GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is the best all round PC game of all?"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/06/02 at 22:49
Regular
I an currently locked in an argument with a friend over the best PC game of all time. Not just best graphics, or plot, but in general. Not one or two good features, but a good all-rounder, plot/story, graphics, character ect.

We can't decide, so i'm looking for some insite from fellow gamers.
Mon 01/07/02 at 17:54
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Fog wrote:

>FPS is a genre, like Action, Adventure, RPG ..etc, Wargames isn't a >genre, it's a sub-genre, OPF, MOH:AA are all FPS (First Person Shooters) >this is where you look through the guys/gals stomach and have the gun >bottom-left of central on your monitor screen, most new FPSs have 3rd >person views but thats not really a genre and they're still FPS games.

If this is the case, then wouldn't Deus Ex be classed as a FPS. What about combat flight sims. You see through the eyes of the pilot, you shoot the enemy, yet there not FPS. Your logic is flawed.
Mon 01/07/02 at 10:52
"Darkness, always"
Am I correct in believing that FPS is only a part of OFP?

If so, it can hardly be classed as an FPS game, since that ignores all the other elements in it. "Action/Adventure" or "Action/Strategy" are my immediate thoughts. Not every game from a first person perspective is a FPS game anyway.

Rainbow Six: First Person Strategy. The First person part is essentially the result of your planning, not the crux of the game. The crux is planning your entry, assault, objectives and retreat. The FPS is just observing/helping out the plan.

Some of you are a little close minded. There are many different genres of games, and I believe that wargame is one of them. Wargasm for example, part FPS, part tank sim, part strategy. What is it? A wargame.

experto credite

IB
Mon 01/07/02 at 10:22
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Can't be ar$ed anymore, I’ll class Flashpoint as a wargame if I want, I really don't care if the majority put it in the FPS genre. I can't believe this pointless argument has carried on so long.
Mon 01/07/02 at 09:40
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
doesn't have to be a killathon to class as a FPS..it has to have a FPS view. That is all.
I just don't see why it got it's own category and others didn't.

I would have thought most people in this forum would agree that a FPS would get the best allround game..trophy? whatever as most people here play them instead of console games, so selecting a game from each category wasn't really worth the time.

Anyway *is off to play OpF*
Sun 30/06/02 at 21:32
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I put games like Op Flashpoint and Ghost Recon in that genre category myself, I couldn't give a flying feck whether or not it's an official genre or not.

To me, the only thing linking games such as Flashpoint and games such as SOF2 is the First perspective viewpoint, that's all. War games have a more tactical and strategic edge than normal FPS killathon's.

Just because the genre to you doesn't exist, doesn't mean I have to categorise every game with a First person Perspective into one genre. So in a way, I am right, but right for me.
Sun 30/06/02 at 20:29
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Jedi Knight 2 is a mixture, it's got 3rd person, 1st person, Role play and action all in one, lucky, lucky people, it's definatly not a wargame, no war involved in Jedi Knight 2 :p
Sun 30/06/02 at 20:26
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
*sigh* hes not right, *stamps feet* ok, i'll explain it a little more.
FPS is a genre, like Action, Adventure, RPG ..etc, Wargames isn't a genre, it's a sub-genre, OPF, MOH:AA are all FPS (First Person Shooters) this is where you look through the guys/gals stomach and have the gun bottom-left of central on your monitor screen, most new FPSs have 3rd person views but thats not really a genre and they're still FPS games,

Wargames arn't a genre, if you let them have their own genre your going to have to give football and other sports their own self named genre title, yet they all fall into 'Sports' games, it's a lot easier.
Sun 30/06/02 at 16:29
Regular
"Stay Frosty"
Cipro's right, what genre would you put OFP in. It's not role play, not really FPS, so tell me, what is it. Jedi knight 2 is supposed to be FPS, but the lightsaber parts are best in 3rd person view. So, where does this go.

OFP has flight sim, tank sim, black ops, romance, murder, and elements of FPS's. So, this is an all round gamer. You don't need genre's, good all rounders are out there.
Sun 30/06/02 at 13:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
The big difference between FPS and wargames, is the realism. With FPS you can go round every level killing waves of bad guys and collecting health packs littered around the many levels when injured.

Wargames are realistic to a point where one shot from an enemy can kill. Players get fatigued when they run for long periods of time, guns don't fire in a complete straight line and the missions tend to be more tactical related rather than just 'go in and kill everyone'.

When I think of FPS, I think of face paced action games, with basic A.I. set around some good, but not great designed levels. Op Flashpoint is a slower paced game with a more tactical edge, meaning you have to think before you act, as apposed to acting without the need to think like in games such as MOH.

So wargames isn't a genre, but I will never consider titles such as OFP as a FPS, because the only thing these games have in common is the first person perspective viewpoint.
Sun 30/06/02 at 10:53
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
fps = First Person Shooter, it's not what the storyline is, it's how it's laid out, Wargame isn't a genre it's vague info about the storyline, you could say Red Alert is a war game, it is, but it's a strategy game and thats how it's classed.
You gonna say Zelda's a fantasy game more than a rpg?
Infact, you could say all games are rpgs but thats just silly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.