GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sonyphiles and their beloved Machine..........."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 10/06/02 at 00:02
Regular
PS2.
Now what has the PS2 really and truly going for it now?
Metal Gear Substance Hmm?
Well possibly, that's if you don't have the truly excellent MGS2 though.
But then there is Devil May Cry 2, all those pointless Mario Clones that will never succeed in Bettering Mario Sunshine such as Ratchet and Clank, because lets face it Mario Sunshine WILL be good, great in fact, Miyamoto is on Full Time with this one.
But really, think about it now of any other release that is a genuine buy will also be on Gamecube and Xbox. And when that happens we get better visuals with the GC and Xbox so why bother with PS2 versions?
And its been done before- Burnout it is Visually Better on GC than it is on PS2. Like- oooh so many others.......
Which brings me onto the PS2 graphics, they are sub standard!
The Majority of Games are very washed out looking- GTA3 for one and most have Jagged Edges too, plus the Flickering is appalling in some games.
Face it Sonyphiles, out of the three consoles that is out there the PS2 is the worst in terms of Visuals. The best in Visuals has to be the Gamecube followed by the Xbox. Im not being biased either, but its what I have seen and witnessed and played on EACH system to form that opinion, I own each system and take a very un-biased approach to each, if a game looks crap or plays crap ill not be afraid to say to others that it is crap, full stop.

Then we have the PS2 Controller, which is quite frankly against the other three consoles ranking Number two next to the Mighty Comfortable Gamecube effort. Having Nintendo ideas welded onto the Dual Shock (And inside the Plastic thing) it still gets a little too un-comfortable, which is shocking given where the ideas come from, the left analogue stick is awkwardly placed- fidgety and a pain. And the Analogue buttons are useless.

But lets ask one thing...A beloved machine? yes by countless millions, is the mightey PS2!.
It is only in the position it is now due to its older brother and its older brother was only successful because of Nintendo.
It is loved and cherished for all the wrong reasons, many people out there who stick by it are just too biased, too darn built up with their own mystic fantasies of it that they refuse to sample the delights of any other system. These same people, which the majority are teens, not the Teens that Sony claim to be aiming for but Children! Little children and older children. They have all got it into their head that the PS2 is the best thing ever created, they are the same people who's first console was the PS and never owned a non-Sony console in their life, which makes them blinkered even further.
Nintendo on the other hand have an average age group of 23 who own Gamecube's, consider that. And the Nintendo players have a long history with the company.
Sonyphiles, open your eyes. Sample the delights that is out there that hasn't a Sony Logo on it. You see, what I think is that Sonyphiles are afraid to do that, afraid to sample other machines to spend hours and nights and days on the greats of the XBox and GC in case they are drawn from the Sickly Beloved PS2's and realising there is better out there...by a mile!.
Am I right?
Tue 25/06/02 at 12:15
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'm not sure if it can do true multitasking. It's a big thing not to mention and I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Still, all it means is big tasks don't lock up the CPU, in a gaming environment I really doubt this would make much difference. In my opinion, true multitasking is overrated. Only when you actually have 2 CPUs does it because anything like substantially faster. And it doesn't make the GameCube's CPU run any faster.
Tue 25/06/02 at 09:42
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Basically, the PS2's CPU is a really good CPU, doing more work per
> clock than the average processor. This is how an AMD XP2000+ (running
> at 1.66ghz) beats the pants off a Pentium 4 2.2ghz chip. Plus, the PS2
> is designed to reduce data bottlenecks dramatically AND has 2 extra
> processors, called VU0 and VU1, to handle vector processing, something
> usually handled by the CPU.

The N64 contained two vector units and it wasn't until Perfect Dark, that these were used. This was mainly because no one know how to! This was one of the early problems with the PS2 hardware as non of the developers knew how to channel into the VU0 and VO1.

>This allows it to perform more floating
> point operations per second than the GameCube and Xbox, which means it
> can make more calculations related to the actual game, and not the
> graphics. The example, G-surfers, generates terrain data and
> proceedural textures on the fly from US miltary data, as opposed to
> pulling maps off the RAM. Blaze have said they don't think they can
> get the GameCube to do it, or at least, not as well.

Possibly not as well, but the GC CPU is modelled on the Velocity Engine which is capable of true multi tasking which I assume would allow it to perform difficult multiple tasks at once? Any way, who cares as long as i get my mario:-)
Tue 25/06/02 at 01:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
SMÉAGOL wrote:
> Turbonutter wrote:
> No, it makes them play better. Eg, you can make games for the PS2
> that
> you can't for others, and we're not talking about graphics here.
>
> One example is G-surfers.
>
>
> Explain how.

Basically, the PS2's CPU is a really good CPU, doing more work per clock than the average processor. This is how an AMD XP2000+ (running at 1.66ghz) beats the pants off a Pentium 4 2.2ghz chip. Plus, the PS2 is designed to reduce data bottlenecks dramatically AND has 2 extra processors, called VU0 and VU1, to handle vector processing, something usually handled by the CPU. This allows it to perform more floating point operations per second than the GameCube and Xbox, which means it can make more calculations related to the actual game, and not the graphics. The example, G-surfers, generates terrain data and proceedural textures on the fly from US miltary data, as opposed to pulling maps off the RAM. Blaze have said they don't think they can get the GameCube to do it, or at least, not as well.
Mon 24/06/02 at 22:50
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
No one will really win this argument yes.
Bias-ism is a problem you see, people as I've stated are too darn afraid to admit of another consoles potential, it is truly weird and quite sad.

