GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box or Playstation 2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/07/02 at 23:04
Regular
X box with internet ready and games with realistic graphics
playstation 2 with not yet internet but very fast loading and good graphics,
Tue 09/07/02 at 11:31
"Stupid Newbie :D"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Child huh ? Cute. Developer ? Even cuter.

*Laughs*

Whats the matter kiddo? Jealous?
Founding member of Artifical Entertainment, current project being WRATH, website being http://board.wrathgame.co.uk. WinterCloak would be me, and I'm nowhere near being on the dole son, sounds like you might be though - hence the bitterness when someone pokes fun at you. ;)

> Seeing as your so clued up on the
> games world its funny how you mention the X-Box not having games as
> playable as Baldur's Gate 2 and MGS2 when both titles are on they're
> way to the console

Are they there now? ;)
I suggest you stick in school bud, your grasp of the English language is fairly mediocre, and thats being polite. I said they aren't on the X-Box, I was entirely correct in my statement, do pay attention. Btw - Baldur's Gate 2 is NOT out, nor is it being developed for the X-Box. Again you show your ignorance to the fact, by neglecting to realise that BG:DA is not Baldur's Gate 2, as that was released on the PC several years ago.

> As for Microsoft not having the staying power of the PS2 and Gamecube,
> plenty laughed when the original Playstation arrived with Nintendo and
> Sega having a big foothold on the games market.

Not really, no. Certainly not to the degree that the X-Box has been given, you'll find that it's sales are pathetically poor in comparison to that of the others, and that returns and second-hand sales are through the roof. Nobody sticks with it too long, it really isn't worth it.

> Then of course you go on about the X-Box's capabilities. One thing it
> has available to it is the hard drive which isn't just a nice built in
> memory card, it gives developers (you know, real ones) a chance to do
> things with their games that they couldn't do on the PS2 or GC.

Wrong. It gives them the oppurtunity to release patches for games which don't work correctly, despite the whole point of consoles being they work out of the box. It gives them the chance to release expensive, minor add-on packs, for the sole purpose of milking a few extra quid from the saps gullible enough to buy it in the first place, and it causes a whole load of issues in storage because hard drives have severe problems with fragmentation and allocation errors.

I suggest you actually pay attention to your tutors at school, if you actually manage to pass your GCSEs, you might be able to get onto some REAL courses in computing architecture, information technology, network administration etc. Once you know enough about the platform to be able to comment w/o spewing forth this verbal diahorrea you're currently so full of, do feel free to come back and make a few educated responses. ;)

> Seeing as your so clever you'll already know that games like Blinx and
> Project Ego can't be done on other consoles.

You'll find that they can, as the developers working on the other two platforms aren't as sloppy as Microsoft, I found myself appauled at Halo's framerate, stutters when it autosaved or you hit a teleport etc. Its disgusting, as that is outright NOT meant to happen at all on a console game, the only risk is in over-using resources and causing slowdown - but 99% of the current games have been efficient enough to avoid it. Microsoft are the opposite extreme, Halo was a really disappointing use of the processing and rendering capabilities their machine supposedly has, the visuals were unimpressive - look just like any other PC game out at present. Even Half-Life, which is already dated, looks roughly the same in visual depth.

> It might have PC style
> parts to it, but as a console, its more reliable for games.

Not "style", PC parts, period. Thats a GeForce chip in there, a standard HDD with a few alterations, RAM etc. It IS a poor man's PC, they're just stupid enough to think they can kid consumers into thinking it's a console, by sticking it in a console's casing... although listening to you harp on, maybe they can. ;)

Its not more reliable for games at all, the fact its using existing PC architecture makes it LESS reliable, as its more prone to malfunction and errors in these components - making it's lifespan shorter than the other systems.

> The X-Box is also bringing an excellent online service to console
> gaming.

Hmmm... yes and?
Sorry, but SEGA beat them to it with the Dreamcast's online capabilities, the PS2 already HAS online capabilities - which are soon to be expanded with several broadband and network devices. There has already been a Unix development kit produced (which comes with a HDD - as a seperate entity, not a required element of the PS2's make-up), which is on sale for budding PS2 developers, it plays DVDs out of the box (as the X-Box can, but WON'T, not unless you buy the handset), and has the ability for basic development included with it on purchase. What does the X-Box HAVE again? Oh yes... a harddrive.

*claps*

> But as far as the overall games go, more games are being
> announced all the time and from what I've seen, it has the biggest
> line up of games on the way (and thats not including existing titles
> before you try it on).

It has the biggest line up of PORTS, theres a slight difference.

