I have done a couple of odd posts in the films,music,blah section but its not so bad there either

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.