GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What can the X-Box actually do??????"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/07/02 at 00:33
Regular
Ok its a console made by microsoft and the first, so we can give it a chance but does it have what it takes to compete with all the other consoles?
Sat 13/07/02 at 19:33
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'll explain Crash and Circus Maximus - I have done reviews on them too if you want a more indepth look into it. ;-)

Crash is basically Demolition Derby for the X-Box, although there are some slight differences. DD is more based on racing while Crash is more revolved around car smashing.
There are a couple of races in Crash, but most of it is smash challenges and stunt games.
You have games such as Hunter where the car that is "it" is chased and smashed by the other cars until they are either destroyed or the tag is switched to another car. You have the Free For All which is a basic deathmatch style game with the highest points score deciding the winner. Last Man Standing where you have to survive until the timer runs out while eliminating the other cars.

There are 2 types of races, a straight race and one called Eliminator where the last car each lap is taken out of the race till there is a winner (lapping a car is also another way of eliminating them).
Then you have the stunt games. Theres a stunt park where you can throw your car all over the place and jump through hoops which is a lot of fun - I reccommend a team free for all on this area. ;-)
Theres also barrel pushing and bus jumping to be played.

The one player mode offers plenty of little challenges like these and as you play through, you unlock the tracks and cars to play as in Arcade and Multiplayer modes. The random style of the play makes it a lot of fun. One go on a track can be very ordinary while the next can be full of excellent moments that you want to save the replay for. I've had a lot of fun with this game and the multiplayer is excellent. :-)
Another thing I'll quickly note is that you can play the soundtracks on your hard drive in the game instead of the usual ones if you want to.
;-)

Now for Circus Maximus. Basically you race around tracks that are set in the old Roman areas such as Germania and Rome. The tracks tend to be huge so it takes awhile to complete the full 3 laps.
You control both the horseman and the gladiator on the back. Sounds complicated and to some it might be. The tutorial is a must but once you learn this way, things will stick and you'll soon have no problems controlling everything.
It offers a bigger challenge than a lot of other racing games because you have to keep control of the chariot as cornering too sharply without your gladiator leaning to the opposite side can cause your chariot to tip and have a bad crash.

Of course there is also a co-op mode where one player can control the horseman while the other controls the gladiator and once you start playing you'll soon learn that it'll take good team work to win as its not just a case of the player in the drivers seat racing while the other just bashes the buttons.
It graphics aren't the best on X-Box but it still looks quite nice with the horses in particular deserving a notice. The music is pretty atmospheric to the game too. :-)

You can make your own combination from different chariots, horses, horseman and gladiators which can be nice because it gives that more personal touch to your chosen selection. :-)
Other horsemen and gladiators can be earned as you play through the game.
The 4 player is fun and will no doubt offer plenty of hours.

The one thing however that might get a few people annoyed is that when you make an opponent crash, its not long before they're straight up your backside again trying to pass you or fight again. So basically your battling throughout the race and can still be picked at the post if your not careful.
But then at the same time, if you were to just simply make an opponent crash then storm off miles ahead, it would make the game boring so in its own way this was probably the better choice to make. It works the same for players too so what makes you swear at the CPU one minute will have you praising it the next. ;-))

If your feeling cautious about these games then I reccommend that you at least give them a rent and give them a chance. Crash had mixed reviews but I certainly enjoyed it and as for Circus Maximus, I really don't think it deserved the bad reviews it got. To me it seems those reviews were written by someone who can't be bothered to learn the controls and just flew straight into the main game.
I think its the detail of the racing technique that makes this game worth a look as it offers something different to the usual racing games. It might get frustrating at certain moments, but there is certainly a sense of reward when your pull off a good move with the chariot and get ahead of the pack for it.
Sorry If I've rambled but I hope this helps. ;-))
Sat 13/07/02 at 18:17
Regular
I have'nt actually got the game itself, but i have spent at least 5 minutes on it in the shop! People who have crash will be able to explain more.

I beleive its a arcade style crash em up similar to the destruction derby games, instead of racing you smash the living daylights out of anything that moves.
Sat 13/07/02 at 17:08
Regular
"BOSE"
change of plan. as my half brother's comming over on the 19th for 9 days to stay with us...we'll be taking him to our favourite pubs :)

so i need to keep some pub money locked up ;-)

have to get JSRF at a later date...maybe even after the lovely Buffy :-)

could you explain Crash to me please ?

Circus Maximus, i've seen clips of this. looks fun to me. wouldn't of thought that it's got bad reviews. is it like a racing and beating the hell out of the other charriots to stop them over taking etc? ? ?
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:39
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah you need to own JSRF mate. ;-)
The games I own are...
Halo - Of course. ;-)

DOA3 - An excellent beat em up, could do with more characters though.

PGR - Great racing game. Miss MSR's system of the time changing with the consoles clock though.

Hunter: The Reckoning - Its not amazing, but the constant action can make multiplayer a laugh (or hell if the other players are crap).

Circus Maximus - Some might find it hard, but despite lame reviews, I actually enjoyed it.

