GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"So the Xbox is supposed to be a PC in a box huh?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/06/02 at 22:25
Regular
What about the PS2 then?

Let's look at the evidence, shall we?

1. Sony released updated drivers for the DVD remote. Excuse me?! If UPDATING DRIVERS isn't a PC thing, then I don't know what is!

2. You can buy LINUX for your PS2. This is just beyond belief. You can buy:

Linux (for PlayStation 2) version 1.0 software
Monitor Cable Adaptor
Internal Hard Disc Drive (40 GB)
Network Adaptor (Ethernet) [10/100 Base-T]
USB Keyboard & USB Mouse (for PlayStation 2)

Check out: http://www.us.playstation.com /product_detail/product_detail.jhtml?PRODID =337933&CATID=490 (SPACE!)

if you don't believe me.

Which console is nearest to a PC now, eh?

:-D
Mon 10/06/02 at 11:01
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
er-no wrote:
> I love you guys.

He does you know, literally
Mon 10/06/02 at 01:49
Regular
"everyone says it"
I love you guys.
Sun 09/06/02 at 15:26
quick ey one go to 'what does sony do after ps2'forum because there is news that they are .............
Sun 09/06/02 at 15:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well the Dreamcast didn't have as much support for online gaming (i.e - games), plus the modem wasn't all that great so lag became a problem.

As for your question on what I'd prefer out of online gaming and multiplayer - I actually like both, but in certain cases, I prefer online gaming. I don't want to just play the same few people all the time and with the headset, players will be able to communicate a lot better which is better than typing messages on a keyboard (another thing you had to do with the Dreamcast).

Personally I think online gaming IS the future of gaming, or at least one of the routes to take. What are Nintendo doing as far as the future of gaming goes ? Sod all basically. Linking the Gameboy Advance to the GC isn't really a massive step.
Sun 09/06/02 at 15:15
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Online gaming will never take off in this country, well at least not
> for the foreeable future and I don't see it taking off in Japan
> either. Casual gamers will have no intrest in this sort of set-up and
> that's the core audience for most consoles, I think Microsoft are
> making the wrong decision putting all this money into online gaming.
> Just look at the Dreamcast, it was ready to go online from the minute
> you got it out of the box and that didn't take off did it?

I seem to remember people saying pretty much the same thing about E-Mail and Mobile phones???
Sun 09/06/02 at 15:02
Regular
Nintendo put the expansion port there just incase at a later date they decide to add a modem, they don't think that online gaming is the future of gaming well not for now at least. I have to say I agree with them, what would you rather do? pay a monthly fee and the cost of broadband to play online games against faceless apponents over the other side of the world or get your mates round and play multiplayer in your front room.

Online gaming will never take off in this country, well at least not for the foreeable future and I don't see it taking off in Japan either. Casual gamers will have no intrest in this sort of set-up and that's the core audience for most consoles, I think Microsoft are making the wrong decision putting all this money into online gaming. Just look at the Dreamcast, it was ready to go online from the minute you got it out of the box and that didn't take off did it?
Sun 09/06/02 at 14:32
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thing is, if not for Sega, Nintendo probably wouldn't have even bothered with the port to add the modem. Apparently Sega managed to persuade them to do it.

I think the X-Box is great for the price. Think someone worked out that you'd have to spend like £30,000 on PS2 memory cards to get the same amount of space as the X-Box hard drive and as most (excluding the ones that just don't listen) know, the X-Box hard drive can be used for more than saving games and helping loading times.

My friend bought a third party GC memory card and it screwed up within a week. I never touch third party stuff like that cause I don't trust the reliability. So the price does soon add up on the GC when it comes to game saves. YH also mentioned the modem too which of course will add more on top. Mind you with the lack of any online support on the way to the GC, its probably a waste of time to buy the modem anyway.
Sun 09/06/02 at 14:07
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Well, better safe that sorry, eh?

But safe is boring! Skydiving with a parachute.....where's the fun in that?!
Sun 09/06/02 at 13:55
Regular
Vottanator wrote:
> Can you even get a modem for the GC yet?

Nope.

Nintendo are so against internet play, that they left an expansion slot for a modem. Strange that, eh?

:-D
Sun 09/06/02 at 13:52
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Can you even get a modem for the GC yet?

Well:

130 - console
20 - Memory Card (massive Datel one)
35 - game
15 - door slab

200 quid for everything the X-Box has *cough* except for modem, hardrive and DVD player *cough*

By the way, what exactly is a door slab? :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.