GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's happening here?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/07/02 at 18:36
Regular
I don't know about you but it seems like everytime I come on these chatforums it just isn't as fun anymore. That is in no way due to the staff who have provided an excellent forum for us. Nor is it down to most of the people on this site.

Because my internet access is free after 6 o' clock, I used to wait in anticpation for 6 so I could come on the forums and read what people had written, whether it be an entertaining spoof, thought-provoking topic on games or even mindless silliness, which in moderation, is fun.

Now I come on and I can hardly recognise the place. I still visit the site often, but I have less enthusiasm. Just to re-iterate what I said earlier, this is in no-way down to the staff. The dynamics just seem to have changed. Everyday I see JATs who were banned yesterday re-sign with another stupid name committing the same crimes and writing the same crap. In the past when people were banned it was a shameful occurence, but people just seem to openly admit they were banned and go on to commit the same offences. And with each growing day there seems to be more and more. For people who are JATs and genuinely interested in joining and having fun it is becoming harder and harder to fit in, because people are so cynical and suspicious (which in the current climate is understandable). No wonder Tony was wondering why such a small percentage of visitors to teh site actually join.

Maybe I'm not the person that should be saying this. I'm only a regular and have been here considerably less than some well established regulars, and of course, the notables. But as someone who is proud to be part of these forums, I am disheartened and disappointed to see FOG chat pale in comparison to its former self as each day passes. Make of this what you will - agree or disagree, this is what I feel.
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:06
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Ok thanks Belldandy.

That may have seemed like a stupid question, its obvious now that I look at it.
But im just looking around the forums tonight and asking some questions because now that im a regular (although I shouldnt be just quite yet.) I would like to know more about the forums.

Thanks again.

;)
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:04
Regular
"That's right!"
Everyone here was a newbie once (except maybe Stryke, I think he paid the staff to make him a regular immediatly) Did any of us spam etc? Well, the truth is... yes

I've seen more than a couple of law abiding regulars who used to spam and annoy

But can you blame them? They see this site where they can win free games, they think they'll get respect for having a high word or post count, and they want to get to know people so they start a lot of topics. Then the newbie bashing starts. It's not really because they're newbies, it's because of what they've done. I, for one, stayed clear of the forums for ages, then finally began posting by just replying to topics. I got to know some people, then I began spoofing stuff. Some people don't go for that approach, and instead begin starting topics as soon as they arrive, usually pointless ones.

When newbies learn the norms and values of the forums, they usually conform, or leave to never be seen again (or are banned) So just give them a chance, don't take your frustration out on them, they don't know any better. OK, the sociological side of MoJo is emerging here, I'd better shut it up
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:03
Maybe we should have a forum for regulars and those guys in the gold ;0)
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:59
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
er-no wrote:
> Life is what you make of it.
> The forums are what you make of them.
>
> Its up to you completely.

The No has spoken.

The no gettit? The know?

Oh alright then. True words though.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:57
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Cartel Thug wrote:
> JAT's?
>
> what does that stand for?
>
> thanks.

JAT's = Just Arrived Today's - people who have only just reigstered on the forums.

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:55
Regular
No offense taken - I'm happy to provoke a thoughtful debate than a rash of 'u r a gimp' replies that I have seen in the past.

I realise I may have been generalising, but to be honest that was because I didn't really want to name specific individuals (they know who they are anyway). I made reference to the fact that it is hard for genuine users to obtain any credibilty because of the initial reaction they get, and I also concur with you opinion about certain regulars. I understand your point of view, and to be honest I feel your comments are entirely justified.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:52
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
JAT's?

what does that stand for?

thanks.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:51
"Stupid Newbie :D"
**Kerrang!** wrote:
> When I first came to the forums I did not post anything for a little
> while, just read a few topics. If only the newbie's and Just arrived
> users did this.

