GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's happening here?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/07/02 at 18:36
Regular
I don't know about you but it seems like everytime I come on these chatforums it just isn't as fun anymore. That is in no way due to the staff who have provided an excellent forum for us. Nor is it down to most of the people on this site.

Because my internet access is free after 6 o' clock, I used to wait in anticpation for 6 so I could come on the forums and read what people had written, whether it be an entertaining spoof, thought-provoking topic on games or even mindless silliness, which in moderation, is fun.

Now I come on and I can hardly recognise the place. I still visit the site often, but I have less enthusiasm. Just to re-iterate what I said earlier, this is in no-way down to the staff. The dynamics just seem to have changed. Everyday I see JATs who were banned yesterday re-sign with another stupid name committing the same crimes and writing the same crap. In the past when people were banned it was a shameful occurence, but people just seem to openly admit they were banned and go on to commit the same offences. And with each growing day there seems to be more and more. For people who are JATs and genuinely interested in joining and having fun it is becoming harder and harder to fit in, because people are so cynical and suspicious (which in the current climate is understandable). No wonder Tony was wondering why such a small percentage of visitors to teh site actually join.

Maybe I'm not the person that should be saying this. I'm only a regular and have been here considerably less than some well established regulars, and of course, the notables. But as someone who is proud to be part of these forums, I am disheartened and disappointed to see FOG chat pale in comparison to its former self as each day passes. Make of this what you will - agree or disagree, this is what I feel.
Fri 19/07/02 at 21:04
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Belldandy wrote:
> Take for instance; Console Wars topics - Some of these have been well
> written and I don't notice a big SR sign saying no Console War topics
> allowed,

I dunno man, I think you'll have a hard time trying to get anyone to agre with you here...

I know everyone has posted a console wars topic and one time or another, its just been done to nausia...

I seem remember people were tired of them when I first started posting here, and they've only become more frequent since...

There was even a time when they created a console warz forum, although newbies and JATS ignored it and posted their console wars topics in FOG chat anyway...

Any Topic Involving America - If you're not feverently anti
> USA then don't waste your time typing a response, no one's bothered.
> In general; posts with made up facts - don't bother saying so to the
> poster or his / her supporters, no ones bothered 'cause it makes them
> right.

Its just seems you come at the wrong time of the month... if you come back next week everyone will be telling you how America is the saviour of mankind... its always entertaining to see how much effort a lot of the younger/teenage posters spend in loving or loathing the states...
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:37
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Thats all fine and dandy Lawless, but look at the criteria for GAD:

"WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR IN A WINNING GAMEADAY POST
You must post the best submission of the day to win this prize - this means your post must be original, eye-catching and engaging. What we're looking for is something that other people want to read, not something that is long, over-complicated and generally boring. Funny topics are usually a good bet, or topics that haven't been touched on before. Think hard before you post, people won't read what you've done if it isn't clear and concise."

While you did pick up on the whole "best submission of the day", you neglected to note the "this means your post must be..." part. My point is this, spoofs are posted every day, and are the exact same thing each time:

Take well known Game A, add parts of well known TV Programme/Location/Name B, to produce Game C (Spoof). Enter Game C as a post, while inventing press release D, or industry comment E... rinse, repeat, win GAD.

Now if these things are the same thing with rearranged details, and are posted every single day, how does that constitute something "original, eye-catching and engaging" or "haven't been touched on before"? Because even you can't deny that after you've seen the same thing, over and over and over, it isn't eye-catching or engaging anymore - its actually quite dull and irritating.

Now do you see what I'm getting at?
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:32
Belldandy wrote:
> PS: I think SR should give Pointless Babble the GAD today for posting
> what we all know is true :P

LoL... I prefer to earn my keep, but thanks for the vote of confidence. ;)
If I want to win GAD, I'll grit my teeth and post a spoof like every other generic poster, it was a spoof that beat my Ninty post... not that I'm bitter about it or anything. *grins*
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:31
Me, being a GAD winner for one of my spoofs, might be able to help you out here on this rather simple premise. The GAD rules say that *any* contribution can win you a GAD (as long as it's the best of the day, of course), so why not? MoJo puts a helluva lot of effort into each and every spoof, and so I strongly preach that he deserves every GAD he gets for these spoofs. If you don't like it, write something better, or leave the forums - it's simple.

