GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yay for ROCK"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/05/02 at 19:25
Regular
Roadrunner held a funeral for nu-metal in Australia.

And proper rock is coming, mark my words.
No more will we have to listen to sulky blokes in big shorts with turntables telling you how hard school is or how much you hate your mum and stuff.
(Heard the new Papa Roach single last night, ends with the refrain "Life's not fair! Life's not fair! Life's not fair!", classic comedy)

No, true rock is coming. And it's coming wearing jeans, smoking unfiltered cigarettes, clutching a beer and refusing to leap about in videos.

And, for my money, leading the pack is a top, top band I just fell into called "Soil".
Think Pantera mixed with a bit of Clutch, some Prong.
Go download a tune called "Halo" to get a taste.
Essential ROCK.
Not nu-metal or "emo".

"Emo"...*shakes head*
Should be called "Chicks like rock too".

Nope, here comes ROCK to teach you how to play like your life depends on it.
Soil - "Halo".
Go get some.
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:44
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Heard of Soil before you Goaty :p

Neh neh neh neh neh.

And they're playing near me pretty soon.
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:44
Regular
Is it because you love me? It's because you love me, isn't it?
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:41
"Uzi Lover"
Stryke wrote:
I think Maladroit, Weezers new album, is only £8.99,
> which is pretty good value.

Pretty good value?!? Thats bloody good value!

*jumps over to play.com*
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:38
Regular
Play are also a damn good place to buy CDs. They import them from America. I think Maladroit, Weezers new album, is only £8.99, which is pretty good value.
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:11
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Cool, I've been on a buying spree at Amazon recently so I'll check them out soon.
Fri 10/05/02 at 18:01
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
They're Emo in the sense of seminal emotional hardcore, like Jawbreaker, but more accessible. The bassist, Nate Mendal, is now in the Foo Fighters and you can see the link to the Foo Fighters if you listen to both bands in succession.

They're best album is Diary, or Dairy if you buy it off Amazon, and after that they found God and became pretty crappy. Diary rocks though.

Pheurton Skeurton is my favourite track, because it has this really haunting piano part in the background. But songs like "Circles" are good as well. They're all good in fact.
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:56
"Uzi Lover"
Sunny Day Real Estate are a great emo band, two songs I love which I can think of are In Circles and Shadows.

Jets To Brazil are on the Jade Tree label! :-)

They have to be my favourite label with New End Original, Onelinedrawing and Texas Is The Reason all once or are on there.
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:54
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Sorry Goatboy, we seem to be turning your ROCK thread in a distinctly punk/emo direction. Maybe we should start another thread ;)

Still, if it helps I'm currently listening to The Wildhearts. If you want classic goodtime rock it doesn't get much better than that.

And nope, not heard of them Mr. Happy. What are they like?
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:51
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
As far as the Ataris go, get anything of the "Blue Skies, Broken Hearts..." CD. It's pretty much straightforward punk-pop with lyrics about being frustrated by (or screwed over by) women. Not entirely original I grant you, but they do it really well. One of my favourite albums of the last couple of years.
Fri 10/05/02 at 17:47
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Yes! Jawbreaker rock. I bought 24hr revenge therapy about a month ago and it's brilliant.

But Blake whateverhisnameis is now in Jets to Brazil who are acoustic emo balladeers. Gone is the angry punk and in are the heartbroken melodies.

Still both bands are good in their own ways. And both were affiliated to J Robbins in his guise as either Jawbox or Burning Airlines. And Burning Airlines do intelligent rock.

Has anyone heard Sunny Day Real Estate?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.