JSRF - A superb game by Sega, everyone should own this. ;-)

Crash - I've actually had a lot of good playing time on this game - especially in multiplayer. :-)

Gun Metal - Basically a mindless shooter. Its good, but again, not an award winner. It gets hard and will probably frustrate a few later on.

Legends Of Wrestling - This is a game for wrestling fans more than anyone. Its not going to beat the likes of the Smackdown series or WWE Raw Is War 2 when it comes out. Fans will probably get a good amount of time out of it though. Its probably the only wrestling game (along with its sequel) where you can play as the likes of Bret Hart and Ted Dibiase nowadays. ;-))

Other games I've owned...
Amped - I liked it, but traded it in towards a GC which I later got rid of. Seeing as I'm not a massive snowboarding game fan I'll probably wait for its sequel to come out now or a better title of this type.

Blood Wake - Had its moments in multiplayer, but with the games I have now I'd never play it again.

NBA Inside Drive - The demo stopped this even getting out of its packaging. Extremely lame and quickly traded in once it came through the post.

As for the X-Box's current situation, I wouldn't say its all as red alert as others would have you believe. I've certainly seen worse launches.
I think August and September will provide some great titles and from there, the months leading upto Christmas and onwards will bring the amazing titles we all want. The PS2 seems to be in a dry patch right now where things are pretty quiet and the GC is pretty lacking in any big titles on the way until around September. So at the moment it looks like all 3 companies are waiting till around the same time to start pushing out the big names. I think the X-Box is getting enough varied titles to last for the next month or so. Christmas will no doubt start to form a picture of the future for all 3 consoles.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:02
Regular
"BOSE"
Cheers Soul :-)

you've just convinced me mate. i'm going down today for my mum's brthday present, card, decorations etc. if i have enough money i'll get it :-)
Sat 13/07/02 at 14:57
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> can you explain Jet Set Radio Future to me? it's not a timed game is
> it? don't have to do level in certain amount of time or anything? etc
> ? ?

STORY MODE:
A colourful and cool platformer on rocket rollerblades.
Spray graffiti everywhere.
Jump, grind and trick around big urban levels.

STREET CHALLENGE MODE:
Complete several challenges in each s**tage - i.e. trick high score challenges, find hidden s**tuff challenges, etc.

TIME TRIALS:
Jet Graffiti - tag all the graffiti points in the fas**tes**t time possible.
Jet Technique - accumulate the highes**t trick score you can within the time limit.
Jet Flag - locate all the flags scattered throughout the s**tage.
Jet Race - a one-on-one race agains**t an opponent around any s**tage.

Good multiplayer.
No time-limits sh*t.
Brilliant game.
Sat 13/07/02 at 14:50
Regular
"BOSE"
;-)

have you ever played Amped with cheats on? it's PHAT! :D you go MILES into the air which means you can do like 100 or so spins, tricks etc :D. it took me like 2-3 weeks to realise you press 'B' to go on the rails etc :S lol

can you explain Jet Set Radio Future to me? it's not a timed game is it? don't have to do level in certain amount of time or anything? etc ? ?
Sat 13/07/02 at 14:48
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Fair enough. Anyone else? :-) Got DoA3 too - will only be trading
> them in anyway, so get in now!

Wookiee, if you trade them in at Gamestation (providing you want to trade them in against something) you will get more than the £20 you were asking for. I got £24 for Jet Set Radio Future, and that wasn't sealed. Just try to get those stickers off it, and maybe even claim they were unwanted. Just try saying you lost the recipt.

You never know, it might work.
Sat 13/07/02 at 14:42
Regular
"accidental superher"
Daveus wrote:
> beanz wrote:
> i have:
>
> dead or alive 3 - i have it but there's too many moves ot learn for
> too many fighters. yeah, i could learn them proberly but patience
> isin't one of my vertues

it's a good thing that there are loadsa moves and characters -increases replayability...and also you could just learn a few moves at a time...
>
> rallisport challenge - i need to get used to the handling

i recommend you go for the in car view...and also the game also requires you to brake quite a lot...it's quite a tough though
>
> jet set radio future - strongly thinking of buying -i recommend you buy it
>
> amped - got and getting used to (thank you package) -same here :D but it's cool
>
> gun valkyrie - what's this about? -game made by sega...arcadey game...quite frustrating controls i suppose. all about jetpacking round killing bugs using powerful guns :D
>
> genma onimusha -okay but i got it for 20 quid so i'm not complaining -
> what's this about? -game made by the people who brought you resident evil...but instead of using guns (although there is a gun later in the game) you use swords...very short game but is very tough (well until you get your tactics sorted out).
Sat 13/07/02 at 14:06
Regular
"BOSE"
beanz wrote:
> i have:
>
> halo - no complaints apart from no AI multiplayer

> dead or alive 3 - i have it but there's too many moves ot learn for too many fighters. yeah, i could learn them proberly but patience isin't one of my vertues

> rallisport challenge - i need to get used to the handling

> jet set radio future - strongly thinking of buying

> amped - got and getting used to (thank you package)

> project gotham racing - got and mostly used to

> oddworld - no complaints

> gun valkyrie - what's this about?

> genma onimusha -okay but i got it for 20 quid so i'm not complaining - what's this about?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.