GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Problem with the X-box"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 21/06/02 at 23:56
Regular
Ok now the X-box has arrived and had a little time to pick up speed. Unfortunately despite alot of talk about shifting consoles the X-box is not selling paticulary well, especially in the UK.

In my personal opinion there are a number of reasons for this which i feel Mr. Bill Gates needs to address before the X-box can turn into the success that he has hoped for.

The Price

Ok This has got to be the biggest problem with the microsoft bad boy. I am not putting anything against the console because i think it has possibly the most potential of all of the next generation consoles. It is the fasted the most powerful and has a top notch DVD player not to mention the memory meaning no memory cards are needed as there is next to an infinite amount of save space. However despite the excellent potential it posesses the console itself is still not worth the £300 price mark they gave on release, even after the drop to £200 it is still struggling because basically who is going to pay that kind of money for something that does not blow away the competition. The games are not too expensive, about average however with the need of a dvd remote to use the dvd feature the cost of the original price soon rises. The competition is too strong for such a price.

The Games

Lets face it this is what you buy a console. Sure you can get 84 controller ports, a 67 dvd disc changer, puker cd player and more tools than a swiss army knife but if you havent got the games to back it up what is the point in being able to even cook ya toast in ya console eh?

It is unfortunate that in the most important factor of the console the X-box fails miserably at present. The only 3 big sellers they had on launch day were

Dead or Alive 3
Project Gotham Racing
and Halo

and lets be honest Gotham Racing while a good game is not on the same level as GT3.. Dead of Alive 3 another classic beat em up but with virtua Fighter 4 now out and Tekken 4 around the corner it just does not have the same appeal. And Halo the supposed best game of the year. While a fantastic first person shooter is heavily overated purely because it was the one major selling point of the X-box and the only "original" big hitting game they had.

I say "original" because the X-box's line up is not at all original now is it, i mean not only are the games they are bringing out not THAT impressive they are not even original. In fact 90% of microsofts games are ported from other consoles or originally planned for another console.

Halo ----> originally a PC game
Dead or Alive 3 ----> DoA2 on PS2
SSX Tricky ---> PS2
Crazy Taxi ----->PS2, DC
Champ Manager -----> PC
Munch's Odsesee(sp) ------ Oringally PS2

Am i making my point yet! the Xbox is relying heavily on the games they are bringing over from other formats. The lineup is just not strong enough and with games like

Return to castle wolfenstein
Unreal Championship

The 2 huge games coming out being pc games and first person shooters. The console needs some huge original games and alot more variety. They are getting killed on the market at the moment. They need more games like Halo and the likes of Panza Dragoon to stay in the console war.

Lets hope Bill pulls his socks up because the Xbox has the potential to be great and altho i still think gates is being greedy trying to conquer another world good luck to him hes got his work cut out.

Online?

Possibly another big selling point of the Xbox was the online gaming, well now E3 is over and the plans have been revealed the UK are getting a raw deal. The Xboxs online plans are being used with broadband and with alot of the UK not able to get broadband at the present time it means we are not all able to play online meaning less profit for microsoft and a lot of annoyed british gamers.

What are everyones views.

THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND I USUALLY TALK RUBBISH SO....

-Omega-
Mon 24/06/02 at 23:51
Why do people take opinions so personally we are not insulting you becoz u bort an Xbox cant every1 just calm down
Mon 24/06/02 at 23:21
Regular
Criticising something that you say is not insulting you, oh I give up you really are beyond help.
Mon 24/06/02 at 19:59
Regular
Thats your opinion of me, you don't see me all the time and I do hold my hand up and say when I am wrong. Yes I should have stated when I got the release calendar but I didn't, I don't think it really matters becuaseI have been playing one for 7 months now and I know about the games. You can not say I don't know about them as I play them, read about them and discuss them, mainly Xbox but I do look at stuff on the GameCube and PS2 as well. You are contradicting yourself now as you are saying you are not insulting me and then in the next sentence telling me I can not take critisim, make up your mind?
Mon 24/06/02 at 19:42
Regular
I'm not insulting you Garbe i'm just saying you can't take any criticism. There's no point in having a discussion with you cause as far you're concerned, you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Mon 24/06/02 at 19:26
Regular
savatt1668 wrote:
> Wookie - seeing as your into the likes of GTA and The Getaway, you
> might wanna keep an eye on a title called True Crime : Streets Of LA.
> Its coming out on X-Box in Spring 2003 apparently. Awhile away yet
> but it still clicks as being something you'll like.

Got a terrible rating on IGN so I will be avioding that one. Check it out though and see what you think.

As for you Tiltawhirl I would rather have nothing more to with you as we don't get on, stop insulting me and no I won't go away and shut up I have a right to be wherever I want and no weasel like you will tell me anything different. I own the console of this forum, I am not saying you can't come here because everyone is welcome, one thing I wouldn't do is go into the GameCube forum and argue with a console that I do not have. For all you love the GameCube you spend an awful lot of time in here ranting about other consoles! Maybe a sign?
Mon 24/06/02 at 17:58
Regular
That's multi-format, well at least I know it's coming out for Cube.
Mon 24/06/02 at 17:52
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Wookie - seeing as your into the likes of GTA and The Getaway, you might wanna keep an eye on a title called True Crime : Streets Of LA. Its coming out on X-Box in Spring 2003 apparently. Awhile away yet but it still clicks as being something you'll like.
Mon 24/06/02 at 16:58
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> The Getaway
> GTA: Vice City/Miami
> Aliens: Colonial Marines
> Ratchet & Clank (remember I also said I might get Xbox Blinx)
> Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkeness
> Onimusha 2
> Stuntman
> Driver 3
> Terminator (also on Xbox, I know)
> Primal
> Vexx (also on Xbox I believe)
> Timesplitters 2 (multiplatform)
> Devil May Cry 2
> Reign of Fire (possibly)
> Red Faction 2
> Prisoner of War

That's a good list - even though I'd say my personal XBOX list is stronger, it's all about personal taste at the end of the day.

Are you aware of a game called Project Zero [or Fatal Frame] coming out on PS2?
I'll be getting that one - my brother has a PS2 you see and every now and then I buy the odd PS2 title.... Ico was the last one I bought.
Mon 24/06/02 at 14:03
"High polygon count"
savatt1668 wrote:
> Out of the ones you named, these are the titles that will be coming to
> X-Box...

That's why I said I knew some were!

The thing is, many will appear on PS2 first, so that's where I'll get them. If they appear elsewhere first (Xbox/Gamecube) I may well get those versions instead.

However, none of these titles were listed in the previous posts. And these are the titles I'm interested in.

Also, I doubt Primal will appear anywhere else, as it's being developed by SCEE. There may be something with a similar name, though.
Mon 24/06/02 at 13:06
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Out of the ones you named, these are the titles that will be coming to X-Box...

Onimusha 2
Driver 3 (apparently)
Terminator
Vexx
Timesplitters 2
Reign of Fire
Red Faction 2
Prisoner of War

Primal rings a bell too although I may be wrong and I think there was something about an Aliens game coming to X-Box too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.