GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So the Xbox is supposed to be a PC in a box huh?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/06/02 at 22:25
Regular
What about the PS2 then?

Let's look at the evidence, shall we?

1. Sony released updated drivers for the DVD remote. Excuse me?! If UPDATING DRIVERS isn't a PC thing, then I don't know what is!

2. You can buy LINUX for your PS2. This is just beyond belief. You can buy:

Linux (for PlayStation 2) version 1.0 software
Monitor Cable Adaptor
Internal Hard Disc Drive (40 GB)
Network Adaptor (Ethernet) [10/100 Base-T]
USB Keyboard & USB Mouse (for PlayStation 2)

Check out: http://www.us.playstation.com /product_detail/product_detail.jhtml?PRODID =337933&CATID=490 (SPACE!)

if you don't believe me.

Which console is nearest to a PC now, eh?

:-D
Sun 09/06/02 at 13:35
Regular
Thing is, is the the GC as cheap as it first seems?

£130 + memory card + modem expansion = Not far off £199.

*Tries to keep things stiring :-D *
Sun 09/06/02 at 13:21
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Ant wrote:
> I'm sorry, but if Animal Crossing is as good as its title then I would
> expect even NOM to give it 60% at the most. :D

Never judge a book by it's cover! And err....never judge a game by it's title. People learnt that lesson when they played games like 'Kuru Kuru Kuru Kuru Kuru Kuru Kuru Kuru Kuru Mix', 'Samba Di Amigo' and 'Goldeneye 007' (it doesn't make sense! Think about it - "Satellite James Bond" It's stupid!)

Did NOM not give that 405,838,605% anyway? :-D
Sun 09/06/02 at 13:20
Regular
Starlight wrote:
> I love you guys

Backs to the walls guys I think we got a shirt lifter...
Sun 09/06/02 at 13:09
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I love you guys
Sun 09/06/02 at 11:52
Regular
"I like cheese"
I'm sorry, but if Animal Crossing is as good as its title then I would expect even NOM to give it 60% at the most. :D

I agree with one of your earlier comments, about how Nintendo use all their 'wisdom' to leave out something which is supposedly pointless, and then install a handle on the GC. :D
Sun 09/06/02 at 11:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The only reason Sony are saying this is because all they're intrested
> in is the power of their consoles, they haven't stopped for one minute
> and thought that maybe it's the games that matter and not how many
> polygons and thingumy watsits their console can push around on
> screen.

Of course... they develop the console... its up to games developers to create the interesting and ionnovative games... Its important that Hardware developers concentrate on hardware, and software developers concentrae on software...

> What exactly does the X-Box bring? other than an almost useless
> hard-drive and massive plans for online gaming which really are never
> going to take off in this country. Do you really think it's wise for
> Microsoft to be putting all its proverbial eggs in one basket? the
> majority of casual gamers are going to have no intrest in the online
> plans. UK gamers will have to not only pay broadband fees which is
> enough money on its own but they will also have to pay Microsoft a
> monthly subscription.

I'm not sure how you can consider a HDD to be an almost useless add-on. It is, as any PC owner will tell you, an essential component... That its not being used as yet (Which seems to be remisant of PS2 owners statements for its first 1-2 years) I think its clear that developers are starting to develop ideas with the HDD in mind (something they can do with a clear concious on for the X-Box)... Itis an important development for consoles and has the potential to complelty reinvent the way games are developed?

Further... I dont think MS are really targeting their on-line capabilities directly at the UK (or even eurpean) market. Whether it takes off or fails in the UK won't be the fault of MS, but rather BT (and British gamers). I dont think MS should be blamed for trying to push gaming forward? ... Maybe they are trying to get a head start in the Area, Sony already have al large on-line gaming presence (Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies come to mind) and are intending to concentrate on on-line gaming with the PS3.

It seems Nintendo are the only company to have doubts over on-line gaming... Which should come as no surprise given its stanch 'traditional' console stance... Though given its ever expanding userbase (wasnt I reading a story about how its stated to become genuinly massive?)?
Sun 09/06/02 at 10:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No...
Sun 09/06/02 at 10:38
Regular
Turbonutter wrote:
> Whitestripes wrote:
> Tell me something TN, why are you so sadly desperate for the
> GameCube
> to fail?
>
>
> What the hell gave you that idea? I really don't mind Nintendo at all.

You hate Nintendo... right... don't ruin the fantasy.
Sun 09/06/02 at 03:03
"High polygon count"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The only reason Sony are saying this

It was said, before the launch and based on the specs. Maybe they were a little concerned, as no-one knew how Xbox would sell.

However, more recent reports are again stating a 2004/5 release, which is back to the 'normal' 4 or 5 year cycle. Obviously they'll keep an eye on things, but I don't think they're as concerned as maybe they once were.
Sun 09/06/02 at 02:34
Regular
"Selected"
I love ninty me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.