I'm not having a go, but merely making a point.
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:30
Actually, I won a GAD for something other than a spoof. I've only seen 2 spoofs win. But, as I've said before, I've only been here less than 2 weeks.

SD
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:27
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Pointless Babble wrote:
>As it seems to me, that despite
> the whole idea of spoofed games being completely contrary to the GAD
> criteria, they're always the winning topics. Now I can think up a ton
> of funny spoofs in around 10mins, they're not that hard to produce, so
> why are they seen as the holy grail here?

Great ! This totally proves what I, and others before me , have said on tis topic. Pointless Babble is a newbie, but he's hit directly one of the reasons why there are so few interesting topics created and discussed - we all know GAD winners will be "Funny satire of this game/company" mostof the time so why bother doing anything else because, even if you don't care about GAD, a majority won't bother with it anyway - if the topic doesnt fall into one of a minority's pre chosen "you can't say that here" topics...

~~Belldandy~~

PS: I think SR should give Pointless Babble the GAD today for posting what we all know is true :P
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:23
Btw Bell, I agree with a fair deal of what you've said, although you are being a bit harsh. Its ok for them to double check the topics aren't copied, but when the sole reason they're doing it is out of jealousy, or they only want to suggest the thing is copied (despite it not being) because it immediately discredits a topic - then they've gone too far.

Again, it isn't a case of one group being entirely to blame, but rather a number of individuals from each, being the cause of the problems.
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:19
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> I, for one, stayed
> clear of the forums for ages, then finally began posting by just
> replying to topics. I got to know some people, then I began spoofing
> stuff.

See, now this is something I don't get... I'm not having a go at you, but would someone mind explaining to me exactly what is original, not previously posted etc. about a spoof? As it seems to me, that despite the whole idea of spoofed games being completely contrary to the GAD criteria, they're always the winning topics. Now I can think up a ton of funny spoofs in around 10mins, they're not that hard to produce, so why are they seen as the holy grail here?

I'm sure you could've done that from day one if you chose, yet the way you've posted it makes it sound as if you're only given the right to challenge the other regulars' spoofs after being there for ages, someone care to explain?
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I think the problem isn't anything to do with newbies, or JAT's - it's a small minority of regulars (and above...) who've taken it upon themselves to judge what topics they do and do not want to see on their particular favourite forum. A larger number of people post forum topics then refuse to see any other point of view other than the one they began with.

The popularity of these few means many just join in with the critiscism anyway, hoping to win popularity for the vain hope of becoming a notable - which pretty much means little anyway.

Take for instance; Console Wars topics - Some of these have been well written and I don't notice a big SR sign saying no Console War topics allowed, Any Topic Involving America - If you're not feverently anti USA then don't waste your time typing a response, no one's bothered. In general; posts with made up facts - don't bother saying so to the poster or his / her supporters, no ones bothered 'cause it makes them right.

What I'm getting at is the forums are to DISCUSS topics, whatever they are. It doesn't matter how long you've been here - only SR staff are the ones who should be dictating what topics are on here and not a small minority.

If you don't want to listen to another point of view then don't post a topic, just slap yoursellf on the back or something.....

Lastly...on copied reviews/articles...on another topic elsewhere on these forums several people have said they check articles by putting first sentences into Google, Lycos e.t.c. What is wrong with you people ??? SR already check potential gameaday stuff for plaigarism anyway so leave it to them and add something worthwhile to the forums instead of the " Oi you cheater" posts. They're boring...a bit like these forums at the moment in fact......

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 19/07/02 at 20:07
Regular
"ProGolfer"
er-no wrote:
> Life is what you make of it.
> The forums are what you make of them.
>
> Its up to you completely.

I am completly sure i heard somthing like that from a movie once.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.