GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The price of PC gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/07/02 at 12:34
Regular
Anyone who can afford to play PC games is priveliged, because the price of gaming on a PC is never worth it. I have GTA3 on my PS2 and I here it is now out for PC the only problem you need a 750Mhz P3 to run it, my laptop could not handle that and for a game that is visually ok, but nothing special that is a lot of spec required. Then there are graphic card updates that you need which can cost as much as a Next Gen console, and the hassle of setting the game up for running on your PC. No I'm affraid my pc days have long gone unless I bought an Xbox I suppose.
Thu 11/07/02 at 12:34
Regular
Anyone who can afford to play PC games is priveliged, because the price of gaming on a PC is never worth it. I have GTA3 on my PS2 and I here it is now out for PC the only problem you need a 750Mhz P3 to run it, my laptop could not handle that and for a game that is visually ok, but nothing special that is a lot of spec required. Then there are graphic card updates that you need which can cost as much as a Next Gen console, and the hassle of setting the game up for running on your PC. No I'm affraid my pc days have long gone unless I bought an Xbox I suppose.
Thu 11/07/02 at 13:00
Regular
Another big problem with PC gaming is that because it is a minority market all the good games come out on consoles. Not only that a game that does sell well on a PC might sell a million in one year, however a game like FF10 on ps2 has sold 4.5million in the same period and infact 1million in its first week in Japan.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:14
"Darkness, always"
of course, you completely ignore the fact that console conversions which come out on PC are generally of superior spec.

PC gaming is a completely different market in most respects, and while it may be expensive to have a decent PC, a PC isn't JUST for gaming, it has 1001 uses, unlike a console, nevermind the fact that PC games are invariably cheaper than console games.

PC gaming is in it's prime, and actually leads the market in terms of graphics, sound, and genres. PC's are the testing ground for the technology consoles are eventually made out of.

Sure, your PS2 can do such and such, but PCs have been able to match that spec for a few years now, certainly long before the PS2 was even released.

And if your PS2 is so clever, try running a recent version of championship manager on it with all the leagues going. heh. watch your wonder machine fall apart at the seams.

The PS2 is so cheap because it's technology is so old, it's that simple. I don't mind if people like you don't keep up with PC gaming. PC gamers are the elite, we are those who dare, we take the risks that lead to the benefits you enjoy.

Show a little respect, without a PC market, the console market would very quickly become as stale as two week old bread left open on the kitchen side.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:22
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Yes but PC gaming is at the high quality end of the spectrum. Also as the market is more competitive you can pick up more top quality games at lower prices than you would on a console.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:25
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> Yes but PC gaming is at the high quality end of the spectrum. Also as
> the market is more competitive you can pick up more top quality games
> at lower prices than you would on a console.

I suppose it is more competitive when you are feeding off scraps
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:25
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Christ Techno freak, You've moaned about just about every console on the market, now youre having a go at the PC. Give it a rest will you, it's getting annoying, especially when you seemed deprived of the facts for all these arguements.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:31
Regular
tut tut tut. The PC games market is dead! I use a computer for my work-no problem. But to play games? Never! The reasons are...

a: To expensive to buy
b: To expensive to keep up to date\and u need to do this!
c: Gives me a headache when new hardware or software breaks what i already have installed.
d: Only a few games worth the hassle (ie, the SIMS) - and that is going on to ps2 anyway - and it's not a straight port for a change.
e: I don't yet have a 24 inch wide screen monitor for my pc.
f: Even in top condition, it can still crash\and does.
g: New third party software may require faster chip/more ram, and/or newer version of Windows. Then some new versions of Windows wont work with some (a lot) of older third party software.
h: The only reason i keep my home pc is for internet use - bring on some next get Net boxes for my tv - and i can't chuck this junk out the window (Win ME by the way) forever.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:31
"Darkness, always"
Techno freak wrote:
> I suppose it is more competitive when you are feeding off scraps

feeding off scraps?

Where is your version of WarCraft III?
Where is your NeverWinter Nights?
Where is your IceWind Dale II
Where is your online gaming community?
Where is your office products?
Where is your mp3 creator?
Where is your web authoring tools?
Where is your image design tools?
Where are they?
Nowhere, because as things stand your market can't handle them.

Don't be so magnificently ignorant. Try to remember also that ANY game that comes out on ANY console can be ours via fair means or foul.

We can have anything we want, while you have to take what you're given.

Quiet yourself little man.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> We can have anything we want, while you have to take what you're
> given.

Nicely said.
Thu 11/07/02 at 16:38
Regular
The reason many of the PC games are cheaper is because they are desperate just to sell them.

Anyway at least David RJR has seen the light.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.