GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My F1 insight"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 20/05/02 at 14:53
Regular
For the past two or three years Formula one has captured my heart,
I’m sure it’s captured a lot of other hearts as well.
But during the last season I think that F1 has become an unfair sport for the drivers.
Why?

Because drivers like Michael Schumacher always from the first or second row of the grid and then he ends up getting into the lead and romping of into the distance.
Which is all very well for Michael but it’s not very fair on the other drivers.
So what could we do to make it fairer?

Well we could categorise the cars like they do in the touring cars.
Maybe they could categorise them corresponding to their engine horsepower.
But then that would effectively be making F1 into a lower form of motor sport!

So the next thing that could be done to make the competition fairer is to make a rule that all the drivers must have the same amount of horsepower in their engines.
That way the drivers would have a better chance of keeping up with the other drivers.
They could choose any make of engine but they must all have the same amount of horsepower.

This would certainly make things fairer and there would be a lot more competition.
But it just wouldn’t be the same.
So maybe they could restrict the drivers maximum lead to maybe 17 seconds or something.
But I can’t really see any of those things happening!

So maybe the FIA people are doing the right thing by helping out the smaller teams by bringing in the new one engine rule!
‘cos lets face it without the new rule the smaller teams may never get the chance to catch up with the big boys of F1.
So there lays a small glimmer of hope for the smaller teams.
Infact it may even help some of the bigger teams like Mclaren or Jaguar.
But I can’t help thinking that some of these past few races have been rigged.

There was a lot of controversy over the last race. Barrichello had won that race fair and square.
But the Ferrari Boss only went and pulled team orders just at the last corner.
Therefor letting Schumi win.
Was it just to break his Jinx? at Spain or was it for other reasons.
If it was for other reasons then I can’t think what reasons those reasons could be..
Schumi surely didn’t need the points.
It would have been real nice if the Ferrari Boys let Barrichello have some glory for a change other than letting Michael have it all.

Also I reckon half the races Michael has won.
Why?
Because it’s all very well winning four or five races but winning 8+ races seems a little bit farfetched.
Michael may be the greatest driver of all time but I think he’s starting to turn into a bit of a glory hog.
Of only Mika Hakkenin were here he’d soon show Michael who’s boss.
What Formula one needs is a complete refurbishment of the top drivers.
Maybe the younger generation could be given a chance to show there worthiness.
I very much doubt though if any of this will ever happen.
Especially as Michael Schumacher is trailing yet another championship win.

Something that could be done that would make things fairer without affecting the race itself would be to limit the amount off championships a driver can win in a row.
Maybe they could limit it to two championship wins, that way drivers like Michael would have to back down and let somebody else win the championship for a change.

I think most of the smaller teams would appreciate the chance at the championship.
But yet again I wouldn’t expect to see this happen.
So I guess the one engine rule will have to do for now.

So With the recent palaver at Spain I reckon Formula1 has entered it’s dark ages.
But there is no question about it Formula1 is one of the most popular motor sports in the world, in fact personally I’d say that F1 is the most popular sport in the world next to football.

So I raise a glass to the drivers and teams that make up my favourite sport F1.
*Raises Glass*
Here’s to Formula One!
Tue 28/05/02 at 12:54
"I hate that!!!"
Your Honour wrote:
> It has provided a lot of entertainment over the years, but most of it
> was before I was born!
>
> "So what if the cars have outgrown the circuit, in my opinion
> it's one of F-1's trademarks."
>
> That makes no sense at all. Purely from a safety point of view the
> track is a nightmare. If Monaco had never been on the calender, and
> someone said "Hey, for next season, let's have a race around
> Monaco", they would be laughed out the room, end of story.

True there may be a lot of safety prospects to cover at Monaco but with a little bit of patience and some hard work They will be able to make Monaco a safe circuit to race on.

If they did upgrade Monaco then I hope they can make all the safe upgrades without changing the actuall course layout.
Tue 28/05/02 at 12:52
Regular
It has provided a lot of entertainment over the years, but most of it was before I was born!

"So what if the cars have outgrown the circuit, in my opinion it's one of F-1's trademarks."

That makes no sense at all. Purely from a safety point of view the track is a nightmare. If Monaco had never been on the calender, and someone said "Hey, for next season, let's have a race around Monaco", they would be laughed out the room, end of story.
Tue 28/05/02 at 12:48
"I hate that!!!"
But you mus agree Monaco has provided us with a lot of entertainment over the years.

So what if the cars have outgrown the circuit, in my opinion it's one of F-1's trademarks.
Without Monaco F-1 would just be (to put it bluntly) boring
Tue 28/05/02 at 11:05
Regular
funkygamer wrote:
> Well, if a race should be scrapped simply because it is boring one
> year, then most of the races on the calendar would have been got rid
> of!

Yeah, fair point I suppose.