Thats all fine in theory, but the truth is that in practice, it makes no difference whatsoever to the few regulars who are insular and cast about stereotypes like wildfire. Quick example for you:

Pointless Babble
"SOS"
User Type: Newbie

I'd say that is slightly more than holding back for a short while before posting, especially if you take into account I've only started contributing recently, yet does it make much difference? The answer is no, because while there are the good few regulars who don't judge a book by its cover, there are an equally large number of them who are completely self-involved and will instantly assume anyone with JAT or Newbie under their name cannot possibly be ok.

The first post I made on returning to UKChatForums, was a timeline/history of Nintendo's development over the last 100 or so years, now thats both informative, original, and relevant to the forum. I even had around 7 replies from people saying they enjoyed it, and found it a really interesting read, these are the decent regulars. But then I also had 2-3 complete insular gimps appear on the thread... you see, its apparently completely impossible for any newbie to be smarter than them, be able to post anything original, or God forbid anything interesting - they were jealous, nothing else, and you could tell by the fact they didn't reply after their questions were answered. These 2-3 idiots were trying to imply that it MUST be copied or stolen, because theres no way a newbie can post something like that, I pointed out its all my own work and if they'd like to check it word for word to see if its copied they can be my guest; they'd only find it was original, and no duplicate existed elsewhere. Did they reply to this? No. Because all they were interested in doing, was making the one post suggesting it was a rip off to discredit the topic, then leaving - they never intended to read it a second time for a reply.

So my point is simply this: While there may at present be a large number of nuisance posters, who get banned then return and repeat, and the others who will post junk threads like "Gamecube owns and everything else sucks" - it is in NO way a reflection of every new user who registers. On the flipside of this, while the regulars and notables have their fair share of complete self-involved morons, its in no way a reflection of how they all are. But what it does mean, is that people who are about to criticise the behaviour of one of the two groups, should take a few moments to think about what it is they're saying, and how it might apply to themselves too. Nobody likes a hypocrite.

I realise you don't mean any offense to anyone with this topic RM, but regardless of how well you mean, its still only proliferating the divide and stereotypes - because it only addresses the new users as being the cause for the community's current state, when the few arrogant regulars are just as much to blame, for spreading the bad blood.
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:45
Lawless Fever wrote:
> This to me is a very valid point, and this is the reason why I tend to
> post loads of topics in Prime, because Chat is full of so much crap
> these days, totally irrelevant to gaming. Of course, I can shrug off
> the occasional comment from a trusted member, and I welcome jokes
> here, but I seriously think that this should be the Newbie Forum (for
> N00bs and JATs), and Prime should be for Regs/Notables. It does have
> it's disadvantages for the rare decent Newbie/JAT like Rosalind or
> ShadowDragon.

This is why I want to make the transition into a regular quicker. I'd like to be able to post my topics into Prime because I could then avoid the newbie topics and have a few more responses from like-minded people. Thanks for the mention LF. =oD

SD
Fri 19/07/02 at 19:38
Quinty wrote:
> But i think the problem is we stereotypicalise Newbies too much. I
> mean okay, have a pop at the idiot who does 9 topics in a day, but you
> will get the odd decent nOOB who is a good contributor who still gets
> bashed simply because of the little line under his name. Because we do
> this less and less people are lasting until the transition between
> newb to regular, and perhaps is a direct answer to Tony's query the
> other day about why less and less people are coming on.

I am still a newbie, and I was stereotyped when I came onto the forums. Since then, though, people have realised that I don't spam. I've only written about 4 or 5 topics on this forum since I've arrived, and I have been told that I'm a good contributor. The fact that "n00bs" are stereotyped has made me want to make that transition a lot quicker.

> The thing is, this forum at the moment could be named "The newbie
> forum" because recently when i look up and down the board, out of
> the 40 odd topics i probably recognise about 10 names. Thats poor.

I stick to my original suggestion. How about if newbies were sent to a web page during their registration which tells them what is, and what isn't, wanted in the forums? However, it wouldn't be like when you have to accept the lisence agreements on computer programs. You know when you fill a form in online and you sometimes have to tick a box? Well, these could be placed next to all of the different rules. Only if you tick all of the boxes, can you start posting. It might be annoying, but you'd only have to do it once and it would stop those spammers that aren't wanted in the forums.

SD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.