GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DVD vs VHS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 19/07/02 at 15:56
Regular
Which is better really there is no contest but i'm just interested in who's modern (21st century) or the old fasioned (20th century).
Mon 22/07/02 at 22:37
Regular
"Nickelback RULE!!!!"
So what's the question?
Mon 22/07/02 at 18:53
Regular
"['....']"
DVD?
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:25
Regular
"Nickelback RULE!!!!"
Dave RJR wrote:
> I would rather have a system that can playback & record, even if
> it means lower quality.

I agree though i have got a recordable DVD.
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:22
Regular
All i said was to say which was better DVD or VHS. Not why we should buy a DVD and faults etc

Yea but assuming you don't have a skip full of money for a recordable DVD, which would you buy.

DVD - not recordable - but high quality
VHS - Recordable - but low quality

I would rather have a system that can playback & record, even if it means lower quality.
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:19
Regular
I think the writing is on the wall for VHS maybe not in 2 or 3 years, but it will come with the price drops that are inevitable in terms of DVD hardware and the technology will only get better with new generations of DVD recorders that use blue laser and higher density compression technics. You have to remember back to when DVD players first came out and everyone said they wouldn't take off now they are the biggest selling format ever.
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:14
Regular
"Nickelback RULE!!!!"
Dave RJR wrote:
> Lots of DVD players (and CD players) will not playback CD's with MP3
> music on them. Lots of DVD and CD players also have trouble with CDRW
> discs. But at least these features are not just reserved for the most
> expensive machines. Some cheaper machines can play these discs - check
> b4 u buy!
>
> I can't see much point in putting a digital tv tuner in a DVD player.
> You can't record onto the DVD, so u still need a VHS machine. I
> suppose it does away with 1 extra box - but thats about it.

All i said was to say which was better DVD or VHS. Not why we shold buy a DVD and fults etc.
Mon 22/07/02 at 12:00
Regular
Lots of DVD players (and CD players) will not playback CD's with MP3 music on them. Lots of DVD and CD players also have trouble with CDRW discs. But at least these features are not just reserved for the most expensive machines. Some cheaper machines can play these discs - check b4 u buy!

I can't see much point in putting a digital tv tuner in a DVD player. You can't record onto the DVD, so u still need a VHS machine. I suppose it does away with 1 extra box - but thats about it.
Mon 22/07/02 at 11:50
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I thought ALL DVD players played: DVD movies, CDs and CDs with MP3s on them. I don't see how you'll be able to recieve digital TV through an aerial though, should be intresting unless it's just decodes it, in which case, you can already do that.
Mon 22/07/02 at 11:37
Regular
Grundig are planning a DVD player with DTT tuner. So you can play DVD movies, CD's and CD's with MP3 tracks on them. Plus it can pick up digital tv through an aerial. However, it does NOT record. Should cost about £230

Philips are introducing a DVD recorder (no tuner on this one). Expected to be about £500 - the cheapest DVD recorder so far?
Sat 20/07/02 at 19:19
Regular
"Nickelback RULE!!!!"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> smoking guns wrote:
> You realy are serious about winning GAD's arn't you.
>
> --------
>
> You really are serious about upping your word count, aren't you?

I don't need to ive all ready wrote 10 000 words i'm just waiting for the days to go by.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.