There is very little change between the PC version and X-Box version of a game in terms of coding, as such a lot of older games are merely being ported, games being developed from scratch are distinctly fewer in number - and at present both the PS2 and GC outnumber the X-Box in terms of available titles, so its not about to catch up too quickly.

You're really clutching at straws here sonny, perhaps you would've fared better had you just stuck to your inane post that you made previously, it certainly had more cogent content than this one does. ;)

> Sony has a big foothold on the market right
> now but that doesn't make them invincible. But then you being a
> developer will know all this right ? Unfortunatly, the only
> developing I believe your doing is the early stages of puberty.

*Laughs in the child's face yet again*

I never said it was invincible kiddy-winkle, infact on several occasions already I have noted that the competition between a Nintendo/SEGA powerhouse will be a great thing to watch unfold, what I did say was that Microsoft's effort is pathetic. So do pay attention a little more, comprehension is something you should have down by now, if you don't its going to be highly amusing seeing you try to cope in the real world. ;)

As for the puberty comment, you'll find I passed that point many years ago, as did I finish my education - having already been through uni. You on the other hand, are so very blatantly a little boy its funny, its either that or a highly undereducated adult... I struggle to decide which one gives you the better stance in life, I suppose if it were the child, you can always swat up and make a change (however unlikely that is in your case).

Do me a favour next time? Actually know what you're talking about, and THINK about what it is you're trying to say, that way your retort might eventually pose a challenge to address - at present its a really pitiful cakewalk.

Have a peachy day, sonny. ;)
Tue 09/07/02 at 10:00
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Hey Cyclone are you still *there*?
Tue 09/07/02 at 09:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
savatt1668 wrote:
> If I had enough cash I'd be dishing out for a new excellent surround
> sound system, stupidly large tv and a mini fridge to store food and
> drink so I don't have to leave the room in large gaming sessions.
> Mmmmmmmmmmmm, perfect setup ::drool::

Mmmmmmm.....me too. Ah, dump the PS2 and XBox - give me that!

;)
Tue 09/07/02 at 07:55
Regular
"I Feel Depressed!"
PS2 got the better games, and the most relistic ones- The Gettaway
Tue 09/07/02 at 01:17
Regular
yea you are right there, it does look like a suitcase, and the game GTA3 is a unbelievable game, imagine making games with drive by's and murdering people, its mad, what do you all think?
Tue 09/07/02 at 01:08
Regular
and the x-box looks like a suitcase
Tue 09/07/02 at 01:07
Regular
definitely. I have a ps2, my mate has an X-box. I've not seen anything on his console that is better than a ps2 game really, and the ps2 has many more games. GTA3 and metal gear solid 2 are unbeatable for fun factor
Tue 09/07/02 at 01:04
Regular
so everyone in this chat topic thinks that the ps2 is better than the X-Box, I definately think so, i own a ps2 and i play it all the time and i love the graphics, there cool and the ps2 i think its the best of all time, anybody else agree on that comment
Mon 08/07/02 at 23:02
Regular
"I like cheese"
Strafex wrote:
> Nope. If the Playstation hadn't been around, Konami would've simply
> made it for the Saturn or N64 instead.
> You owe Sony NOTHING. Konami made your favourite game so align your
> loyalties with them.

I wouldn't be so sure. If so, why didn't they make them for the other consoles?

Also, I owe Sony my whole gaming 'life'. The PSX was the first console I actually ever bought, and it was the console that introduced me to the world of gaming.

Of course I don't 'owe' it to them in a literal sense, but ever since then I've preferred the games the PSX have offered. This is possibly because the first two games I ever bought and played were realistic games: Ridge Racer and Tekken. Okay, I know Tekken's not 'realistic', but it's certainly not your average Mario game.
Mon 08/07/02 at 22:53
Regular
Ant wrote:
> Played through MGS on the PSX once AGAIN today.
>
> *Shakes head in astonishment*
>
> My favourite game ever. No doubts. In no way has a storyline been so
> compelling, and never before have I felt so involved or emotional
> during a game. The music is indescribable, I've got no idea why they
> changed it for MGS2.
>
> That is why I stick with Sony, because without them and without this
> game, I probably wouldn't be on these chatforums today.

Nope. If the Playstation hadn't been around, Konami would've simply made it for the Saturn or N64 instead.
You owe Sony NOTHING. Konami made your favourite game so align your loyalties with them.

Likewise, after the likes of Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country, I will stay true to Rare, even if they do split from Nintendo.
British devellopers (especially ones so close to Leicester) rule!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.