This year, it was excellent, Monaco levelled the playing field.
> This year, Schumacher was stuck behind DC, and I'm sure that makes up
> for what happened last year. Lets face it. F1 needed a great race to
> make up for all the bad press, and it got it. Simple as that.

It wasn't a great race. There was no way Schuey was going to get past DC. Schuey had the faster car during the race, but simply couldn't get past, it's as simple as that.

Yes, Monaco is a great spectacle, and it sums up the image and glamour of F1, but the cars have outgrown the track. Back in the 60's Monaco was a good race, but now the cars have changed so much that it's poo.

I'd much rather watch a race at Spa or Japan than sit through the Monaco GP.
Tue 28/05/02 at 11:04
Regular
funkygamer wrote:
> I'll conced that it is not that great a track, but someone has already
> pointed out that it is a great spectacle, especially as there are so
> few street races, come one, the Bridge, and the corners, beautiful!
> You say all the races turn into boring processions there, well, F1 is
> in danger of that happening at every track! When I retire, I plan to
> follow F1 around the world and to attend every race in person, the one
> which I'm looking forward to the most is Monaco. The glitz, the glam,
> oh simply wonderful dahhhhling!
>
> Look at last years race, DC stuck behind the Arrows for 50 laps.
> That
> wouldn't happen at any other track, and it was boring as hell.
> Monaco
> should be scrapped.
>
> Well, if a race should be scrapped simply because it is boring one
> year, then most of the races on the calendar would have been got rid
> of!

Yeah, fair point I suppose.

This year, it was excellent, Monaco levelled the playing field.
> This year, Schumacher was stuck behind DC, and I'm sure that makes up
> for what happened last year. Lets face it. F1 needed a great race to
> make up for all the bad press, and it got it. Simple as that.

It wasn't a great race. There was no way Schuey was going to get past DC. Schuey had the faster car during the race, but simply couldn't get past, it's as simple as that.

Yes, Monaco is a great spectacle, and it sums up the image and glamour of F1, but the cars have outgrown the track. Back in the 60's Monaco was a good race, but now the cars have changed so muc
Tue 28/05/02 at 10:23
"I hate that!!!"
Monaco be scrapped? *Laughs sarcastically* how can you say that about such an exiting race track.

If there's one event in the F-1 calendar that I look forward to most it has to be Monaco.

And if Monaco was scraped then I'd have nothing to look forward to in the calendar.

Sure I'd watch the other races but without Monaco the F-1 calendar wouldn't be complete.

It's as simple as that.
Tue 28/05/02 at 09:46
Your Honour wrote:
> As a race track, it's crap. ALL the races turn into boring processions
> there. The only reason they still race there is because of the history
> and the image, NOT because it's a good track.

I'll conced that it is not that great a track, but someone has already pointed out that it is a great spectacle, especially as there are so few street races, come one, the Bridge, and the corners, beautiful! You say all the races turn into boring processions there, well, F1 is in danger of that happening at every track! When I retire, I plan to follow F1 around the world and to attend every race in person, the one which I'm looking forward to the most is Monaco. The glitz, the glam, oh simply wonderful dahhhhling!

> Look at last years race, DC stuck behind the Arrows for 50 laps. That
> wouldn't happen at any other track, and it was boring as hell. Monaco
> should be scrapped.

Well, if a race should be scrapped simply because it is boring one year, then most of the races on the calendar would have been got rid of! This year, it was excellent, Monaco levelled the playing field. This year, Schumacher was stuck behind DC, and I'm sure that makes up for what happened last year. Lets face it. F1 needed a great race to make up for all the bad press, and it got it. Simple as that.
Mon 27/05/02 at 22:17
"...Unicef pennies.."
Your Honour wrote:
> As a race track, it's crap. ALL the races turn into boring processions
> there. The only reason they still race there is because of the history
> and the image, NOT because it's a good track.

True, it has massive flaws as a racing circuit where overtaking and safety are concerned, but it's still an incredible spectacle. that keeps interest in F1 alive. Which can only be good for the sport really. So I think they should keep going there.

and IMHO opinion, this years visit was great! It had the most exciting qualifying session of the year so far, and the race itself kept me entertained! I really enjoyed it!
Mon 27/05/02 at 16:18
Regular
funkygamer wrote:
> Monaco is certainly a classic. It is the epitomy of the spirit and
> image of F1. All class.

You said the important word there: Image.

As a race track, it's crap. ALL the races turn into boring processions there. The only reason they still race there is because of the history and the image, NOT because it's a good track.

Look at last years race, DC stuck behind the Arrows for 50 laps. That wouldn't happen at any other track, and it was boring as hell. Monaco should be scrapped.
Mon 27/05/02 at 15:54
"I hate that!!!"
Well F-1 may have lost some fans over the Austria Palaver but Just looking at this topic reply count shows just how popular F-1 still is.

I will always be an F-1 fan and nothing could ever change that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.