GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is the best all round PC game of all?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/06/02 at 22:49
Regular
I an currently locked in an argument with a friend over the best PC game of all time. Not just best graphics, or plot, but in general. Not one or two good features, but a good all-rounder, plot/story, graphics, character ect.

We can't decide, so i'm looking for some insite from fellow gamers.
Sun 30/06/02 at 10:14
Regular
"A man with a stick"
If wargame isn't a genre, where do we put games like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon? I wouldn't exactly call these games FPS, because unlike most FPS they aren't as fast paced and generally require tactics to complete them.

It's hard to compare games like Op Flashpoint and MOH: AA when the only thing that links them is the player view of the game. The rest of these games are totally different to each other in all other areas.
Sun 30/06/02 at 10:06
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I would have thought Operation Flashpoint would be better under 'Best Fps' Wargame isn't a genre :p

I still don't think you hav to have a game for each genre though, it just depends on what games you've played, sadly i've never played a Final Fantasy game but I know they're utter class! all my mates have spent solid weeks just playing them getting crappy potions, it seems like crap to me but then I played Pokemon (don't diss before you play it)

I don't doubt that everyone will say Tetris is a class game, it was my first Gameboy game (obviously) and completly addictive, my mum and dad never stopped playing it and it was quite annoying when I had a new game.

Then again Lemmings had the same effect on my family, although it was the first one it was still a very clever game.

now, these games are very old, both about 10 years old now, you might not want to play them but they're still quality games and EVERYONE knows it.

Anyway, I was playing Operation Flashpoint again yesterday and I love it, I took a truck load of people out..before getting ambushed from behind *shrugs* then getting blown up by a tank, I love this game.
GTA1 follows closely behind.
Sat 29/06/02 at 13:41
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Good point there IB, I always find that choosing just one game as best of all time can be hard sinse I played a lot of great games. Anyway, here goes:

Best Strategy game:

I'd say Command And Conquer mainly because it was the first game to introduce me to the strategy genre, but unfortunately it's showing it's age now. I'll go with Shogun instead, a rejuvenation of the genre by introducing newer and more realistic types of strategy to the strategy market on a whole. Everything effects the way your troops perform, morale, weather, experience ect.. But if none of that interests you, there's always taking part in battles with thousands of units on screen at once. It makes the game just as fun to watch, as it is to play.

Best FPS:

MOH: AA and SOF2 a good games, but not the best FPS around. That honour goes to No one lives forever which is perhaps 'the' best FPS sinse Half Life. It's funny, has lots of varying levels, will take an age to complete, is graphically stunning and surprisingly well acted by the voice actors. A great game that’s kept me entertained for hours, and I am really looking forward to the sequel out later this year.

Best Wargame:

Operation Flashpoint of course. It's a game with little competition, because no other title on the market has the variety or long-term appeal than this game. An open-ended masterpiece. Looking forward to the resistance add-on pack, which I will be getting sometime soon.

Best Multiplayer:

Probably one of the half-life mods, Day of Defeat or Firearms. Both have kept me playing for long periods of time, they are so fun to play and never seem to get boring. Both where developed by people who knew they where going to get little or no money for their project, yet they didn't design them to make money, they designed them to be played and enjoyed. That's one of the reasons there they are so enjoyable to play, they where created by gamers specifically for gamers instead of profit.
Fri 28/06/02 at 12:35
"Darkness, always"
"The Best Game Ever"

The problem here is that games lie in what we in the business call "genres". Now, given that everyone likes different things ("different strokes for different blokes"), what might be a great game, may be for some in a genre of which they are not particularly fond.

If you want to pick out the "best game ever", I advise you do so one genre at a time.
Fri 28/06/02 at 12:10
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Baldur's Gate.
Fri 28/06/02 at 10:44
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I agree that MOH: AA is a great game, probably one of the best FPS of recent time, but I find that operation flashpoint is better as an action game. I think it's partly down to the heavy realism of the title, which is strange sinse other games which are too realistic, tend not to be as fun as arcade type games.

It's the missions in flashpoint that make the game for me. Their so varied in that they don't just comprise of 'go here, kill everyone, then get out' like in the delta force series. Mission objectives always seem to change mid-mission, so you never know how the end result is going to turn out.

I also like the missions where you’re trapped being enemy lines and have escape to safety without being killed. Just as tense as what I would imagine a real soldier would be in that situation. There are plenty of other things which make the game stand out, but the missions are one of the big plus points for me, and are what keep me going back time and time again.

Speaking of Flashpoint, anyone getting the new add-on pack, Resistance? It's out today I think. It's set on a new, big island where you play as resistance troops this time, the graphics engine has been beefed up allot, there's tons more vehicles such as a motorbike and there's also a bit of strategy thrown in this time aswell.

In-between missions you have to kit out your troops with whatever weapons and equipment you have, being a resistance means a low supply of guns and ammo, so you have to use them sparingly. There's also a mission where you get to blow up a huge bridge over a river, sounds fun :) Anyway, It's defiantly one for my future games collection, and probably the near future at that.
Thu 27/06/02 at 22:16
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Thank's for your view's. I think Flashpoint is one of the best. It's quite long, not bad graphically, belivable, and compelling story line, plus an endless supply of mod's and addons for years of game play.
My mate thinks its MOHAA. Sure, it's a great game, but lacks, it. Not sure what, just, it. I think their just caught up in the hype still.
Thu 27/06/02 at 10:11
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Half Life.

Constantly winning awards. Graphics were good in it's day. Story was cliched but still cool. Music was great.

No doubt. Half Life forever.

Unless you disagree, obviously.
Thu 27/06/02 at 10:03
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
So your not gonna tell us what games you and your friend are arguing about?
I'd say either GTA1 or RA1, I really like just loading up the game and playing a mate online, especially RA as some games can take ages :) GTAs fun because it's not graphics your looking at, it's just good gameplay, sometimes kill my mates in some intresting ways i'm hoping to get a LAN running in the next few months and I won't be dragged away from that...
Wed 26/06/02 at 22:49
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
I an currently locked in an argument with a friend over the best PC game of all time. Not just best graphics, or plot, but in general. Not one or two good features, but a good all-rounder, plot/story, graphics, character ect.

We can't decide, so i'm looking for some insite from fellow gamers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.