GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is the best all round PC game of all?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/06/02 at 22:49
Regular
I an currently locked in an argument with a friend over the best PC game of all time. Not just best graphics, or plot, but in general. Not one or two good features, but a good all-rounder, plot/story, graphics, character ect.

We can't decide, so i'm looking for some insite from fellow gamers.
Tue 02/07/02 at 12:31
Regular
UT
Tue 02/07/02 at 12:18
Regular
"A man with a stick"
As much as I'd love to stay and argue about genres all day, I think we have all seemed to have missied the point of why this thread was stated in the first place.

Best Management game

Rolercoaster Tycoon of course. Much better than theme park world which did have a 3D engine, but that's one of the reasons I found that game crap. RT however, gave you the chance to concentrate more on the rides than on the camera angle, and is better for it. Being a fan of the management genre, I found alot in RT to keep me occupied, building new rides to bring in more profit, keeping the parks clean, making everybody happy enough, it's a challange, and a challange which stops the game becoming a bore. Great game, can't wait for the sequel.
Tue 02/07/02 at 12:03
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
that too
Tue 02/07/02 at 11:50
"Darkness, always"
GTA = Teen angst, must take out my frustration on this game, as I have no other outlets because my parents abused me as a child/my parents never paid me enough attention
Tue 02/07/02 at 11:41
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
GTA = Action
Tue 02/07/02 at 11:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Crime-em-ups

I love that, should be an official genre that everyone uses, an I use it to catagorise games like GTA, which again are hard to put into one single genre.
Tue 02/07/02 at 11:26
"Darkness, always"
Basically, the level of complexity games offer these days demands that we have a flexible classification system. Saying "every game where you look through the eyes of your character" is an FPS game is just plain ludicrous. Even in Dungeon Keeper II you can play through the eyes of your creatures, but an FPS game it is not by any stretch of the imagination.

It makes sense to be able to classify certain games like Deus Ex, Flashpoint and Wargasm as something other than FPS, since FPS is only an element of these games. Deus EX has plot, and lots of, as well as the "Role Playing" element (which isn't nearly as revolutionary as was claimed - it was just an update of the System Shock 2 system imo). Flashpoint, Wargasm, Rainbow Six and any other number of wargames aren't just about the point and shoot element, indeed, in Rainbow Six, you spend more time planning the action than you do spend actually in it.

So, I propose that a good classification system whereby any game can be classified using a(ny) combination of the following words:

First-Person
Action
Adventure
Shooter
Sim
Strategy
Role-Playing
Real-Time
Turn-Based
Puzzle
War

etc etc. Feel free to complete the list of keywords
Tue 02/07/02 at 10:51
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Just to hopefully clarify things a bit, I shall explain why I use the war games genre.

As has been mentioned, titles like flashpoint and wargasms (Yes IB, I do class it as a war game) have a mix of genres instead of just one. Flashpoint could probably be put in the first person strategy flight and tank sim shooter genre, but then would be silly.

Putting it in just one of these genre's, for me would be confusing, as the games don't just use one single genre. I made up the war games genre so I could distinguish the game from the typical FPS or Tank sim ect.. as the one thing these games have in common, aside from their mix of genres, is they are all set around the backdrop of war. Hence War games.

This is easier for me to tell games like flashpoint and games like MOH apart, sinse they have little in common. If you want to class Flashpoint as a FPS, that's fine by me, but I find it easier to use the war games genre for these such titles.

This 'discussion'? is slightly pointless sinse neither of us will agree with each other. We just have to except that we are different when it comes down to categorising certain games.
Tue 02/07/02 at 07:09
Command and Conquer was very good but theres been so many Dugeon Master from old, Dungeon Siege looks a corker, Monkey Island, Tombraider ;0)
Mon 01/07/02 at 23:37
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Skarra wrote:
> If this is the case, then wouldn't Deus Ex be classed as a FPS.
-----
Don't know, I havn't played it.

What about combat flight sims. You see through the eyes of the pilot, you
> shoot the enemy, yet there not FPS.
-----
It's essentially a flight sim.
It's not my logic, it's general logic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.