GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What can the X-Box actually do??????"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/07/02 at 00:33
Regular
Ok its a console made by microsoft and the first, so we can give it a chance but does it have what it takes to compete with all the other consoles?
Fri 12/07/02 at 12:42
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Send me a cheque for £20 with your address and you can have mine
> - unused and unopened. If your not sure if I can be trusted, ask YH -
> he bought SSX off of me when he had his PS2.

I did indeed by SSX off Wookiee, and I can say that I would buy stuff off him again - he's completely reliable.

As for Amped, it's a really good game - once you get into it. I borrowed it off a mate for a weekend, and at first I absolutely hated it, but I stuck with it, and after an hour or so I was really into it.

Bewarned though, it does get quite difficult quite quickly. But if you can put the time in, it's a great single player game. The multiplayer is a bit rubbish because unless your mates have played it a lot before, you'll easily whip them.
Fri 12/07/02 at 12:20
Regular
"accidental superher"
the xbox in my opinion has sorta hit a bit of a rut at the moment...i agree with wookie when he says that there aren't really any great games being released at the moment...mind you most consoles have dry periods...ps2 had one earlier this year...but the point is as wookie says....it's a BAD TIME TO HAVE A DRY PERIOD for the xbox.

luckily i like quite a lot of the launch titles
currently have:
amped -two thumbs up
project gotham racing -two thumbs up
oddworld -two thumbs up
rallisport challenge -two thumbs up
jet set radio future -two thumbs up
dead or alive 3 -two thumbs up
gun valkyrie -so so (can get very frustrating)
genma onimusha -so so

and finally halo -i think it's excellent esp the outdoor sequences... vehicles are actually okay once you get used to controlling them (i remember hating them at first). the weapons are all good (well actually i never really use the needler cos you run out of ammo too quick). the graphics are great (without that annoying fog to block out the view) but i do agree that it's a bit c*ap that they use repetitive textures. they should really have varied the environments more. AI is great- best i've seen so far. it's got great multiplayer :D

i've never played goldeneye or perfect dark so i can't really comment on that. but as for medal of honour: allied assault:

it's a great game and the set sequences are better than halo's (that beach landing rocks :D) BUT it's WAYYYY too short and the supposed stealth bits of the games aren't really that great cos you can actually just go through the game all gung ho. and i HATE that sniper village bit (i think it is Mission 5) -that was so frustrating. but it's the second best fps i've played.

anyways as for games that haven't been released at launch...well there really haven't been many good ones...i did get hunter: the reckoning but i got bored pretty quickly and find that baldurs gate: dark alliance (same sort of game) is better. luckily i have a ps2, US ps1 and pc to play on should i have nothing really to play on my xbox...(hope to get a gc to add to my collection :D)
Thu 11/07/02 at 22:07
"High polygon count"
Daveus - with respect - argue all you like, but please knock off the language, even if you are using *'s. You will only get yourself banned.
Thu 11/07/02 at 22:02
Regular
"BOSE"
ok, you wanna do this...fine by me.

Halo's more of a future realistic game. i won't shut up. you shut the f**k up!

Goldeneye's not completly relistic in another way. how the f**k can one man take on 20+ men armed with killer weapons?
Thu 11/07/02 at 21:51
"High polygon count"
garbe123 wrote:
> On top of the games which I own already I am desperate to own:
> Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding

Send me a cheque for £20 with your address and you can have mine - unused and unopened. If your not sure if I can be trusted, ask YH - he bought SSX off of me when he had his PS2.
Thu 11/07/02 at 21:47
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> the guys here'll agree with me on all of the above

I don't agree with you. Why don't you shut up. We complain on here about other console fanboys, but we've got one of our own here.

You can like a console without loving every single game that's out for it. I bought my console on the launch weekend with Halo and PGR.

Halo is a good game in single player, but in MY OWN OPINION it's not a classic. I PERSONALLY would prefer to see more levels, but smaller ones. I don't always have a spare hour to complete a level.

As for Halo being realistic, er hello? Aliens and spaceships and blue floaty orb things leading you around. That's hardly realistic, is it?

Face it, not every Xbox owner loves Halo as much as you do. Like I said, in single player it's a good game. Nothing more. In multiplayer it is great fun.
Thu 11/07/02 at 21:26
Regular
"BOSE"
are you a skitzo or what? make up your mind! "i like it"..."i don't like it". i had an N64 as well as other games i had Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Goldeneye's a classic but Perfect Dark isin't. and i think Halo could be a classic too. no one can slate Halo, no one! do you have an XBOX? proberly not because you're slating it! not challenging enough for ya? bo||ocks! you've proberly only done it on easy. legendary is like 98% f**king impossible mate! that's a challenge! only having two weapons plus grenades makes it even more realistic and CHALLENGING. take Goldeneye for example, do you think an average man could carry around: two pistols, knifes, grenades, four machine guns, assult rifle, rocket launcher, grenade launcher etc, etc...and all that f**king ammo!? not realistic. there for in Halo you can only carry two guns and grenades...realistic. same applies with Perfect Dark, you can't carry all those guns and ammo. un-realistic. Halo has realism, which is what gamers these days want. also it was on a propper channel, Halo is in the top ten best games EVER made. and you can't false advertise, as The Mirror said "it sets the XBOX apart from the competition". get it? good. now shut the f**k up!

the guys here'll agree with me on all of the above
Thu 11/07/02 at 18:32
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Like I said, its opinion. I found Halo lonely, dull, and although large, very slow (in the single player)

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had huge variety, more, smaller levels, endless guns, a perfect learning curve, and intellignece mixed in. While Halo improves in the multiplayer considerably, it still does not match Goldeneyes simplicity, and PDs huge variety and challenges.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Thu 11/07/02 at 18:28
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Halo is not the best ever - Excellent, but nowhere near as good as
> Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were.
>
> Like Your Honour said, its single-player mode is reasonable. I
> disagree. Its dull. However, in multiplayer thins brighten up, and
> co-operative is its best feautre, and is great fun.

Perfect Dark and Goldeneye are'nt really excellent in my point of view (there again im not really a nintendo games/console fan.) It just depends on what games you like. I found Halo awesome.
Thu 11/07/02 at 18:25
Regular
"gsybe you!"
True, the future is looking strong, but it is for GC and PS2 as well.

Its all down to what you like. Opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.