GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"want a website making"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/05/02 at 13:42
Regular
would you like a website making you tell me what about ill make it there is a fee
Sun 26/05/02 at 12:02
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
funkygamer wrote:
> I have asked my new accountant to set up a proper company for me. I'm
> moving into the new house next week. Once the company is all set up
> and I'm settled and I have my company broadband line fitted (not for
> work, for UT fragging of course ;) ), I will let you know. I have
> been thinking about writing a brief!

...Ecellent, a brief... I like breifs (hate creating functional Specs though!!) I'm all set up at home now and in the light of my wife becoming pregnant, I'm definately up for some homework as I intend to reduce my hours at work at some point!

> It doesn't help that I might be about to be made redundant, and
> developer jobs in Leeds are pretty scarce unless you want to earn
> 12-15k.

Christ!! We're looking for developers starting on about £30k+ and things seem to be looking up in the south in the job market at the mo, and if it wasn't for my whacking great payrise this onth, i'd probably be going else where!!

With you regards to your warning... I have the security of being part os an in-house design team and or work is pretty much gurabteed as we are uniqu in what we offerint he publishing world... We made 12 million last year!! (profit of about 6million!!). but your right, check out the details before signing anything.. Domnio Systems are ina bit of a rut right now withthe same problem, to much going out not enough coming in, a few of my design/developer buddies over there haven't been paid in over 2 months!! And to think i applied for a job there...

Good luck in the set up... look forward to hearing form you soon
Sat 25/05/02 at 16:38
Tyla wrote:
> NB. Funkygamer... anymore news on your company? Still interested if
> you are.

I have asked my new accountant to set up a proper company for me. I'm moving into the new house next week. Once the company is all set up and I'm settled and I have my company broadband line fitted (not for work, for UT fragging of course ;) ), I will let you know. I have been thinking about writing a brief!

It doesn't help that I might be about to be made redundant, and developer jobs in Leeds are pretty scarce unless you want to earn 12-15k.

NOTE TO BUDDING WEB DEVELOPERS / DESIGNERS : When you think about working for a company, always make sure it is earning more than it is spending before you sign any contract. Pay no attention to how much money a company has in the bank, just make sure it has not been losing money for the last 2 years.
Sat 25/05/02 at 16:30
Garin wrote:
> Its easier to destroy than create as many of you prove quite
> frequently.
>
> Why not just leave the guy alone?

Very true. I am suitably shamed. But he brought it on himeself.

I lurked around these forums for about a month before posting, just to get the feel of the place, this guy obviously hasn't actually taken any notice of what goes on here, nor realised the skills of the people that post here are mostly in advance of his own.

Maybe we went to far. But next time he might think before he posts.
Sat 25/05/02 at 11:16
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
OK... How did I miss this post? Looks like I've missed out on some real fun here:-)

I want a site built, well actually, rebuilt... http://www.blackwell-synergy.com

NBo if you can deliver any of the technology behind this (something i doubt you could as we custom designed most of the backend and hold all rights to it!!:-)) i will be impressed...

The origonall budget for this was £2million, you have to do it in under £30k and make it scaleable for PDA and iDTV...

i want it to crossreference with a place called JSTOR (www.jstor.org) and I want a full ecommerce section with the ability to update in realtime and allow cross poulation of data across multiple servers, systems and global offices...

The data warehouse for this has to be in XML delivered through xSLT using JSP using our custom defined XML DTD 1.1. The whole data structure needs re sorting, all 800GB of it, and retagged ready for XML DTD 2.0...

Authours and societies need to be able to submit their work online, but have it delivered through the site within 24hours. This has to be automated...

Need I go on? This guy ain't got a clue... as for costs... mmmm....

When i finally launch my latest project you'll se what most people get for £25k, and thats for an internal project!!

Off to finish laughing:-)

NB. Funkygamer... anymore news on your company? Still interested if you are.
Sat 25/05/02 at 02:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
w00t: http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/
display_messages.php?threadid=44290&forumid=135

This guy needs to be killed :)
Fri 24/05/02 at 22:28
OK, I'm gonna give you a few pieces of advice for web design.

1) Don't offer to make web sites for people in a forum full of web designers - many of whom are professional.

2) When making sites which you are going to put in a portfolio or use as an example of your skill, make sure they don't say: Produced by Yahoo! etc

3) Before you make a site, plan it thoroughly on paper first. By doing this, your site will look much more professional - the SquareSpira site is on its way to looking very good....

4) Use background music with caution.

5) Use custom cursors with caution.

6) Make sure your pages don't contain Script Errors.

7) Never put a site in your portfolio if all links on it are Coming Soon...

8) Clean up your code so it looks professional (try 1st Page 2000).

9) If you are going to advertise yourself, at least charge prices that sound reasonable - this means not too high as well as not too low. An external web design agency would have charged Special Reserve £1000s for their site.

10) If you're going to be a web designer, set up a web site for your *company* first - not a games web site. If you don't already exist as a company, do so!
Fri 24/05/02 at 22:23
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
Meh, no offence mate but you are obviously not skilled enough to start charging people. You need experience. Make a few more personal sites and try to implement some JS and PHP into a few of them.

You're sites are a bit amateurish but so was everyones when they first started out.

Don't use Yahoo Page Builder either, learn some HTML.
Fri 24/05/02 at 22:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Your hardest isn't good enough.
Fri 24/05/02 at 20:44
Regular
"simpsons rule"
®eDpAtH²°°2 wrote:
> He carnt build any decent sites look at erm there sh*t
>
> He rekons he will make thousands on it. *Cough bull sh*t cough* ;-)

my sites are not sh*t i try my hardes**t why put them down
and secondly my brother said we would make thousands so get your facts s**traight ok
Fri 24/05/02 at 18:36
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Its easier to destroy than create as many of you prove quite frequently.

Why not just leave the guy alone?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.