Why do people behave in such a way? it's only a console for playing games. I can understand that people have been used to a certain manufacturer and feel more at home with their systems because of this, but taking this "Fanboy" approach is really nonsense and a total joke. Hear that Sonyphiles? ; )
And the other sad fact is that when you explain to these so-called fan boys on both sides- Nintendo and Playstation that they are wrong in certain areas, or they are talking nonsense- they dismiss you- call you a "Ninty" or a "Sonyphile" and disregard anything you say.
I've tried on occasions to tell people that the PS2 isn't that great of a console, but im ridiculed for saying that, I even stated once that the Gamecube hadn't the usual AAA Titles upon release that Nintendo usually offer and I was shot down on that too.
Heck, can you ever win?.
I own a PS2 with 15 games, N64 with (I think)52, I own a PSOne with 43, DC with 26, Gamecube with 5 and X-Box with 3, not to mention my games for the GBA and GB plus the Super Nes, Megadrive, Saturn, Spectrum, NES and of course the Master System, it's Years of experience I have!. Geez I would at-least call myself not Biased.
I stated many times that Nintendo make the best games...and so they do.
I stated Numerous times that the PS2 is a load of Dung in many ways....and in my opinion, so it is.
MGS2 is wonderful, I love It, I've said that too. I've also said that the Gamecube's Super Smash Bros is visually spectacular that no game on the Playstation 2 can match it in that terms.

I'll not back down on saying that the Gamecube is the best console for the better games for the long term future and from that "thee" console to own.
But yet, these aren't Fan Boy remarks, it's what "I" feel is the best and what isn't, I consider myself to be impartial in that way.
My opinions here, will naturally be slated by a number of Fanboy's, thats the main reason I posted, It's fun reading what they have to say and it is equally fun taking them down a peg or two and showing them a perspective that is the pure truth, that they shun themselves from and avoid.
Its Humourous and also "quite weird" the way they get on. But it'll never change, as long as we have more than one system.
Mon 24/06/02 at 22:07
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Each to his own I say.
No one will ever win this argument. Some people have the gift of approaching this market with no bias at all, and they are truly the ones who decide which console is most successful.
I am sure that most people cannot afford two consoles, so they have to stick with one, and so they will try and persuade themselves that they made the correct purchasing choice.
This is perhaps why everyone with only one console will try and persuade evryone that they made the best choice.
Perhaps we shouldn't worry about which system is best, because in the end, this doesn't matter, it is the console which is the most successful which will determine the way the industry goes in the next few years.
At the moment, though it seems to me that most old-skool gamers are going with the GC, as they can see it's potential, and remember Nintendo from back in the NES and SNES days.
It is true that the most popular console of the "tweens" is the PS2, because "all their mates have it", and it is really "cool".
Perhaps the console which was bought by the most people is the best, but maybe the console with the highest polygon count is the best, or perhaps it's the one who sells the most games.
Oh, and by the way, the Delta Force series on the PC uses voxels instead of polygons, and we can all see how badly that turned out, so we should all stick to polygons. For the time being, anyway
Mon 24/06/02 at 21:58
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> No, it makes them play better. Eg, you can make games for the PS2 that
> you can't for others, and we're not talking about graphics here.
>
> One example is G-surfers.

Explain how.
Mon 24/06/02 at 21:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, it makes them play better. Eg, you can make games for the PS2 that you can't for others, and we're not talking about graphics here.

One example is G-surfers.
Mon 24/06/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> However, one thing the PS2 DOES excel on is maths. Due to the way it's
> designed, it has more processing power to give to maths than the
> GameCube abd the Xbox, allowing for more convincing physics, more
> options for gameplay and generally more "coolness".

What PS2 games have we seen this in, that makes it look better than anything we've saw on Gamecube and X-Box?
Mon 24/06/02 at 20:49
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Because the PS2 has lots of other neat tricks that take work away from
> the main CPU.

So does the Gamecube and X-Box. Big Deal.
Mon 24/06/02 at 20:48
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Posh Kid wrote:
> And the PS2 has a wider variety in games, and on average all its games
> are great!...which really can't be said of the Xbox! GameCube, maybe,
> but not the Xbox.
>
> The PS2 is the perfect console in my eye. The pads are comfy, the
> console itself looks "cool" and all games made have the
> potential to be brilliant!
>
> It may not be as powerful as the GameCube or X-box, but Anti-Sony
> people just beware the PS3's wrath!
>
>
> *!RAAAAAAH!*

Ok lets say that since Nintendo is strongly hinting at making no more Games Consoles after Gamecube is finished but instead- PS2/X-Box like-Entertainment Consoles, just beware of the Gamecube 2 wrath!
: )
That makes sense doesn't it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.