GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC gaming is dead..."

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/07/02 at 15:11
Regular
is something I hear FAR too often. The PC gaming industry is worth billions of dollars, yet people think with the release of two new consoles, it's suddenly going to crash (no pun intended). They are wrong, as long as the PC has quality, exclusive titles such as Neverwinter Nights.
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:11
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
People think that the PC is dead when new consoles come out because the consoles can produce far better graphics and games.

However this is only fo about a year, as by thios time, PC upgrades have come down in price and you can upgrade your PC so that it can pr5oduce better graphics than the consoles.

By the end of a consoles life it is so far behind the PC is unbelievable, weve just seen this, look at the difference between the PC now and the PS1, that was also supposed to kill the PC games industry.

Did it? Me thinks not!
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:08
"Darkness, always"
locky1133 wrote:
> As soon as you buy a new PC, even a top-of-the-range one, it's out of
> date the second you hand over the cash!

As opposed to consoles, which are out of date almost two years before they even hit the shelves.
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:06
"Darkness, always"
PCs are like RPG characters. That's why I love them.

Upgrade the CPU? Or the 3d card? level up? So much money is so much experience points. Spend them wisely.

I love my PC. Certainly more than I do my GC. My GC is just for "laff" gaming, consoles just aren't equipped enough for me.

And consoles have never done well for RTS games, and strategy is my favorite form of gaming. Where are all the best RTS games? On PC.
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Omnipresent"
As soon as you buy a new PC, even a top-of-the-range one, it's out of date the second you hand over the cash!
Tue 09/07/02 at 11:46
Regular
"A man with a stick"
If you don't want to upgrade because of the cost, don't. But if you buy a console, you'll be spending more money on games than you would for the PC. And besides, nobody forces you into upgrading, it's just an option you can 'choose' to do if you wanted.

Don't give me any of that 'but you have to upgrade to play the latest games' because that's bull. You only have to upgrade if you want to play these games in their highest detail, they can be minimised to your computers technical specs, and while the games might not look as pritty, they still play the same.

I don't see upgrading as a problem, if anything they'll keep me from spending a thousand quid on a new computer, instead spending a few hundred on some new parts. I can't see anything wrong with that.
Tue 09/07/02 at 11:05
Regular
it all depends on if developers give up on PC's for consoles.... yes they can be upgraded alot but whats the point when a console costs only 130 quid
Tue 09/07/02 at 10:56
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I've had my PC for a 2 or 3 years now and have enjoyed some brilliant games on it.
Soldier of Fortune 1 and i'll get the second one soon maybe,
Project IGI was great and the sequel is come out soon,
Grim Fandango,
Champ Manager,
Max Payne,
Operation Flashpoint,
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Wolfenstein,
The Sims,
Jedi Knight II,
Half-Life,
GTA 3.

Plus there's always a few good titles to look foward to.
Tue 09/07/02 at 10:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Pc Gaming will not die, sure PC game perhaps don't sell as well as console games, but then the PC doesn't really have any real competition to compete with. I don't think consoles count due to both the PC and console being very different from each other hardware wise.

The PC has the best online multiplayer support, which will probably never be matched by any console, not for a very long time anyway. It's more easier to play online than a console I suspect, the x-box and PS2 seem to be forcing their consumers to pay for broadband to get online which may be too expensive for some gamers, while broadband will not be available for others. The PC allows you to choose whichever options you want to go online, so therefore appeals to a wider portion of the online market.

Developers will probably never switch to console only gaming for one main reason. Game developers are always going to want to show off their games, usually with eye-popping graphics, and while this can be done on consoles, they do have their limitation in the hardware department. The PC can be upgraded with the latest in 3D technology, so it's a great opportunity for games developers and hardware manufactures to show off to the gaming world what they can do.

One of the best things about the PC is it can be upgraded. Some people find this a problem, but I really can't. The trouble with consoles, as I mentioned before they are limited to one set of hardware, which can never really be upgraded. This means consoles have a shorter lifespan when compared with PC's, as computers can be kept running for years with a few upgrades. Sure they cost money and are a pain to fit sometimes, but nothing is forced, you don't have to upgrade, it's just in doing so a PC could last years longer than any console.

PC gaming will only fail if PC's they stop being made and disappear into nothingness. That's unlikely to happen, and with a strong online support, vastly improving hardware, and some of the best games coming out over the next year, I'd say if anything, PC gaming is far more alive and well than it is dead.
Tue 09/07/02 at 01:00
Regular
pc gaming is the all time lowest selling format......
it will lose it's faith when people will have to upgrade just to play the latest games.
Mon 08/07/02 at 23:45
PC Gaming... dead?

Pfffft. Funny how all the best Online games are based around the PC. Funny how some of the greatest games ever released, are for the PC.

The PC will never die. As long as the developers keep on churning the games out. It's ridiculous to think someone as thick as a brick has stated that...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.