GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The RPG Daddy!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/06/02 at 19:37
Regular
Hey everyone, i was just thinking and i wondered, what is the best ever RPG, which one is the DADDY?

I am asking for the game and opinions, i don't just want people to say FF, but say FF7 as it had the most in depth story line.

I personally think that FF7 is the daddy asit has good graphics, for the time, the best story line ever and some great action! I am sure that most people will disagree but then i am sure that many will agree.

Within days i think a title will be crowned the daddy but i don't want an RPG series i want the game, i.e not Breath of Fire, but say Breath of Fire 3 or what ever.

Sir Auron
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:57
Regular
"Whatever!"
My favourites would have to be FFVII and FFVIII - I enjoyed Grandia 2 aswell on DC
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:52
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Sir Auron wrote:
> Hey everyone, i was just thinking and i wondered, what is the best
> ever RPG, which one is the DADDY?

I really should get around to answering this :)

The problem is, everyone will give differing opinions because we all like different things. Some like action-oriented RPGs (Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the PS2) and some like stat-oriented RPGs (Baldur's Gate II or Planescape: Torment on the PC) and some like a mixture (Final Fantasy X).

Then there's the die-hard D&D fans who'd say the boardgame rocks above all other formats.

Personally, although I will always hold Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast in high esteem for it's innovative storyline, unusual landscapes, sheer novelty and depth of involvement with the characters, I'd have to say that FFX just edges it. Ya?
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:49
Regular
"$hit happens"
ok thanx i may get it i aint sure?
*puts finger on chin and thinks*
i aint sure but thanx!!!
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:44
Regular
Sir Auron wrote:
> was Suidoken(dont know how to spell it) on the Psx, what is the plot
> as i never played them and if you two enjoyed them i am intrieged!
>
> So if you could please give me a small insite on the game i may
> purchase it!
> thanx

Here's the synopsis from RPGClassics.com:

"Once there was a hero named Barbarossa - “the Golden Empepor” - hero of The Scarlet Moon Empire. The day is silently drawing near. The 108 Stars of Destiny are gathering. The son of distinguished soldier Teo McDohl, one of the five Imperial Generals, lives without want for anything, surrounded by his attendant Gremio, his father’s servants Cleo and Pahn, and his best friend Ted. One day, Teo makes a trip to the north to protect his Empire and sees the world with his own eyes for the first time. A world filled with resentment toward the Empire awaits…

The Scarlet Moon Empire holds away over the tract of land surrounding Toran Lake. At the mouth of the river, where the waters of Toran Lake flow out into the ocean, lies the seat of the Empire, Gregminster. Lenankamp, the town of trade, is located to the south of Gregminster, while Mt. Seifu rises up in the east. Protecting the area around the Empire’s seat are the water fortress Shasarazade and the fortress Kwaba. In the south of the Empire sprawls the Great Forest. In the west are the Warrior’s Village and Lorimar, and the Dragon’s Den and Dragon Knights’ land. The border of the great wasteland to the North is the front-line to the Joston Confederation, a bitter ememy of the Empire.

In Suikoden, you can acquire up to 108 companions. As the game progresses, you will meet a great variety of characters. Some of them will join you party and others may not because certain conditions have not yet been fulfilled. Each character has it's own special ability and distinguishing characteristic. It is to your advantage to increase the number of your companions for strength in battle and for protecting your headquarters."

The best bits were collecting all 108 characters and building an HQ which got added to each time you acquired another character. Another great feature was that during battle if you used two specific characters together they could perform combo attacks dealing extra damage, and it was a huge task trying to work out which pairs of characters (or trios of characters for some combos), worked best.

Nowadays it would look quite dated running on a PS2, but the gameplay is still as great as ever so it's worth getting. I've just ordered Suikoden and Suikoden II from another site, I just hope the PS2 runs them OK as they were originally for the PSX.
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:37
Regular
"$hit happens"
* jumps up and down frantically as the search says nothing found!*

As i was unable to find anything on here can somebody please let me know about the two games and a site maybe where i can find info on them as SR does not have any!
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:34
Regular
Cool, found Suikoden II plus some IGN footage from E3 for the Suikoden III version coming out on the PS2.

*Starts downloads*
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:33
Regular
"$hit happens"
was Suidoken(dont know how to spell it) on the Psx, what is the plot as i never played them and if you two enjoyed them i am intrieged!

So if you could please give me a small insite on the game i may purchase it!
thanx
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:24
Regular
Wow, another Suikoden fan, thought there was only me and, erm, me. I didn't know Suikoden 2 had been released, was it on the PSX?

*runs off to do a websearch*
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:20
Regular
"$hit happens"
I am going to stick with FF7 and FF6 is good but i thought 7 was superior!

Pokemon red and blue, both good i think too but no where near FF7
Wed 26/06/02 at 18:00
Regular
"Selected"
Suikoden (the original) because it had over 150 playable characters....no fooling.... OVER 150. And you only got the good ending if you found them all.....Suikoden 2 was pretty sweet as well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.