GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do we pay more than the American's or Japanese?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 03/11/00 at 20:55
Regular
You know what i'm sick of splashing out cash on computer hardware and games whereas i see my american and japanese counterparts spending their measly pocket change. This is a farce not only do we european gamers get everything last but for some reason we have to pay the most. i think we must have done something wrong (I bet it was tony blair the guy gets to everyone) nobody seems to like us. An example of this is the playstation2 we pay £299 for the normal package whereas americans pay $299 (roughly equating to £200) a whopping £100 difference. Our games are all high compared to the other continents, someone in America musn't realise that changing a dollar sign for a pound sign isn't converting money (DUH!!!). RARE (being the great company it is) is british based OK well why don't they at least try to release a game in their home first instead of wasting time sending it abroad before finally reaching us. You people tell me what you think this whole situation? personally i think its a disgrace as we play games as much as the next yank and japanese person.
Sun 05/11/00 at 13:12
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Its easy to say about stopping people buying it to try and get prices lowered, but there are too many people that will want a console on its release date. Its the obvious solution but personally i can't see enough people doing such a thing that will affect sales.
The fact that Sony have these budget games shows they can drop the price if they wanted to be fairer to us. Its not just Sony either, look at certain N64 titles - even certain Dreamcast titles that have dropped to around £20. Kind of underlines all the pathetic excuses they come up with out of having "no choice" but to charge us extortionate amounts around the £50 mark.
Sun 05/11/00 at 12:00
Minidisc (MEDIA) is actually getting cheaper now..I saw 3 for £5 in HMV this weekend.
Right now the VideoGames entertainment industry is worth more than The Hollywood Movie industry...I would like to see people paying the same for a game as a DVD video, about £20.
We can at least, be Thankful that now budget ranges are out for most systems the PSX budget ranges are of particularly good value. Games are getting cheaper, and with more competition (ie X Box) the prices are likely to stay low.
There is no excuse for charging so much for a new games system, but the companys know theyll have a limited stock at release and they know that theirs enough rich/stupid people to buy them all. The only way to stop the price rip off is to stop those people buying them.
Personally Ild buy a PS1, N64, or Dreamcast with some cheap games..then when the Playstation 2 drops in price in April next year Ill buy a Playstation2.
Sat 04/11/00 at 22:09
My mum doesn't buy me any games or stuff like that anymore, cos she says it's too expensive.

I don't see why we have to pay so much for the stuff we get over here. Yes taxes are nasty, I mean, take petrol for example. The Americans pay the equivalent of something like 20p for each litre of their petrol, whereas we pay like 80p. It's really quite unfair. Do they think that we are all millionaires? I am definattely not. I think it's all the governments fault. If they don't put the price of stuff down (either by making taxes cheaper or something) then I won't be able to buy 'The World is Not Enough' for the N64, when it comes out...and I won't be very happy.

The Japanease make most of the games for console, they make the damn consoles too, so I think that's why it's cheaper to buy things over there, and the shipping expenses aren't as much to the USA, cos it isn't as far away....so it is logical why we have to pay so much. But, couldn't they make it just a little cheaper?

It's the consoles that are the most expensive thing though, the games aren't as expensive. Like the Playstation, and the PS2, they have discs. Discs are cheaper to make than cartridges. Thats the only thing I hate about the N64, the cartridges, they are so expensive. I want to buy a minidisc, but thats too expensive too.

All we'll hav too do, is wait a couple of years, then evrything will be cheaper. But then, new stuff with new technology will be out won't it?

And we'll want that....
Sat 04/11/00 at 19:24
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Hey and what better time to start plotting the bombing of parliament huh ? ;-)) Just don't get caught - I hear they have the habit of giving you the hung, drawn and quartered treatment ;-)
Sat 04/11/00 at 19:22
Regular
I'm sorry, but I lost control of my guided missile when I tried, and we hit the bloody MI5 building.

(Of all the buildings... damn typical isn't it.)

Sods law, I suppose.
Sat 04/11/00 at 19:11
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Tax, tax, tax if you want it cheaper blow up the govenment, Tony blair should make things cheaper, but apparently we have got one of the lowest taxes in the world(apparently) this does not include America as everything is cheap to us as it's $1.5 to every £1! add it up and it becomes cheap. $300 is £200!
Sat 04/11/00 at 16:35
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Why do the companies do this to us ? Because they can get away with it ! They blame it on taxes but really they just seem to like taking us for idiots.
Thing is we love and want our games like anyone else so we end up giving in to them. Funny how they say they can't sell games cheaper to us then release these "Platinum" versions which are suddenly half the price of what the game was. Of course they need to get the money back it took to create the game, etc but surely their sales in the U.S and Japan tend to cover those expenses too so why should we foot the majority of the bill ?? I don't see how they can use the language translation excuse when it has been released in the U.S beforehand (not to mention with the yanks still being given a good price). Theres also the NTSC to PAL converting that they use as an excuse - oh of course ! Thats more than enough reason to double our price tag ! Anyone notice a hint of sarcasm ?
Its about time Sony and the rest gave us a break, we deserve better then what we get. If we're paying all this money then maybe we should be getting the games and consoles before Japan and the U.S !
Sat 04/11/00 at 16:25
Thanks all of you for letting me know i'm not the only one who think this whole thing sux!!!
Sat 04/11/00 at 15:18
Regular
"I like cheese"
I don't like to insult the company I'm getting my console from, but I also very annoyed about this. Why do the bl**dy Yanks get it cheaper??? No offence to any Americans out here, though.
Sat 04/11/00 at 13:52
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
if you want to pay American/japanese prices, why not change your money at the exchange and buy it on import? your probably too young to have to pay tax on it so you'll save yourself a pretty penny.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.