GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC gaming is dead..."

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/07/02 at 15:11
Regular
is something I hear FAR too often. The PC gaming industry is worth billions of dollars, yet people think with the release of two new consoles, it's suddenly going to crash (no pun intended). They are wrong, as long as the PC has quality, exclusive titles such as Neverwinter Nights.
Tue 09/07/02 at 19:38
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Snipe® wrote:
> it all depends on if developers give up on PC's for consoles.... yes
> they can be upgraded alot but whats the point when a console costs
> only 130 quid

Quite a lot when the console games cost 50quid and PC games cost 25...

Besides, this obession with upgrading PC is completly unfounded...

Ive got a P2-450, which I've had since 1999, and the only upgrade I've bought it a 128MB RAM upgrade for 17.50 last summer...

I'm recently played Medal of Honour at 1024x1028 with any judders whatsoever...

And am currently playing GTA3 and Spiderman at the same res... both without any performance loss and using max options.

The only change I've recently made is to use 16bit depth instead of 32... however, at the res I'm using it makes no difference anyway.

I'm getting better than PS2 quality graphics for a machine that I picked up 3 years before its release?
Tue 09/07/02 at 18:28
Dungeon Siege proves the point that P.C. gaming is not dead and i suspect there will be many more titles on PC and no where else or if they are itll be much later with the exception of the xbox maybe. Also Dark Angel is only going to be on the PS2 and the PC and no where else, Good ole` Lara Croft.
Tue 09/07/02 at 18:22
Regular
Power doesnt matter that's the problem with PC gaming in general....
Tue 09/07/02 at 17:23
"Darkness, always"
Skarra wrote:
> I know PC gaming could have years of life left, but the end is nigh.
> A Japanise company has begun work on the last game ever. They think
> there are no more stories, or plots etc, to go, so they began working
> on an all in 1 game. FPS, Flight Sim, Race Sim ect, so indeed, the end
> is in sight for PC gaming. But i hope not for a long time.

If that's true for PC gaming, it's true also for consoles. If there are no stories left, then that's gaming in general right out the window.
Tue 09/07/02 at 17:21
"Darkness, always"
The Gamer wrote:
> Right now the consoles have better graphics

?? Are you blind ??

> in fact I can see more progress in
> a year on the PS2 graphically than I have in 2 yrs of PC gaming

PS2 looks today as average as it always has, never mind the fact that even on launch, the average PC on the shelf was far faster, more powerful, and more flexible than the PS2. You obviously haven't been looking very hard if you haven't seen much progress in the last 2 years.

> As much as I have enjoyed PC gaming and still continute to, it
> wouldn't bother me if PC gaming died, but only if all games were on
> the consoles,

which wouldn't happen. Most consoles are massively ln the Central Processing department, the reason why games like Championship Manager games have never taken off in that department (except XBOX, which now has a version, but I've yet to see it). RTS games have always been massively inferior on consoles, and RPG games tend to be much more simplistic.

PCs offer high power gaming, and also "state of the art" gaming. No console will ever be able to offer this, because they are of fixed capacity, while PCs are not.
Tue 09/07/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
I know PC gaming could have years of life left, but the end is nigh.
A Japanise company has begun work on the last game ever. They think there are no more stories, or plots etc, to go, so they began working on an all in 1 game. FPS, Flight Sim, Race Sim ect, so indeed, the end is in sight for PC gaming. But i hope not for a long time.
Tue 09/07/02 at 15:50
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I could in a years time buy an x-box instead of upgrading my computer, well it would cost less wouldn't it? Of course not, while the hardware may set me back a bit, the software on the PC is far cheaper than that on consoles.

It cost around £40 for a brand new game on an x-box, whil new PC games come out at around £30 even sometimes £25 as with GTA3. Wait longer and these games can drop to £10 or even £5. This means if I where to go with the upgrade, in the long run I would save more money than I would buying another console.

As for upgrades for the latest games, well like I said before you don't 'have' to upgrade to play games, it's an option you can choose if you so wish. I have SOF2 in my posetion, and have a pritty basic 3D card. The game isn't a looker as you'd imagine, but it plays exactly the same as it would if I had a top of the range PC with all the graphic details set to high.

Graphics don't make a game, so I couldn't care less whether or not I had to run the game in software mode to play, just so long as I could play it. Sure nice graphics would be nice, but it's something I can live without and something I don't feel I 'have' to upgrade for.

As for PC's not being made for gaming, well that's partly true. Yes PC's primary task is to run programs for home and office use such a MS works ectt.. but this doesn't mean gaming on the PC is shallower than the consoles. PC gamers and games have adapted to the technology and the hardware available, making PC gaming almost a unique experience to every user. Just because the PC wasn't made for gaming, doesn't mean it isn't good at it.
Tue 09/07/02 at 15:23
Regular
Consoles will always sell better..... PC's were first built for not playing games so they are not so stable... consoles are more game dedicated, forget the power.
Tue 09/07/02 at 15:20
I have a PC and consoles, and I love both, But to be honest right now I think consoles are better, it's no joke having to upgrade a pc or even a graphics card, when the Geforce 4 is over £300 alone, and you can buy a PS2 or Xbox for under £200

Right now the consoles have better graphics and will run games at maximum frame rate right out of the case, most games that come out now are on console as well as PC.

As for not being able to upgrade a console, well this forces the software developers to learn the hardware better and improve the graphics for future games by better programming, we all see the improvements each year on the PS2, in fact I can see more progress in a year on the PS2 graphically than I have in 2 yrs of PC gaming, whereas PC game developers can be a bit lazy by simply making a game that just relies on more powerful hardware to run, thus forcing you to have the very latest specs to run the game.

As much as I have enjoyed PC gaming and still continute to, it wouldn't bother me if PC gaming died, but only if all games were on the consoles,as long as their are good 'PC only' titles coming out such as SWAT Urban justice, soldier of fortune 2, Mafia, Unreal Tournament 2003 etc I will continue with PC gaming.
Tue 09/07/02 at 14:12
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I find it odd that console gamers belittle the PC games industry, especially when some of the best games on some of the consoles come from the PC. Max Payne, Dues Ex, The GTA series which started life on the PC ect.. They don't give these games a second look until they are announced for their console, when they become the next, and best game for their machine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.