GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sonyphiles and their beloved Machine..........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/06/02 at 00:02
Regular
PS2.
Now what has the PS2 really and truly going for it now?
Metal Gear Substance Hmm?
Well possibly, that's if you don't have the truly excellent MGS2 though.
But then there is Devil May Cry 2, all those pointless Mario Clones that will never succeed in Bettering Mario Sunshine such as Ratchet and Clank, because lets face it Mario Sunshine WILL be good, great in fact, Miyamoto is on Full Time with this one.
But really, think about it now of any other release that is a genuine buy will also be on Gamecube and Xbox. And when that happens we get better visuals with the GC and Xbox so why bother with PS2 versions?
And its been done before- Burnout it is Visually Better on GC than it is on PS2. Like- oooh so many others.......
Which brings me onto the PS2 graphics, they are sub standard!
The Majority of Games are very washed out looking- GTA3 for one and most have Jagged Edges too, plus the Flickering is appalling in some games.
Face it Sonyphiles, out of the three consoles that is out there the PS2 is the worst in terms of Visuals. The best in Visuals has to be the Gamecube followed by the Xbox. Im not being biased either, but its what I have seen and witnessed and played on EACH system to form that opinion, I own each system and take a very un-biased approach to each, if a game looks crap or plays crap ill not be afraid to say to others that it is crap, full stop.

Then we have the PS2 Controller, which is quite frankly against the other three consoles ranking Number two next to the Mighty Comfortable Gamecube effort. Having Nintendo ideas welded onto the Dual Shock (And inside the Plastic thing) it still gets a little too un-comfortable, which is shocking given where the ideas come from, the left analogue stick is awkwardly placed- fidgety and a pain. And the Analogue buttons are useless.

But lets ask one thing...A beloved machine? yes by countless millions, is the mightey PS2!.
It is only in the position it is now due to its older brother and its older brother was only successful because of Nintendo.
It is loved and cherished for all the wrong reasons, many people out there who stick by it are just too biased, too darn built up with their own mystic fantasies of it that they refuse to sample the delights of any other system. These same people, which the majority are teens, not the Teens that Sony claim to be aiming for but Children! Little children and older children. They have all got it into their head that the PS2 is the best thing ever created, they are the same people who's first console was the PS and never owned a non-Sony console in their life, which makes them blinkered even further.
Nintendo on the other hand have an average age group of 23 who own Gamecube's, consider that. And the Nintendo players have a long history with the company.
Sonyphiles, open your eyes. Sample the delights that is out there that hasn't a Sony Logo on it. You see, what I think is that Sonyphiles are afraid to do that, afraid to sample other machines to spend hours and nights and days on the greats of the XBox and GC in case they are drawn from the Sickly Beloved PS2's and realising there is better out there...by a mile!.
Am I right?
Mon 24/06/02 at 20:17
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
And the PS2 has a wider variety in games, and on average all its games are great!...which really can't be said of the Xbox! GameCube, maybe, but not the Xbox.

The PS2 is the perfect console in my eye. The pads are comfy, the console itself looks "cool" and all games made have the potential to be brilliant!

It may not be as powerful as the GameCube or X-box, but Anti-Sony people just beware the PS3's wrath!

*!RAAAAAAH!*
Mon 24/06/02 at 19:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Because the PS2 has lots of other neat tricks that take work away from the main CPU.
Mon 24/06/02 at 13:24
Regular
Yeah. Maths is really "cool"! :-D

Anyway, seeing as the Gamecube and Xbox processors have almost double the PS2's capacity, how does this maths work (in laymans terms please - I'm not so hot with technical terms).
Mon 24/06/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
However, one thing the PS2 DOES excel on is maths. Due to the way it's designed, it has more processing power to give to maths than the GameCube abd the Xbox, allowing for more convincing physics, more options for gameplay and generally more "coolness".
Fri 21/06/02 at 22:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
But I have not seen much else that performs that well on PS2.........
Fri 21/06/02 at 14:54
"High polygon count"
Strafex wrote:
> In actual games, the PS2's poly count is meant to be generally lower
> than the Gc's, although I've not quite been keeping up with technical
> reports.

Gran Turismo 3 - 20 million polys. Which according to Polyphony after running it through Sony's Performance Analyzer software, "barely touches the sides" of what the machine can do.
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:05
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
SMÉAGOL wrote:
> In the future we will not likely see Polygons at all.
> Sony claims to have something new for the PS2 successor.

They said this about the PS2? It was meant to use NURBS to produce games instead of full on polys? Never did happen...
Fri 21/06/02 at 11:03
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I remember a game - was before the PS1, maybe Amiga or ST - it was designed around eliptoids rather than polygons.
Can't for the life of me remember any more details. Can anyone else?
Wed 19/06/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> Technically the PS2 is inferior - on paper at least.
>
> Not in all areas, though. More polys on PS2. But games obviously
> aren't all about polygons.

In the future we will not likely see Polygons at all.
Sony claims to have something new for the PS2 successor.
Wed 19/06/02 at 18:33
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Strafex wrote:
> WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
>
> Not in all areas, though. More polys on PS2. But games obviously
> aren't all about polygons.
>
> The PS2's poly count was done through raw tests.
> The GC's 12 million was what Nintendo expected the average develloper
> to manage (some of the better ones have managed to push it up to 15
> million).
>
> In actual games, the PS2's poly count is meant to be generally lower
> than the Gc's, although I've not quite been keeping up with technical
> reports.

Quite true.
I'd love to see what the PS2 could do with Super Smash Bros Melee, a game on the GC that looks better than anything on Sony's machine.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.