GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The price of PC gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/07/02 at 12:34
Regular
Anyone who can afford to play PC games is priveliged, because the price of gaming on a PC is never worth it. I have GTA3 on my PS2 and I here it is now out for PC the only problem you need a 750Mhz P3 to run it, my laptop could not handle that and for a game that is visually ok, but nothing special that is a lot of spec required. Then there are graphic card updates that you need which can cost as much as a Next Gen console, and the hassle of setting the game up for running on your PC. No I'm affraid my pc days have long gone unless I bought an Xbox I suppose.
Thu 11/07/02 at 17:21
Regular
eeek, i would struggle to do my job on a 17" monitor. Even 19" is only just about right. Someone here has a 21" screen! The only 14/15'" style screen is on our server.
Thu 11/07/02 at 17:13
Regular
Not just graphics that slow up when the pc is not up to the job. Movement also stalls a lot.
Thu 11/07/02 at 17:11
Regular
384Mb Ram? Try running XP (you need 128Mb Ram just to boot XP with all the bits installed). Then install the latest versions of PhotoShop, Freehand, CorelDraw, illustrator, Word, IE, Quark. Now dont forget the bits like compression software, email, Acrobat Reader. Now try running a few together. S L O W. And thats even if you dont get a memory warning or whatever. Even if you can put up with that hassle, when you next upgrade any of that lot, 512Mb would be the only way anyway. U bet my ps2 couldn't handle that lot, but at games it's just easier.
Thu 11/07/02 at 17:04
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Techno freak wrote:

> I have done that before on an older PC and it does work as long as you
> turn some of the detail off like trees in the background less
> texturing and objects on the verge. Sounds like fun or you could
> just buy a proper console which is optimised for the game.

You often put graphics ahead of game play? I don't mind turning the detail down as it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. Consoles have a limit to what they can do, there's only so much that can be sqeezed from a console power, before it begins to look average.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Dave RJR wrote:
> big hard drive,

Ive had a 20 GB hard drive for over a year now, its not even half full.

> 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 92 monitor (minimum)

Minimum?!? I think you mean maximum mate.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:59
Regular
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Techno freak wrote:
> I have though about that and I wonder how many can play GTA3? do
> they
> all own computers with 750Mhz P3's inside.
>
> trust me, you do not need a 750mhz pc to play that game. I've seen it
> done on a 500mhz pc, the technology for which is older than the PS2,
> and you can pick up a PC of that spec for somewhere around £250
> on eBay.

I have done that before on an older PC and it does work as long as you turn some of the detail off like trees in the background less texturing and objects on the verge. Sounds like fun or you could just buy a proper console which is optimised for the game.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:58
"Darkness, always"
Dave RJR wrote:
> Yep, basic stuff works over 56k, but not the kinda stuff Microsoft and
> Sony wan't us to use over broadband. Well, even if it did work on 56k,
> you would need a good book to read while u wait for it.
>
> Just going out to buy my new Vinyl record player.......

Thankyou for pointing out that it is the console companies trying to make you get your wallet out here. I love watching you contradict yourself.

As for vinyl record players, I personally recommend either the industry standard Technics 1210s or for a little taste the one of the better Vestax players. The 1210s go for around £300 each, while you'll be lucky to pick up a Vestax for under £450.

Personally I have a pair of Gemini PT2000s, and they do the job pretty much as well as the 1210s do, add a decent mixer, and you're away.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:55
"Darkness, always"
Dave RJR wrote:
> PIII 866Mhz with 17" monitor! Thats old now.

But it still beats the crap out of the PS2 mate.

> If i did get another
> pc, right now it would be at least a P4/2.0Ghz with 512Mb Ram - u need
> it for quality graphics software under XP,

No you don't. I have an 866 with 384mb ram, and I can handle anything available.

> big hard drive, 10/100/GB
> Ethernet card, CD/DVD, 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 92 monitor
> (minimum),

15" is the standard people work to, and even 17" is the largest any large firm will claim to be the standard size. 19" is a massive luxury, and would laugh at anything you can ever see on TV.

> USB ports (2), Firwire port, expansion for at least 3 full
> size PCI cards, expansion for at least 1.0Gb Ram, a couple of spare
> drive bays, Ultra Wide SCSI connections for speed - then a sound
> system as well - and thats not made up! AND a P5 will probably get
> relaunched by the time you have seen this text!

What's your point? Again, PCs aren't nearly as expensive as you think if you know where to buy them.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:53
Regular
Yep, basic stuff works over 56k, but not the kinda stuff Microsoft and Sony wan't us to use over broadband. Well, even if it did work on 56k, you would need a good book to read while u wait for it.

Just going out to buy my new Vinyl record player.......
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:52
"Darkness, always"
Techno freak wrote:
> I have though about that and I wonder how many can play GTA3? do they
> all own computers with 750Mhz P3's inside.

trust me, you do not need a 750mhz pc to play that game. I've seen it done on a 500mhz pc, the technology for which is older than the PS2, and you can pick up a PC of that spec for somewhere around £250 on eBay.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.