GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Zelda GC looks......"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/05/02 at 11:41
Regular
Apalling! Yesterday I bought a copy of G-Force magazine, for the simple fact it had a free DVD with Clips of games, Including Resi(Ohh my God it looks amazing, but probably the same game as the PS1). But to my shock looking on the top corner of the front cover was a cartoon picture with the caption "LEGEND OF ZELDA GC does it benefit from it's cartoon makeover?"
Apon reading that I quickly turned to the page the feature was on and it was all true, Nintendo had changed Link from a "Realistic" looking charactor to a cartoon. In this feature they even had the nerve to show the original Gamecube pictures of the Link-Ganondorf fight from E3 2000.
The gameplay when this game comes out will propbably be similar to that of the N64 versions, but this look won't work, the Japanese may like it but I doubt very much that the Yanks and us in Europe will accept the change.

I hope they still are developing the game shown at E3 2000 and this cartoon Zelda is just a side project.
Thu 16/05/02 at 11:41
Apalling! Yesterday I bought a copy of G-Force magazine, for the simple fact it had a free DVD with Clips of games, Including Resi(Ohh my God it looks amazing, but probably the same game as the PS1). But to my shock looking on the top corner of the front cover was a cartoon picture with the caption "LEGEND OF ZELDA GC does it benefit from it's cartoon makeover?"
Apon reading that I quickly turned to the page the feature was on and it was all true, Nintendo had changed Link from a "Realistic" looking charactor to a cartoon. In this feature they even had the nerve to show the original Gamecube pictures of the Link-Ganondorf fight from E3 2000.
The gameplay when this game comes out will propbably be similar to that of the N64 versions, but this look won't work, the Japanese may like it but I doubt very much that the Yanks and us in Europe will accept the change.

I hope they still are developing the game shown at E3 2000 and this cartoon Zelda is just a side project.
Thu 16/05/02 at 11:44
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Webrhyno wrote:
> it was all true, Nintendo had changed Link from a
> "Realistic" looking charactor to a cartoon.

This is rather old news isn't it?
The cel shaded look Zelda was shown off on a video ages ago...but could be at E3 in a couple of weeks........
Thu 16/05/02 at 11:55
I'm sorry, it all came as such a shock to me, I haven't bought any Nintendo magazines since N64 Pro went crap. I was still expecting a great looking game not some crappy cell-shaded cartoon. I just wanted to air my opinion. Sorry if you alredy new.
Thu 16/05/02 at 12:02
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I'm sure it was quite a shock!
The old footage was shown off at Spaceworld or E3 in 2001 I think, and many/all gamers were expecting a more realistic version of the Zelda series, so were rather shocked to see the cartoony look.
I've got used to the new look now, so it doesn't bother me, and I think it's nice to see Nintendo keeping the Zelda series rather fresh by giving it a new angle, rather than going down the old road to ultra-realism.

Realsim in games is a tough thing to get right, where somethings may not look totally right, whereas the cartoony style can be made to the exact wishes of the designers and there are no rules as to how things should look.

It WILL be a great game, though many people will moan about it being "kiddie" etc, but I thing it looks cool.
Who knows, maybe Nintendo will surprise us again and show a realsitic Zelda at E3?? Though I doubt it.
Thu 16/05/02 at 12:03
Regular
Cell shading looks the absoloute nads you need to see it running before you comment on it. Okay Link looks like he's just got out of pre-school but other than that it looks funning great.
Thu 16/05/02 at 12:11
Totoro wrote:

> I've got used to the new look now,

>
> It WILL be a great game, though many people will moan about it being
> "kiddie" etc, but I thing it looks cool.
> Who knows, maybe Nintendo will surprise us again and show a realsitic
> Zelda at E3?? Though I doubt it.

I'm not doubting that it's going to be a great game, I just don't like the new look. As you said you got used to it, so maybe I will but in time.
Also I like the way you think, it'll be great if a realistic Zelda were shown at E3 along with the Cell Shaded one. I'm still going to buy it when it comes out cos I'm sure it'll be a great gaming experience like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were, but I'd prefer it if it kept the old look.
Thu 16/05/02 at 12:33
Regular
Why are people still moaning about the look of Zelda. It has been confirmed for weeks now that this is the case, and I for one commend Nintendo on this move.

The only prblem you lot have is with yourselves; dismissing a game just because it looks like a cartoon rather than reality. You want reality, open your eyes. You want a cartoon, then watch one and slip out of reality for a while.

Games are an escape from real life. Who cares what the hell they look like as long as they play well? This new look Zelda will open up many more new gaming opportunities. Since when have you seen a cartoon character not be able to do something that an actor can't?

Get a life people - there are many more things in this world to worry about than the look of Zelda.
Thu 16/05/02 at 12:37
"Darkness, always"
I say to anyone who says the cartoony look won't catch on:

people said the same about the Final Fantasy style of rpg
people said the same about dragon ball Z
people said the same about nintendo
Thu 16/05/02 at 12:40
Cubic Anus wrote:
> Get a life people - there are many more things in this world to worry
> about than the look of Zelda.

Well why have you joined into this chat? It seems to me that you also need to get a life cos you have just been a tad hypocritical.
Another thing is that this is my personnal opinion on the subject I'm just saying that I would prefer a realistic Zelda game.
Thu 16/05/02 at 12:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
But you buy it for the gamplay and not the graphics!!

And i'm also sure it'll be ok.
Cel-shading looks great in action, i've seen it in Jet Set Radio and Tekken 3, but we don't like it cuz it doesn't suit an RPG's style and we were expecting what we saw at E3 2000.

I still hope that it's all a big Ninty joke though!
But that doesn't mean that I won't buy a Zelda game if it is cel-shaded.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.